The Sinclair-ization thread

tyrannical bastard

According my my list and using NMSA records to help, these are the stations that have not gotten the new Music and Graphics yet,

Stations whose news is produced by another station and owner

WXLV (Time Warner Cable News)

WUTV (WGRZ)

WPGH (WPXI)

WLFL (WTVD)

KBSI (KFVS)

KDSM (WHO)

Barrington

(WTVH)

WLUC (being sold off to Gray in Exchange for WSBT)

Newport/Cox

WPMI

Fisher

KVAL and Satellites

1. Don't expect WXLV to get it. With TWCN in the mix, there's just no way they are getting the Sinclair graphics.
  2. The Channel 2 News branding is on WUTV so NOPE.
  3. You can say the same situation for WPXI on WPGH.
  4. With WLFL getting news from "ABC 11 Eyewitness News," I just can't see WTVD using a Sinclair package to simply produce news for another station.
  5. KBSI has already digged into the Raycom look, so no thank you.
  6. KDSM won't get it either. Never had the Sinclair look when produced by WHO, so NOPE to the graphics change.
  7. WTVH is still owned by Granite, but they have yet sold it to different owners other than WTVH. But I think WSTM/WSTQ will get them and not WTVH.
  8. WLUC won't get them since, the reason you already mentioned, being sold to Gray in exchange for WSBT.
  9. With WEAR already having the new Sinclair graphics look, why would WPMI do the same?
  10. Same here in Eugene. KMTR already has them, so why would KVAL have them as well?

*NOTE: WMYG in Gainesville no longer shows local news. They stopped doing so in 2013, leaving the 6 and 11pm shows as the only ones GTN News airs.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  1. Don't expect WXLV to get it. With TWCN in the mix, there's just no way they are getting the Sinclair graphics.
  4. With WLFL getting news from "ABC 11 Eyewitness News," I just can't see WTVD using a Sinclair package to simply produce news for another station.
  6. KDSM won't get it either. Never had the Sinclair look when produced by WHO, so NOPE to the graphics change.
  7. WTVH is still owned by Granite, but they have yet sold it to different owners other than WTVH. But I think WSTM/WSTQ will get them and not WTVH.
  8. WLUC won't get them since, the reason you already mentioned, being sold to Gray in exchange for WSBT.
  9. With WEAR already having the new Sinclair graphics look, why would WPMI do the same?
  10. Same here in Eugene. KMTR already has them, so why would KVAL have them as well?

*NOTE: WMYG in Gainesville no longer shows local news. They stopped doing so in 2013, leaving the 6 and 11pm shows as the only ones GTN News airs.

But WSBT will get the new graphics

It's not unprecedented for 2 Sinclair stations in the same market to have the new graphics. In San Antonio, NBC affiliate WOAI uses the white graphics with blue type. Over on Fox affiliate KABB, it's flipped: blue graphics with white type. Same fonts. Similar animations. You name it.

Even though WRLH has the old Sinclair graphics with Gari's "Daily News" and haven't switched to the new ones yet, the current Raycom weather graphics from WWBT (with the Fox Richmond logo on it) are currently used on both 7am and 10pm newscasts.

Another difference is in the "Glass" and "Curves" animations. Chances are if one station is using one, the other station will use the other.

This is the case most times between ABC and FOX affiliations. Usually the ABC station uses the "curved" look, and the FOX counterpart uses the "glass" look.

Likewise with the super colors.

Based on this, WPMI will likely end up with the "Glass" package and blue supers, since their cross-town counterparts WEAR are using "Curves" with white supers.

To me it sucks in comparison to some of the other Sinclair stations' opens

I do like the fact the L3's animate more than they do with Sinclair affiliates in much large markets *cough* KOMO and WJLA *cough*.

The graphics don't look as basic when they actually animate them.

