Probably the focus groups work for Scripps and Scripps told them to reject the idea of dumping "Denver's 7" for "ABC 7"

Obviously Denver-based focus groups are completely a waste of time to consult with, if not worthless outright.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can tell you that's a major reason why Tenga is using various systems instead of VizRT (even though they had the option), because it would have required their designers to learn a whole new platform. So I don't know if what you are saying is so easily brushed off because VizRT has a broad learning curve and new instructions.

My sources indicate Scripps is paying VizRT to convert the current graphics to the VizRT platform. Journal was a Viz company, so there are plenty of staffers already employed by the company who know Viz as well.

It's likely that the graphics might "work" differently (different animations, movement might be different, things will be more dynamic), but for the umpteenth time: there's little chance this look is going anywhere anytime soon.

Oh god, I've seen this pop up on their Facebook page videos this week. Please don't tell me this is going to be the logo for everything now. This screams of a station scrambling to change something, because...

22557796126_ef2fab93fd_c.jpg

I have a bet with a staffer about how long this will last. I say 3 sweep periods.

My sources indicate Scripps is paying VizRT to convert the current graphics to the VizRT platform. Journal was a Viz company, so there are plenty of staffers already employed by the company who know Viz as well.

It's likely that the graphics might "work" differently (different animations, movement might be different, things will be more dynamic), but for the umpteenth time: there's little chance this look is going anywhere anytime soon.

It would still be a good chance to streamline and refresh the graphics... Any of those tweaks you described above would amount to a minor refresh... I'd imagine it'll be a few months before they get the Viz version of Scripps V2 graphics to the stations. The individual stations might also request changes to what individualized things they have now (weather, the flying box, logos and maybe some improvements to full screen graphics capabilities) too...

The system Scripps existing stations are still using is overloaded as it is so this is a welcome change if it smooths things out...

I'm watching their news right now. That is actually the logo.

Why have local TV stations' already somewhat deficient taste in what logos should look like degenerated even further lately?

And the First Alert Weather 'logo' is just a typeface over a box. I'm having words with management. This is moronic.

I don't know how new these are, but what the hell is with this style of promo? No Inergy theme, different graphics, craptactular logo and branding. How is Scripps allowing ANY of this/how long will they let this go on?

I don't know how new these are, but what the hell is with this style of promo? No Inergy theme, different graphics, craptactular logo and branding. How is Scripps allowing ANY of this/how long will they let this go on?

One thing you have to realize is that Scripps stations aren't exactly standardized. One size doesn't fit all...

So KMGH made its own promo graphics (that sure as heck doesn't look anything like a hub product) and is using different music for the promo. For Scripps that's ok. Remember a year or two ago their station in San Diego made its own 11pm preview graphics (nobody like those either as I recall).

The question becomes "did the newscast itself look any different graphically"?

These are from this week since they just rebranded to Denver 7 today or yesterday. None of Scripps stations implement any of their graphical templates or music the same. The stations seem to have wide leeway over what they use, when they use it and how they use it. See my Sports OTS box used as a preview of a newscast in the general Scripps thread if you want proof...

I love how they got their new logo on the homemade promo, the weather segment and the bug (?... It wasn't in any videos I could find from today) but none of their other stuff (flying box, social media etc.) has Denver 7 on it... Heck that tweet says watch Denver 7 with the old branding as the entity that posted it... Fantastic.

I don't think the logo is THAT terrible, however it would've looked better if "Denver" was in line center-horizontally with the circle 7. Also, "Denver 7" just feels incomplete. "Denver'S 7" is how I want to naturally finish the phrase.

Now that tease on the other hand...THAT is bad. There were OBVIOUSLY different cuts of music used for each portion. No flow at all.

That's the same desk that KDKA and WAGA are using.

Considering those are entirely unrelated stations it's interesting that they would get a similar desk. Must be the same design company did the work on all of them.

"Set in a box" refers to the sets that a few Scripps stations have gotten (KSHB, WCPO come to mind though it seems like there are one or two more) that are virtually identical...

Considering those are entirely unrelated stations it's interesting that they would get a similar desk. Must be the same design company did the work on all of them.

"Set in a box" refers to the sets that a few Scripps stations have gotten (KSHB, WCPO come to mind though it seems like there are one or two more) that are virtually identical...

Both Devlin.

One thing you have to realize is that Scripps stations aren't exactly standardized. One size doesn't fit all...

So KMGH made its own promo graphics (that sure as heck doesn't look anything like a hub product) and is using different music for the promo. For Scripps that's ok. Remember a year or two ago their station in San Diego made its own 11pm preview graphics (nobody like those either as I recall).

The question becomes "did the newscast itself look any different graphically"?

These are from this week since they just rebranded to Denver 7 today or yesterday. None of Scripps stations implement any of their graphical templates or music the same. The stations seem to have wide leeway over what they use, when they use it and how they use it. See my Sports OTS box used as a preview of a newscast in the general Scripps thread if you want proof...

I love how they got their new logo on the homemade promo, the weather segment and the bug (?... It wasn't in any videos I could find from today) but none of their other stuff (flying box, social media etc.) has Denver 7 on it... Heck that tweet says watch Denver 7 with the old branding as the entity that posted it... Fantastic.

Scripps corporate is actually quite concerned about how their stations look and sound. I think they would appreciate it if everyone used the same exact music and graphics at all time. The problem is they can't really physically stop this kind of stuff from happening. About all they can do is sit back and watch... until ratings start to go down, of course. Then they'll clean house and likely get someone more cooperative installed.

