How did you represent yourself?

Funny enough as someone on a local media message board (a lot of talents from XYZ post there) that is a viewer and called the stations comment line with a few questions. He called back because he reads the same board and wanted to respond to our discussion... It was a reasonable one too. Subsequent calls were as a representative of said organization. WDIV and WJBK took me seriously and were really nice about any requests for press releases and stuff (I'm on both press lists now) but this guy had no interest in even replying about ratings or anything else... Maybe it's their dismal position in the market... I did the right thing and gave him a couple of different opportunities from a couple of sweeps to respond. Not even a no comment. His loss. More or less it's as good as a media blog.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHY? don't they get the traditional Circle 7 logo and be "ABC 7 News". It would look much better with that logo than that generic one they use. For years since they became ABC, no other logos seem right or even Action News like sister station WXYZ.

Not very well, but it seems like a tough habit to break. The station has seemed to lag behind KUSA and KCNC for a long time, but at least in the McGraw-Hill days, they could hang their hat on the investigative department's award-winning reports. That seems to be gone now, so their edge has vanished.

Not very well, but it seems like a tough habit to break. The station has seemed to lag behind KUSA and KCNC for a long time, but at least in the McGraw-Hill days, they could hang their hat on the investigative department's award-winning reports. That seems to be gone now, so their edge has vanished.

That's exactly what has happened to KGTV.

Makes ya kinda miss the Time-Life days.

If you're in 3rd do award winning reports mean as much? I suppose if it grows viewers and they move up to 1st or 2nd it would but otherwise they are more like participation trophies if nobody is watching...

If you're in 3rd do award winning reports mean as much? I suppose if it grows viewers and they move up to 1st or 2nd it would but otherwise they are more like participation trophies if nobody is watching...

They are languishing at 4th now.

That's even worse... If anything gets worse there or even better does anybody notice at that point?

Yes. At this time though, the GM and CSD are massaging the numbers in their reports to Scripps so that they can keep their jobs. This crap will probably last 2 or 3 more sweep cycles before a few people are terminated.

Yes. At this time though, the GM and CSD are massaging the numbers in their reports to Scripps so that they can keep their jobs. This crap will probably last 2 or 3 more sweep cycles before a few people are terminated.

How do you mean massaging? Budget or ratings... I'm pretty sure corporate can open the ratings and feast on the numbers daily anytime it wants via Rentrak or Nielsen... I can't see how they could fiddle with the budget much either...

How do you mean massaging? Budget or ratings... I'm pretty sure corporate can open the ratings and feast on the numbers daily anytime it wants via Rentrak or Nielsen... I can't see how they could fiddle with the budget much either...

The ratings. There is quite a bit of room apparently to cherry pick the data that they send to corporate.

Me thinks Cincy trumps Denver's thoughts... Just a wild guess...

Don't be so sure....

Depends on how much autonomy you give your ND's GSM's and GM's.

Plenty of TV Execs have that written into contracts. Never ever assume every officer in a company has the same conditions. Lots of TV execs are completely in the "Leave me alone and let me do my job" contract clause .

It's pretty simple sometimes....

"We will leave you alone...but after1- 2 years if we don't like the results your gone."

Also...

The ratings "books" are very limited in distribution at most stations, and very, very few people see the entire thing because copies and access to the versions cost MONEY. They would charge to just breath on one if they could.

Some stations toss the overnights out to staff just to shut them up.

The stuff in press releases is useless to anyone that is not savvy enough to spin it correctly.

When I was an intern at WDIV they emailed me a ratings book when we won sweeps... It doesn't take a genius to read it correctly... It took me 10 minutes...

Im saying that an executive at Scripps (their VP of News for instance) would have access to every last number they want whenever they want. The subscription is bought at the group level. So even if those clauses are there I have to believe that if somebody in Cincy got alarmed at something they could be right there book in hand on the phone talking about it with the local management. Leaving them to their own devices and having them feed numbers back doesn't make a lot of sense...

When I was an intern at WDIV they emailed me a ratings book when we won sweeps... It doesn't take a genius to read it correctly... It took me 10 minutes...

You probably were emailed select, limited portions of a book.

Interns don't get whole books.

A station would be insane to allow an intern possession of that.

No station wants to get SUSPENDED from the book due to leaks and general misuse. There are very clear contracts about it's use.

You probably were emailed select, limited portions of a book.

Interns don't get whole books.

A station would be insane to allow an intern possession of that.

No station wants to get SUSPENDED from the book due to leaks and general misuse. There are very clear contracts about it's use.

It was station email... But there were I don't know 20 or so categories... I think the only thing it didn't break down was race...

But it was the whole day Monday thru Sunday with all the total viewers, total men, total women, 18-49 for adults, men and women and the 25-54's with the same info. Seems like there was some other stuff too. It was the same stuff that everybody from the GM on down got...

• 1 month later...
FTVLive is reporting that a significant portion of KMGH's promotion department is being kicked to the curb.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/2/10/bouncing-the-promo-department-in-denver

You have to wonder if the crappy rebranding has something to do with it...

No. Actually the person who pushed the crappy rebrand (aka the Creative Service Director) fired all of his staff.

He didn't want anyone to question his terrible designs.

That may be the case, but Remington and Holly deserved some say. They are traveling in three different directions and making no headway in ratings. Scripps is taking a hands-off reproach and these are the results. A floundering station working in cramped quarters.

That may be the case, but Remington and Holly deserved some say. They are traveling in three different directions and making no headway in ratings. Scripps is taking a hands-off reproach and these are the results. A floundering station working in cramped quarters.

But that was the case when they got it in 2011...

Archived