• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KMGH's creative people have been pretty unkind to their take on the Circle 7 over time. TVbD's take on it (which lasted from, IIRC, 1998 to 2000) and Giant Octopus's take on it (which lasted from 2000 to about 2002, though aspects of it hung around until 2006) still hold up, but it's really been through the wringer since then (I am not a fan of the 2006 Hothaus graphics, and am especially not a fan of the 2008-2012 mangling of those. Though it's just shoved into the current Scripps graphics, like any other logo would be, and it works fine there).

I admit at times I've been frustrated with KMGH's refusal to use the original Circle 7, and even wondered to myself why WKBW had to dump their own Circle 7 but KMGH didn't. But I agree with Charles in that it has aged pretty well.

First, Cleveland 19. Now, Denver 7. What's next, Oregon 6?

In all seriousness, KMGH has been an also-ran in Denver dating back to when it was CBS. Scripps, with its fetish for trying to go digital and cookie-cutter, isn't really helping the situation. However, if this new GM can get KMGH back to the basics, they can become a threat to KCNC (never to KUSA, although 9 is Tegna-owned, so we wil see).

A few updates. Branding is changing to Denver 7 and weather is becoming First Alert Weather tentatively on Thursday.

What's with the tentatively? Is that for the branding, the weather, or both? If not ready for a permanent switch, why switch at all? Where is your information coming from?

I would prefer Denver's ABC 7 or ABC 7 Denver.

Have you ever seen KUSA's product? It has a real penchant for tooth-rotting cuteness and self-importance.

Which bores me... And the staff know that they aren't a hard news organization either, but they are number one and don't care how.

What's with the tentatively? Is that for the branding, the weather, or both? If not ready for a permanent switch, why switch at all? Where is your information coming from?

I would prefer Denver's ABC 7 or ABC 7 Denver.

Denver 7 was more supported by the focus groups over ABC 7 which was preferred by the news staff as they wanted something different in our market.

Tentatively as in all these changes may happen later or sooner than expected. The goal is to see how these changes react in sweeps.

I know someone in the news department.

Denver 7 was more supported by the focus groups over ABC 7 which was preferred by the news staff as they wanted something different in our market.

Tentatively as in all these changes may happen later or sooner than expected. The goal is to see how these changes react in sweeps.

I know someone in the news department.

Sweeps starts Thursday... Either they test it and launch it then or they don't... There's no middle ground of seeing what happens there...

KUSA can surprise you every once in a while with a really well-done story. They also have better coverage of local politics than any other station. But, their morning, 4p, and 9p shows are really hard to watch. KCNC has really stepped it up, and last time I saw, their ratings were reflecting that too.

KUSA can surprise you every once in a while with a really well-done story. They also have better coverage of local politics than any other station. But, their morning, 4p, and 9p shows are really hard to watch. KCNC has really stepped it up, and last time I saw, their ratings were reflecting that too.

They have, although their use of the Enforcer package really bugs me!!

We can thank Brandon Rittiman for that!

The Denver market is used to "2 News," "7 News," "9 News," and more than likely still refer to KCNC CBS 4 by their old "News 4" handle.

So it shouldn't be a surprise that the focus groups would botch this as badly as they did.

The Denver market is used to "2 News," "7 News," "9 News," and more than likely still refer to KCNC CBS 4 by their old "News 4" handle.

So it shouldn't be a surprise that the focus groups would botch this as badly as they did.

Or as in KWGN's case, either "2 News" or "News 2" (used after the affiliation switch to CW).

Or as in KWGN's case, either "2 News" or "News 2" (used after the affiliation switch to CW).

I'd prefer something like Channel 7 for general branding, Channel 7 abc for primetime/ids and Channel 7 News for the news branding. Across both cable, satillite and OTA KMGH airs on 7.

Denver 7 is detrimental in one big way. Because Market 17 includes Fort Collins, Greeley, much of the foothills and mountains and a lot of north-eastern Colorado, Denver 7 excludes a lot of what should really be a separate market in Colorado but isn't.

ALERT:

I just found this on LinkedIn (posted 9 days ago):

"We're looking for an experienced engineer to join a talented and creative team at the Scripps Graphics Hub in Tampa. Scripps his hiring an IT Senior Systems Engineer"..."This position will provide engineering support as the Hub transitions from its legacy graphics platform to a VizRT. Experience with UNIX or Linux is required."

Could this mean new standardized branding as VizRT is an entirely different software platform?

They did bring back the "Colorado's News Channel" Slogan few years ago. But to me if it wasn't for CBS pushing their O&Os to be "CBS ## News" I still think KCNC would've kept the "News 4" Name. Too bad CBS pushed KCNC to dump the "News 4" name.

ALERT:

I just found this on LinkedIn (posted 9 days ago):

"We're looking for an experienced engineer to join a talented and creative team at the Scripps Graphics Hub in Tampa. Scripps his hiring an IT Senior Systems Engineer"..."This position will provide engineering support as the Hub transitions from its legacy graphics platform to a VizRT. Experience with UNIX or Linux is required."

Could this mean new standardized branding as VizRT is an entirely different software platform?

Not likely... The current look will likely just be rebuilt in the new software...

Not likely... The current look will likely just be rebuilt in the new software...

I can tell you that's a major reason why Tenga is using various systems instead of VizRT (even though they had the option), because it would have required their designers to learn a whole new platform. So I don't know if what you are saying is so easily brushed off because VizRT has a broad learning curve and new instructions.

I second the idea of having KMGH lose the Denver's 7 branding. I don't know why ABC7 was rejected by focus groups.

At the start of Denver's 7 branding in 2002 or 2003, I noticed their Working for You slogan. I think that slogan should be reserved for stations like KCNC, KNBC, WRC, WDAF and other Channel 4's (Working 4 You, emphasis on the 4).

I'm more partial to KMGH be more like WJLA: ABC7 Denver On Your Side

I second the idea of having KMGH lose the Denver's 7 branding. I don't know why ABC7 was rejected by focus groups.

At the start of Denver's 7 branding in 2002 or 2003, I noticed their Working for You slogan. I think that slogan should be reserved for stations like KCNC, KNBC, WRC, WDAF and other Channel 4's (Working 4 You, emphasis on the 4).

I'm more partial to KMGH be more like WJLA: ABC7 Denver On Your Side

Probably the focus groups work for Scripps and Scripps told them to reject the idea of dumping "Denver's 7" for "ABC 7"

Archived