Will Brian Williams ever return to NBC Nightly News?

TVNewsJunkie15

Will Brian Williams ever return to NBC Nightly News?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will Brian Williams ever return to NBC Nightly News?

• No
    • Yes
    • Not Sure yet

Do you Brian Williams ever return to NBC Nightly News? Yes or No?

Many Insiders (Including top Executives and Anchors/Hosts within NBC) do not think he will eber be back.

At first I thought he would be back but now two months (And after several articles that have since came out) on I am of the opinion he will never return. If it was just the one story it would have been different, Six Months is such a long time how do you ever return and recover after something like that? And then there Lester who been doing a great job and ratings are holding up well. It would almost be like a demotion in a way.

Also if No do you think Brain will be let go permanently before August? I do. I think it only a matter of time before we get a announcement and now with Andy Lack the decision process will speed up.

Even though Lack just started, if Brian goes, I think the decision will either come down really soon, or it'll wait til June. If they announce Brian's dismissal during sweeps, they run the risk of losing a decent chunk of viewers that are staying loyal to NN, but waiting for Williams' return. By doing it in the summer, a drop-off could be blamed on naturally-low summer numbers, giving them a few months to formally rebuild. On the other side, if they dump him now (and install Lester, which would be the easiest transition), they could build some brand equity by the end of this month.

It comes down to one word, Credibility.

What NBC is hoping that the normal public (Not the TVNT Types like us) forget that this whole thing happen within these six months and goes away.

It won't happen that way as there will be people that will bite at this with a viciousness never before seen.

Problem is NBC has a credibility issue with Brian Williams and all it takes is one person saying "He lied about this thing, What if he's lying about the news right now." With the swiss hole job at NBC News (The ongoing Investigation) and the changes there (New President of News Operations). It might be in his best interest to leave the desk permanently. Does he have the pride to do this is another question?

Lester Holt is a good replacement at the desk as has the credibility needed with the viewers to do the Job, Question is does NBC want to give Holt the seat?

Lester Holt is a good replacement at the desk as has the credibility needed with the viewers to do the Job, Question is does NBC want to give Holt the seat?

I have seen Lester's credibility debated elsewhere. Keep in mind this is the guy that was hosting the Westminister Dog Show not even 10 years ago and currently fronts their tabloidy Newsmagazine, Dateline. People were giving Brian grief for being on 30 Rock, well, guess what. Lester has too.

I'd say several of NBC's correspondents are a little more credible than Lester.

I believe if NBC were seriously considering any other candidates they would have experimented a little bit by now. They could have had someone fill in during Easter break and "give" Lester take some time off. Since this whole debacle started it's been Lester anchoring every show save for one where Savannah Guthrie hosted during a family emergency.

As much as I liked Brian and rooted for him in the beginning when this was one screw up I don't think he should come back. I mentioned before it's like finding out your spouse has been cheating on you since before you were engaged and you start to question whether the relationship was real or if everything was a lie.

It comes down to one word, Credibility.

What NBC is hoping that the normal public (Not the TVNT Types like us) forget that this whole thing happen within these six months and goes away.

It won't happen that way as there will be people that will bite at this with a viciousness never before seen.

Problem is NBC has a credibility issue with Brian Williams and all it takes is one person saying "He lied about this thing, What if he's lying about the news right now." With the swiss hole job at NBC News (The ongoing Investigation) and the changes there (New President of News Operations). It might be in his best interest to leave the desk permanently. Does he have the pride to do this is another question?

It does seem like Viewers so far are liking Lester. They are still number 1 (not including the loss form the week before) and Viewers not turning out in does so that good for Lester but bad for Brian. I agree with your post, Brian has damage NBC credibility. I know many want him back (form looking at Twitter and Facebook but that is the truth. I don't think some have really gasp how serious this is or know that it more then one story now.

Even though Lack just started, if Brian goes, I think the decision will either come down really soon, or it'll wait til June. If they announce Brian's dismissal during sweeps, they run the risk of losing a decent chunk of viewers that are staying loyal to NN, but waiting for Williams' return. By doing it in the summer, a drop-off could be blamed on naturally-low summer numbers, giving them a few months to formally rebuild. On the other side, if they dump him now (and install Lester, which would be the easiest transition), they could build some brand equity by the end of this month.

Agree. I never thought about the May Sweeps thing. They are not going to want to make the change permanent right in the middle of Sweep Season. So either in the next Two Weeks or after May Sweeps will be best bet. I would think they may want to make the change before the May upfront in order to promote Lester to advertisers. If it not by early May then will be more in the Middle of June or Early July.

As I said before I don't see them waiting until August to make a final decision. Back in February it seem like it was so far away but now August seem so close in a way.

I believe if NBC were seriously considering any other candidates they would have experimented a little bit by now. They could have had someone fill in during Easter break and "give" Lester take some time off. Since this whole debacle started it's been Lester anchoring every show save for one where Savannah Guthrie hosted during a family emergency.

As much as I liked Brian and rooted for him in the beginning when this was one screw up I don't think he should come back. I mentioned before it's like finding out your spouse has been cheating on you since before you were engaged and you start to question whether the relationship was real or if everything was a lie.

I can't see anyone other then Lester. There is Savannah but they are not going to want to move her off TODAY Show which is now starting to show some stability with it cast. She also just signed a contract back in January. She did fill in one day but was because Lester had a family emergency. I also can not see Savannah taking the job anyway as she a new Mother and she would be working like 12 Hours a day. TODAY Show accommodate her very nicely. She now to settled into that Morning show role.

