• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say every station got their own package again. Would their hub be capable of supporting multiple packages?

It's not gonna happen, but in theory they could. It defeats the whole purpose of having a hub, though, as one of the main ideas behind hubbing and standardization is they can create ONE graphic that EVERYONE can use. Hurricane Bob coming ashore in New York City? Everyone will get special graphics at the same time, while a hub that has to support multiple packages would have to do each one, one at a time, and that'd take days.

It's not gonna happen, but in theory they could. It defeats the whole purpose of having a hub, though, as one of the main ideas behind hubbing and standardization is they can create ONE graphic that EVERYONE can use. Hurricane Bob coming ashore in New York City? Everyone will get special graphics at the same time, while a hub that has to support multiple packages would have to do each one, one at a time, and that'd take days.

How much do graphics hubs actually do on day to day basis? I thought most graphics for news were done through Viz or Chyron plugins/templates to ENPS or iNews which use the existing hardware at the station to render the files?

Most of the graphics I see in Baltimore (save for WJZ) use pretty standard images either from the AP or their own sources with little to no manipulation. Since WBAL is the only station that is standardized on Saturdays here's what appeared graphically wise on their studio monitors included a cutout of Egypt showing where the plane crashed with a shadow of a plane next to it; a bunch of jack o lanterns; a green screen graphic with the democratic donkey and republican elephant as pins next to each other; and finally sports graphics using team logos, head shots or still photography. There was one OTS that played a video clip. This is pretty standard for their weekday newscasts as well.

If you want to read a mini rant about WJZ graphics wise click the spoiler link:[spoiler=WJZ - Graphics Rant] I'm not sure if they are done by a graphics plugin or bespoke. My major gripe about their graphics is that they almost have no style guide or they are writing it on the fly - they have some templates but others are either outdated or non existent. For example on either Friday evening or Saturday night they where previewing Halloween weather. For some occasions they will put images (weather clouds, the Ravens or Orioles logo) above their logo (like what NBC/CBS O&O do on the left side of their graphics or the Hearst descriptor bands). So they decided to have some leaves hiding behind their logo with a jack-o-lantern, a witches hat and broom directly above the logo. Anyway they decided to do a toss for weather with a box showing the anchor and text below it above the logo and two boxes showing their meteorologists to the right. It seems like they don't even have their act together for certain safe zones.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/10/31/police-out-in-full-force-to-prevent-pedestrian-accidents-catch-impaired-drivers-on-halloween/

It sounds like KMGH is using new/different music too. It's rather soaring and regal. It sounds a lot better than the standardized junk.

How much do graphics hubs actually do on day to day basis? I thought most graphics for news were done through Viz or Chyron plugins/templates to ENPS or iNews which use the existing hardware at the station to render the files?

Eh, some things you can make on your own, but it's not like the images in the system magically pop up in there. A stinger for special coverage of an event, for example, is probably made by someone in design using After Effects and then loaded into the system. The graphics playout systems aren't sophisticated enough to really build something like that on their own. Lower thirds, OTSes, and fullscreen graphics are easily made using Viz/Chyron/Deko/Xpression, but anything beyond that is likely made by design staff using whatever stuff it is that those design people use.

It sounds like KMGH is using new/different music too. It's rather soaring and regal. It sounds a lot better than the standardized junk.

No Inergy to be found on KMGH... it looks odd.... that logo looks like something the hub would spit out actually... I wonder how they managed to get new music?

Well OK there is a little Inergy... they used the weather theme on their weather hit very briefly...

I wonder if somebody begged corporate hard enough that they said "ok give it a try but if it fails then you switch back"?

No Inergy to be found on KMGH... it looks odd.... that logo looks like something the hub would spit out actually... I wonder how they managed to get new music?

Well OK there is a little Inergy... they used the weather theme on their weather hit very briefly...

I wonder if somebody begged corporate hard enough that they said "ok give it a try but if it fails then you switch back"?

Yes. Matt Laws, the new CSD did.

Well there you go.... At least partly sanctioned...

But as I said earlier, he had to fight Scripps to do anything. We were hoping it would be something atypical for our market, but no such luck. He was the former Assistant Director of Creative Services at WCAU if that offers any evidence.

But as I said earlier, he had to fight Scripps to do anything. We were hoping it would be something atypical for our market, but no such luck. He was the former Assistant Director of Creative Services at WCAU if that offers any evidence.

All it tells me is that he convinced them to let him try it and they likely said that if it didn't work it would have to go. Maybe there is some hope for Scripps after all...

I don't know how new these are, but what the hell is with this style of promo? No Inergy theme, different graphics, craptactular logo and branding. How is Scripps allowing ANY of this/how long will they let this go on?

It's like they skipped over PowerPoint and went right on to Paint to create those graphics.

It wasn't ABC that spun off WXYZ. Capital Cities acquired ABC, not the other way around.

And the combined company had to spin off WXYZ, WFTS and WKBW in order to retain WPVI (must that be explained?) because of existing FCC regulations at the time.

I'm aware of how and why I said ABC but was referring to Capital Cities Communities, but it still doesn't change the stupidity of that transaction in 1985. They should have just sold off WFTS and all of their radio stations. Capital Cities should have just kept the historic ABC O&Os in Detroit and maybe Buffalo because Scripps has always treated WXYZ like an afterthought.