Everything about this switch screams of someone at KMGH "going rogue" and disapproval from corporate (the lack of any "official" graphics points to this.)

The difference in the official templates amongst stations is probably attributed more towards varying hardware at the stations, and it'll probably get worse before it gets better as they re-standardize onto VizRT.

Heck that tweet says watch Denver 7 with the old branding as the entity that posted it... Fantastic.

That actually was an embedded Facebook post. And Facebook page names can be a pain in the butt to change if they are permanently set in place. I've been in that position before.

Scripps corporate is actually quite concerned about how their stations look and sound. I think they would appreciate it if everyone used the same exact music and graphics at all time. The problem is they can't really physically stop this kind of stuff from happening. About all they can do is sit back and watch... until ratings start to go down, of course. Then they'll clean house and likely get someone more cooperative installed.

Everything about this switch screams of someone at KMGH "going rogue" and disapproval from corporate (the lack of any "official" graphics points to this.)

The difference in the official templates amongst stations is probably attributed more towards varying hardware at the stations, and it'll probably get worse before it gets better as they re-standardize onto VizRT.

See I don't think that's the case... If it were then all 21 of the original Scripps stations (let's leave the VizRT aside for a moment) would have been done the same to begin with and they would have cleaned house to get that done in the past 3 years. They haven't done that though.

They seem to care that all their stations have the same music and graphics packages but beyond that I can't see how it could get so incredibly out of hand. The hub put the packages together... Put on the logos and all that fun stuff and sent them off to the various stations for use. The stations must have a lot of leeway to implement the graphics and music to suit their needs. Otherwise they would have ordered every station to be the same years ago and they would have fired anyone who spoke up against the plan... Cincy does not have to sit back and watch anything... That's just not a reasonable thing to assume, they hold every card and can pull any lever they want at any time. There's EVERYTHING they can do... Not nothing as its their station...

If anything allowing this to continue is an experiment by Scripps and somebody convinced them to give it a shot.

On the other hand If Scripps does indeed want 33 100% identical stations they are fools. What works at WFTS or KNXV won't work at WXYZ or WCPO.

Another good example:

Last November Scripps sent those dark blue with red tab preview graphics to its stations. Every station used them previewing the late news after primetime credits. Then WXYZ decided for their Monday through Friday newscasts they were inadequate. They now use the graphics intended to be used to preview what's ahead going to a commercial break or what's going to happen on the newscast that are used at the beginning.

I'm sure they have some kind of permission to do that and use the graphics as they see fit. Otherwise heads would have rolled and the practice would have quickly stopped. Point is that there's no good reason for them all to look completely identical and be locked into an exact format using the same graphics the same way at the same time... They will always be variable based on the station and the markets needs.

See I don't think that's the case... If it were then all 21 of the original Scripps stations (let's leave the VizRT aside for a moment) would have been done the same to begin with and they would have cleaned house to get that done in the past 3 years. They haven't done that though.

They seem to care that all their stations have the same music and graphics packages but beyond that I can't see how it could get so incredibly out of hand. The hub put the packages together... Put on the logos and all that fun stuff and sent them off to the various stations for use. The stations must have a lot of leeway to implement the graphics and music to suit their needs. Otherwise they would have ordered every station to be the same years ago and they would have fired anyone who spoke up against the plan...

If Scripps did want 33 100% identical stations they are fools. What works at WFTS or KNXV won't work at WXYZ or WCPO.

Another good example:

Last November Scripps sent those dark blue with red tab preview graphics to its stations. Every station used them previewing the 11 after primetime credits. Then WXYZ decided for their Monday through Friday newscasts they were inadequate. They now use the graphics intended to be used to preview what's ahead going to a commercial break or what's going to happen on the newscast that are used at the beginning. I'm sure they have some kind of permission to do that and use the graphics as they see fit. Otherwise heads would have rolled and the practice would have quickly stopped. Point is that there's no good reason for them all to look completely identical and be locked into an exact format using the same graphics the same way at the same time...

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I didn't mean every instance where a station made a local decision to make modifications or use a different template was grounds for sweeping management changes, I meant in this specific case I could see it happening simply because they've jumped into the deep end while other stations only stuck their toes into the waters of local customization. Stations clearly have some leeway and it's evident that the hub has assisted with some of these changes at other stations in the past, but whatever KMGH is doing is clearly not sanctioned by corporate as every single "Denver 7" graphic looks like it was done in-house...

There's also a difference between a station using different graphics for their topicals and changing the station's branding. Branding is definitely something corporate wants to sign off on because it's such a big deal and can reflect poorly on the station (look no further than WFXT getting made fun of by WGN halfway across the country) if done wrong.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I didn't mean every instance where a station made a local decision to make modifications or use a different template was grounds for sweeping management changes, I meant in this specific case I could see it happening simply because they've jumped into the deep end while other stations only stuck their toes into the waters of local customization. Stations clearly have some leeway and it's evident that the hub has assisted with some of these changes at other stations in the past, but whatever KMGH is doing is clearly not sanctioned by corporate as every single "Denver 7" graphic looks like it was done in-house...

There's also a difference between a station using different graphics for their topicals and changing the station's branding. Branding is definitely something corporate wants to sign off on because it's such a big deal and can reflect poorly on the station (look no further than WFXT getting made fun of by WGN halfway across the country) if done wrong.

Yeah I did miss what you were saying a little... Here's a question: how often has a station gone "rogue" and why would KMGH want to?

Denver 7 is awful and I'm sure Scripps (quite correctly) understands that...

Say every station got their own package again. Would their hub be capable of supporting multiple packages?

Archived