According my my list and using NMSA records to help, these are the stations that have not gotten the new Music and Graphics yet,

Stations whose news is produced by another station and owner

WXLV (Time Warner Cable News)

WUTV (WGRZ)

WTGS (WJCL)

WRLH (WWBT)

WPGH (WPXI)

WOLF (WBRE)

(WNBW/WMYG/WGFL) (INN NEWS)

WMSN (WISC)

WLFL (WTVD)

KBSI (KFVS)

KSAS (KSMW)

WDKY (WKYT)

KDSM (WHO)

Barrington

(WSTM, WSTQ, WTVH)

(WPBM/WTOM)

WNWO

WLUC (being sold off to Gray in Exchange for WSBT)

(WGTU/WGTQ)

WFXL

WEYI

KTVO

KHQA

Freedom

WRGB

(WKRC/WSTR)

KUTV

Newport/Cox

WPMI

WJAC

Other Deals

KMPH

KPTM

WLUK

WGXA

Fisher

KVAL and Satellites

KIMA

KLEW

Sinclair's implementation of these graphics have never made any sense to me.

KUTV has been using the new graphics for the weather for nearly a year now I think. I just realized they are still using the old graphics for everything else.

WKRC is even more painfully slow rolling it out. If you watch their weather segments, you catch them using the Sinclair font (I forgot what the official name of it is) in a few select portions of their forecast graphics.

http://local12.com/weather

They don't need to rush though. I like their current graphics and moving to the Sinclair package will definitely be a downgrade for WKRC.

WEYI & WPBN/WTOM isn't 100% true -- They've been using the new graphics for weather and WEYI also got a logo makeover for months now and have the new website layout.. I'm assuming you are meaning as a whole -- why they haven't switched completely over is beyond me...

Yes, But isn't WEYI Producing the news on WSMH now? Because if that is the case, they should have it now, WSMH got it several Months ago

UM, Who is WTVH being sold to, haven't seen anything about them and what happens after march of this year when there deal with Sinclair and WSTM expires?

UM, Who is WTVH being sold to, haven't seen anything about them and what happens after march of this year when there deal with Sinclair and WSTM expires?

I haven't heard of anything yet and I'm surprised that Granite has yet to sell WTVH. If the deal expires, I just see WTVH going temporary on its own with Granite until they can find a new owner to deal with the last place news station.

I haven't heard of anything yet and I'm surprised that Granite has yet to sell WTVH. If the deal expires, I just see WTVH going temporary on its own with Granite until they can find a new owner to deal with the last place news station.

Who would buy WTVH though? The new owners would have to spend a LOT of money in order for the station to be competitive

Who would buy WTVH though? The new owners would have to spend a LOT of money in order for the station to be competitive

That's the problem. So many branding changes, so many refreshed newscasts, so much confusion and so much low ratings. I think even WSYT does better than WTVH and yet, they have no news at all.

yeah, cant think of anyone who would buy it, Sinclair cant but them Right out, Nexstar already has WSYR... Heartland or Gray, all i can think of who would even consider, plus they still share news staff with WSTM, somebody has a ton on investing to do and i just don't see it happening.. probably ending up a spectrum bait and moved to WSTM's DT2

Surprisingly, KUNS (and presumably KUNP as well) didn't get the new graphics, despite KOMO and KATU getting them, why?

In fairness, WPMI/WJTC hasn't received the graphics either, even though WEAR/WFGX has.

Considering the current look consists of two sets of stanardized graphics and theme packages, in markets where Sinclair operates two stations that produce separate newscasts, it would be feasible to "differentiate" the productions by allowing one station to use the "Glass" graphics and music package, and the other to use the "Curves" graphics and music.

In fairness, WPMI/WJTC hasn't received the graphics either, even though WEAR/WFGX has.

Considering the current look consists of two sets of stanardized graphics and theme packages, in markets where Sinclair operates two stations that produce separate newscasts, it would be feasible for one station to use the "Glass" graphics and the other to use the "Curves" graphics and music to "differentiate".

Even that won't be differentiated enough, which is one area Nexstar does extremely well most of the time

Archived