No one said that all stations branded as ABC XX News. I said several... KXNV, WMAR, WFTS. LIke I said, there is some precedent of Scripps stations using the ABC branding, not sure why they would all of sudden have an issue with KMGH using it.

In short? Because Scripps loves standardization and status quo.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In short? Because Scripps loves standardization and status quo.

That really doesn't appear to be the case..

We've just documented how none of them are really standardized and in some cases (like WXYZ) the stations branding is totally disjointed and in disarray with several brands used interchangeably with no rhyme or reason why....

I'm really not sure how well you know Scripps but standardization must be used in the loosest of terms with them. The only standardized thing is the graphics... And even those are somewhat customized and the stations implemented them all their own way...

If there's any resistance from corporate it's because KMGH is a complete disaster and they don't easily trust people to make local level decisions there...

At least in WXYZ's case Scripps disconnected the Channel 7 (that's what everybody around here still calls it) from the Action News brand and destroyed that news operation in the process opting to use the simpler and less powerful "7"... It didn't work and it's made such a small impact that most of their new hires (and a few old ones) have made the mistake of using Channel during newscast tosses. Of course if they are saying something is coming up later on then they use Channel 7 again. Apparently they get in trouble for using channel in the tosses too.. It is awful and doesn't make sense. It also has Cincy written all over it. Nobody really realizes ABC Hasn't owned the thing in 30 years... Heck I even heard a reporter apologize for using it when her mic came back up long after her story had ended right in the middle of the next live shot. She knew she screwed up as soon as she said Channel 7... Wonderful.

At any rate the above is a primary reason I don't trust Cincinatti to rebrand any stations ever again so if KMGH is fighting corporate than that's probably a wise move on their part. I hope they knock some sense into the brass.

WXYZ spun off is one of ABC's biggest mistakes.

That really doesn't appear to be the case..

We've just documented how none of them are really standardized and in some cases (like WXYZ) the stations branding is totally disjointed and in disarray with several brands used interchangeably with no rhyme or reason why....

I'm really not sure how well you know Scripps but standardization must be used in the loosest of terms with them. The only standardized thing is the graphics... And even those are somewhat customized and the stations implemented them all their own way...

If there's any resistance from corporate it's because KMGH is a complete disaster and they don't easily trust people to make local level decisions there...

It is. As long as they can cut costs, and use the same graphics and music across the board, they are happy.

And as I said, that's why Brad Remington was rehired as GM.

It is. As long as they can cut costs, and use the same graphics and music across the board, they are happy.

And as I said, that's why Brad Remington was rehired as GM.

Well, it's not like they're going to an outside firm to get their graphics re-done, or even new graphics. So in reality, all they have to do is re-record the VO to say ABC 7 News and/or get the hub to update their graphics. Again, I don't see how that would be problematic for Scripps. Now, I can see Scripps being resistive if this re-brand was going to cost them a whole lot of money, or if it was money being wasted...

Well, it's not like they're going to an outside firm to get their graphics re-done, or even new graphics. So in reality, all they have to do is re-record the VO to say ABC 7 News and/or get the hub to update their graphics. Again, I don't see how that would be problematic for Scripps. Now, I can see Scripps being resistive if this re-brand was going to cost them a whole lot of money, or if it was money being wasted...

It is going to cost them money. It already has.

Why is Scripps giving them such a hard time in changing the branding to ABC7? They already have several stations that brand as ABC XX News, so it's not as if adding ABC is unprecedented.

Because Scripps thinks they rule over Station GMs and that stations have to follow their rules. Just my assumption.

For what? Mic flags, wraps on the trucks, some promotions stuff and a couple logos on the set? Not that much money there...

Not only that, but those things are on a replacement cycle anyways, so sooner or later they would have to pony up the money to get them.

Because Scripps thinks they rule over Station GMs and that stations have to follow their rules. Just my assumption.

That's been the case, and always will be. The owner is the ultimate boss. Nothing we've never heard before.

They are having to invest in a new storm tracker and upgrade a lot of equipment.

That's just normal upgrades... you don't have to upgrade all that stuff to re-brand. That was stuff they probably needed anyways re-brand or not...

Updating all the sales, marketing and internal hard materials can run 75 to 100 thousand dollars for a medium market. It's fine to show viewers outdated logos but never in a client presentation.

TV and Radio are the only businesses that go rebrand crazy to fix product problems.

Rebrands almost never work.

Updating all the sales, marketing and internal hard materials can run 75 to 100 thousand dollars for a medium market. it's fine to show viewers outdated logos but never in a client presentation.

TV and Radio are the only businesses that go rebrand crazy to fix product problems.

Rebrands almost never work.

For a company like Scripps that's probably making them cautious... I don't know how their bottom line has changed since the merger though... Before the Journal deal they basically broke even all the time which doesn't give anybody the appetite to spend money...

That's sort of what will be happening. It will be "ABC 7" or "ABC 7 Denver" for general branding but will be "ABC 7 News at #" for newscasts eliminating the general 'News' branding for general reference.

I wish they would adopt the standard 'Circle 7" logo most ABC affiliates use (as well as sister stations WXYZ and WKBW) and become ABC 7 News in Denver. There current logo and previous ones look so generic to me. I guess its because the standard circle 7 log is so popular.

What is with people on here being obsessively annoyed that KMGH doesn't use the ABC O&O bug and brand as ABC7? This has been going on for years. Just because they do something different doesn't mean they need to change. If anything, it's amazing that their logo is probably one of the few TVbD creations that doesn't already look dated or been replaced almost 20 years later.

Though with that said, they could use to freshen up the general station branding. I always liked the 7 News/Denver's 7 branding for news and the station. From what I gather, right now, the general station brand is "7News Denver," which is clunky, awkward, and wrong.

WXYZ spun off is one of ABC's biggest mistakes.

It wasn't ABC that spun off WXYZ. Capital Cities acquired ABC, not the other way around.

And the combined company had to spin off WXYZ, WFTS and WKBW in order to retain WPVI (must that be explained?) because of existing FCC regulations at the time.

It wasn't ABC that spun off WXYZ. Capital Cities acquired ABC, not the other way around.

And the combined company had to spin off WXYZ, WFTS and WKBW in order to retain WPVI (must that be explained?) because of existing FCC regulations at the time.

Yeah keeping WXYZ and WJR was only the backup plan if the WPVI waiver failed. They should have spun their radio stations in Detroit off instead and just kept the TV station. That was a mistake on their part.

It was a cross ownership issue... Had it happened in 1996 we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I wish they would adopt the standard 'Circle 7" logo most ABC affiliates use (as well as sister stations WXYZ and WKBW) and become ABC 7 News in Denver. There current logo and previous ones look so generic to me. I guess its because the standard circle 7 log is so popular.

I don't. I think that the KMGH circle 7 is very original.

Does Scripps pay a licensing fee to use the Circle 7 logo for WXYZ? Just curious...

As for WKBW, their previous logo had been mutated multiple times due to Granite ownership. It was in their best interests to adopt the original design once the whole visual identity got completely overhauled.

That's not necessarily the case with KMGH, as even though they aren't a market powerhouse, it wasn't dragged through the mud like KB had been.

Does Scripps pay a licensing fee to use the Circle 7 logo for WXYZ? Just curious...

As for WKBW, their previous logo had been mutated multiple times due to Granite ownership. It was in their best interests to adopt the original design once the whole visual identity got completely overhauled.

That's not necessarily the case with KMGH, as even though they aren't a market powerhouse, it wasn't dragged through the mud like KB had been.

I'm not sure if they do or not... I think they inherited it in the sale. I know it was originally proprietary and the sale changed that.

Archived