I'm aware of how and why I said ABC but was referring to Capital Cities Communities, but it still doesn't change the stupidity of that transaction in 1985. They should have just sold off WFTS and all of their radio stations. Capital Cities should have just kept the historic ABC O&Os in Detroit and maybe Buffalo because Scripps has always treated WXYZ like an afterthought.

That's not all bad... It runs as an O&O at its core and although it's been mishandled a few times it's largely unmodified in 30 years under Scripps.

IIRC, they had to sell those off because of ownership limits at the time.

We've broadened this topic too much. Can we please keep it focused on the Denver market and KMGH? Historic facts about the McGraw Hill stations and future updates to Scripps stations are fine, but anything about Scripps past without the Denver affiliate should be posted in a Scripps thread.

IIRC, they had to sell those off because of ownership limits at the time.

Cross ownership rules for radio and TV in the same market. Cap Cities liked it's radio stations over the TV stations for some reason.

That we are discussing this makes no difference or not to the topic so it shouldn't be a big deal to do it here...

Anyway...

Did we determine how KMGH has been able to seemingly go rogue without Scripps stepping in at all? It's strange to me that a station Scripps just purchased a few years ago would be allowed more freedom to do what the hell they want than a station they've owned for decades.

Anyway...

Did we determine how KMGH has been able to seemingly go rogue without Scripps stepping in at all? It's strange to me that a station Scripps just purchased a few years ago would be allowed more freedom to do what the hell they want than a station they've owned for decades.

It looks to me like it's an experiment on Scripps part. "Going rogue" is nonsense. Scripps didn't have to step in... They would have given them the green light... Somebody probably wanted to float a trial balloon in a lower rated Scripps market to see if some further customization might be workable. Since KMGH has a major hub it was a logical choice.

• 2 weeks later...
It looks to me like it's an experiment on Scripps part. "Going rogue" is nonsense. Scripps didn't have to step in... They would have given them the green light... Somebody probably wanted to float a trial balloon in a lower rated Scripps market to see if some further customization might be workable. Since KMGH has a major hub it was a logical choice.

the only nonsense i see is in this post!!! LOL.

sorry but that's not scripps way of doing business... the stations have some freedom when it comes to graphics but not that much... the scripps corporate marketing people would be very much involved with decisions like rebranding (they get involved with literally every thing else... down to vehicle wraps...) and graphics for rebrands would go through the tampa hub, end of story. they are starting to attempt to push using the hub on the ex-journal broadcast stations... really those stations would be the ideal ones to "experiment" on... why would kmgh get a pass to do whatever they want??

the only thing hubbed in denver is "the now" natl. desk and if it's anything like the graphics hub in tampa they are physically seperated from each other... wfts staff is NOT ALLOWED in the graphics hub so they don't get special treatment for being co-located. it essentially runs as a separate entity.

the only nonsense i see is in this post!!! LOL.

sorry but that's not scripps way of doing business... the stations have some freedom when it comes to graphics but not that much... the scripps corporate marketing people would be very much involved with decisions like rebranding (they get involved with literally every thing else... down to vehicle wraps...) and graphics for rebrands would go through the tampa hub, end of story. they are starting to attempt to push using the hub on the ex-journal broadcast stations... really those stations would be the ideal ones to "experiment" on... why would kmgh get a pass to do whatever they want??

the only thing hubbed in denver is "the now" natl. desk and if it's anything like the graphics hub in tampa they are physically seperated from each other... wfts staff is NOT ALLOWED in the graphics hub so they don't get special treatment for being co-located. it essentially runs as a separate entity.

Wouldn't Scripps immediately take control and fire those responsible then? That it goes on indicates either that they care less than you claim or they approve. One or the other. Stations don't just go rougue and stay that way...

Doing it at a low rated station with a hub means:

1) Nobody is watching the station to care

2) They have people looking over the stations shoulder every day.

They could have tried in Detroit but the trouble there is that it makes the most money and you'd have to physically send somebody there to oversee it rather than pop somebody across the hall...

This is getting dumb.

Scripps probably let KMGH's CSD make modifications based on his experience with WCAU, not thinking that they'd turn out this bad.

I don't think this is some grand scheme to return control to the local stations, especially with some of the behind-the-scenes information I have been given as of late.

Nobody gets fired for making things in-house, but when ratings go down, the fingers are going to start pointing and it wouldn't be unheard of for them to point at someone who signed off on this.

This is getting dumb.

Scripps probably let KMGH's CSD make modifications based on his experience with WCAU, not thinking that they'd turn out this bad.

I don't think this is some grand scheme to return control to the local stations, especially with some of the behind-the-scenes information I have been given as of late.

Nobody gets fired for making things in-house, but when ratings go down, the fingers are going to start pointing and it wouldn't be unheard of for them to point at someone who signed off on this.

KMGH has already been number 4 for a while here. This was an attempt to change it up and bring the ratings up to third. I think sweeps will see either a loss or no net gain.

KMGH has already been number 4 for a while here. This was an attempt to change it up and bring the ratings up to third. I think sweeps will see either a loss or no net gain.

Has anyone really tied graphics directly to ratings and success/ failure?

I'm talking actual documented evidence.

Archived