So the next Question is who would take Lester spot on Weekend Nightly, Weekend TODAY and Dateline? Four that comes to mind are:Kate Snow, Peter Alexander, Craig Melvin and Carl Quintanilla

The way I picture it is:

Dateline Kate

Weekend TODAY Peter or Craig

Weekend Nightly Peter or Carl

Best best is Craig joins becomes Weekend TODAY Anchor and Peter becomes Weekend Nightly News anchor. They could have two

So the next Question is who would take Lester spot on Weekend Nightly, Weekend TODAY and Dateline? Four that comes to mind are:Kate Snow, Peter Alexander, Craig Melvin and Carl Quintanilla

The way I picture it is:

Dateline Kate

Weekend TODAY Peter or Craig

Weekend Nightly Peter or Carl

Best best is Craig joins becomes Weekend TODAY Anchor and Peter becomes Weekend Nightly News anchor. They could have two

I say Peter joins Weekend Today, since he's on the Weekday Today a lot with Carl taking over Weekend Nightly.

I say Peter joins Weekend Today, since he's on the Weekday Today a lot with Carl taking over Weekend Nightly.

I think Craig Melvin is the better choice for TODAY. He seems more like a morning show host over Peter, and he holds priority in my mind over Peter especially because he's billed as the interim anchor. Peter gets Nightly, and I don't know what they're gonna give Carl if anything.

I think Craig Melvin is the better choice for TODAY. He seems more like a morning show host over Peter, and he holds priority in my mind over Peter especially because he's billed as the interim anchor. Peter gets Nightly, and I don't know what they're gonna give Carl if anything.

Carl only came into my mind because he often fills in on Weekend TODAY and Nightly and I saw his name pop up a couple places.

I haven't seen him fill in for a few weeks . I do agree with your post. POeter a better fit for Nightly while Craig fit nicely with TODAY.

Carl only came into my mind because he often fills in on Weekend TODAY and Nightly and I saw his name pop up a couple places.

I haven't seen him fill in for a few weeks . I do agree with your post. POeter a better fit for Nightly while Craig fit nicely with TODAY.

But through this whole mess, Craig has basically been the primary Weekend Today fill-in and Peter on Nightly News. So Carl really hasn't been a big name through all of this.

I say if Brian returns to NBC News, Lester will stay as weekend anchor of Nightly News & the host of Weekend Today. I hope Brian returns for real to the weekday anchor chair on Nightly News, so Craig and Peter continued on as correspondents of NBC News. And don't let Brian let go from NBC News for good, and not returning to WCBS-TV New York, and not to be Dana Tyler's new co-anchor and partner for the 6pm weekday evening newscast.

I say if Brian returns to NBC News, Lester will stay as weekend anchor of Nightly News & the host of Weekend Today. I hope Brian returns for real to the weekday anchor chair on Nightly News, so Craig and Peter continued on as correspondents of NBC News. And don't let Brian let go from NBC News for good, and not returning to WCBS-TV New York, and not to be Dana Tyler's new co-anchor and partner for the 6pm weekday evening newscast.

Just for fun we will do exactly that... Excellent suggestion and I'm sure WCBS will be thrilled.

This is all fodder for speculatron but what about Harry Smith for weekend Nightly? He was a good host over at CBS News until he was wooed over to do Rock Center. He seems very personable and and has the type of voice where he could be delivering the worst possible news but still make the viewer comfortable. He's approaching the retirement age but I think they could just have him work Saturday and Sunday. It seems like he's a part timer in his current capacity.

This is all fodder for speculatron but what about Harry Smith for weekend Nightly? He was a good host over at CBS News until he was wooed over to do Rock Center. He seems very personable and and has the type of voice where he could be delivering the worst possible news but still make the viewer comfortable. He's approaching the retirement age but I think they could just have him work Saturday and Sunday. It seems like he's a part timer in his current capacity.

I would think they'd want someone younger than Lester. Perhaps a possible successor after Lester retires. Harry doesn't fit that description.

NBC is in a no-win situation. They are probably best served by letting this quiet down and then cutting Brian loose, but at the same time, they ARE twisting him in the wind.

NBC News has so many internal issues right now that Lester is pretty much the only realistic option they have. And by default, he will probably be promoted by September.

NBC is in a no-win situation. They are probably best served by letting this quiet down and then cutting Brian loose, but at the same time, they ARE twisting him in the wind.

NBC News has so many internal issues right now that Lester is pretty much the only realistic option they have. And by default, he will probably be promoted by September.

Agreed. If they were smart, let him serve his 6 month suspension which ends in summer while viewership is low and quietly announce that they have parted ways with him. It's the only way to keep this story dead and let NBC News try to rebuild and move on.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Brian will not be back at Nightly News. Question is now: when do they announce it? Do they let Brian resign, or do they fire him publicly to make a statement about their credibility? Although this is bad, NBC shouldn't forget that he anchored their top rated broadcast for 10 years. They have a lot to consider, but I hope they act sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Brian will not be back at Nightly News. Question is now: when do they announce it? Do they let Brian resign, or do they fire him publicly to make a statement about their credibility? Although this is bad, NBC shouldn't forget that he anchored their top rated broadcast for 10 years. They have a lot to consider, but I hope they act sooner rather than later.

I'm guessing they would prefer that he resign so that (1) they don't seem (as much) like the bad guys, and (2) they don't have to pay a multi-million dollar severance package.

I don't think I posted this before but I doubt he will return to the anchor chair. But I do think NBC will pull an Ann Curry giving him an occasional special until his contract is up.

• 1 month later...

Archived