November 2015 Sweeps Results

ns8401

Still, it's WABC that continues to rule the national roast.

KTUU remains the 10-ton gorilla in Anchorage, but my hunch is that their lead has been shrinking (the pending ownership by Gray might be the cause) while KTVA is gaining.

GCI seems to be pouring a lot of money into KTVA to make it competitive. Their studio looks like it belongs in a top 50 market.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Final numbers from Kansas City (ripped straight from a local TV forum, credit to "moobear")

5AM

WDAF 3.7

KMBC 3.5

KSHB 1.5

KCTV 1.1

6AM

WDAF 6.3

KMBC 5.3

KSHB 2.9

KCTV 2.1

7a-9a

WDAF 6.6

KMBC 6.0 (GMA)

KCTV 3.3 (CBS)

KSHB 2.9 (Today)

KCWE 0.8 (9news)

KMCI 0.5 (41news)

9am

Fox4 News 9am 4.9

BETTER KC 2.2

10am

KC LIVE 1.1

11AM

KSHB 2.8

12PM

KCTV 4.9

WDAF 5.0 (FULL HOUR)

4PM

KMBC 5.2 (ELLEN)

KCTV 4.8

WDAF 4.3 (JUDGE JUDY)

KSHB 3.0(NOW KC)

5PM

KMBC 7.4

KCTV 6.0

WDAF 5.9

KSHB 4.1

6PM

WDAF 8.1

KMBC 7.4

KCTV 7.0

KSHB 5.1

6:30PM

KSMO 0.5

9PM

WDAF 5.5

KCWE 1.1

KSMO 1.1

10PM 9:45PM Leadin

KMBC 7.7 6.1

KCTV 5.6 6.9

WDAF 5.3 5.0

KSHB 5.2 3.1

KSHB is marred so far down in 4th place it's astonishing. Very, very hard to believe that they were #1 at 5 and 6pm at any point a couple years ago. They've really gotta do something over there. Their husband-wife anchor pair evidently isn't working, and The NOW still isn't doing them any favors.

This is how I see these ratings...

WDAF is #1 in News in KC except at 5:00 and 10:00pm. (they don't do 4:00pm)

KCTV has lost the lead in some newscasts, but is retaining their 4:00pm lead.

KMBC has lost its 10-pound gorilla status in KC. Now they only win twice.

KSHB just sucks. Period. They can never win, ever since The NOW.

Still, it's WABC that continues to rule the national roast.

KTUU remains the 10-ton gorilla in Anchorage, but my hunch is that their lead has been shrinking (the pending ownership by Gray might be the cause) while KTVA is gaining.

Based on what metrics though... Do we consider households (New York is miles ahead of even LA) or do we consider ratings points or maybe share of market?

I have some trouble believing their claim isn't somehow de facto for having such a large possible audience... Not providing us actual ratings points makes me suspicious that it's more of a contest than they claim...

Based on what metrics though... Do we consider households (New York is miles ahead of even LA) or do we consider ratings points or maybe share of market?

I have some trouble believing their claim isn't somehow de facto for having such a large possible audience... Not providing us actual ratings points makes me suspicious that it's more of a contest than they claim...

But it doesn't matter because the book is designed to be misleading and steerable to any conclusion a person desires.

A GM reads the book one way, the GSM see's it another way, and the News Director see's something different .

Ratings don't mean %$#@@ and without a current stations "rate card" you really don't have any clue to anything.

How much did you bill last month???

The sales people hear all the time from potential clients.

"Your show is crap".

That goes a lot farther than a few shares and points on a newscast in the real sales worlds.

But it doesn't matter because the book is designed to be misleading and steerable to any conclusion a person desires.

A GM reads the book one way, the GSM see's it another way, and the News Director see's something different .

Ratings don't mean %$#@@ and without a current stations "rate card" you really don't have any clue to anything.

"Your show is crap".

That goes a lot farther than a few shares and points on a newscast in the real sales worlds.

Yup!

"Your show is crap".

Right I agree with this. I'm just wondering what they base their "most watched in America" line on? I really wasn't trying to go beyond that...

Right I agree with this. I'm just wondering what they base their "most watched in America" line on? I really wasn't trying to go beyond that...

#1 station in the #1 market, therefore #1 in the country. Incredibly simple, but very poor, sorely flawed logic.

Most watched means most watched. I'm assuming it's households. Shares are a measurement against the rest of the market, not the rest of the country, right?

Most watched means most watched. I'm assuming it's households. Shares are a measurement against the rest of the market, not the rest of the country, right?

If it's households then as J said above that's some pretty flawed logic...

Short of measuring people is there a better way to do it?

Probably share of market... That would adjust pretty decently for the differences in population size since that's a percentage of the market watching a certain channel at a given time...

Given New York City's size, households alone would allow WNBC, WCBS, WNYW or WPIX to claim the same thing if they were number one.

Probably share of market... That would adjust pretty decently for the differences in population size since that's a percentage of the market watching a certain channel at a given time...

Given New York City's size, households alone would allow WNBC, WCBS, WNYW or WPIX to claim the same thing if they were number one.

If you use share, then I don't believe they have the highest share of all stations nationwide. But the station with the highest share nationwide is NOT the most watched station in the nation! So households makes the most sense. I get what you're saying, the NYC stations get a big bump because of the population of the market.

The only people that know that is WABC...and they are not sharing all the details.

I agree it's flawed....but it's TV.

The only people that know that is WABC...and they are not sharing all the details.

I agree it's flawed....but it's TV.

I wish more markets were like Detroit... Between WJBK and WDIV's detailed press releases with all the numbers even a 3 year old could figure it out...

WABC didn't even put one number in that release... It's kind of disappointing...

I wish more markets were like Detroit... Between WJBK and WDIV's detailed press releases with all the numbers even a 3 year old could figure it out...

WABC didn't even put one number in that release... It's kind of disappointing...

I wish Nielsen would just publicly release the overall numbers like they do for radio with 6+.

OAN, I went to Detroit over the summer. Why do all of their stations run "happy" news? In a city with rampant crime and corruption, why am I seeing cooking segments, cute dog stories and Justin Bieber? This seems to be becoming the norm at stations across the country. Why is that?

OAN, I went to Detroit over the summer. Why do all of their stations run "happy" news? In a city with rampant crime and corruption, why am I seeing cooking segments, cute dog stories and Justin Bieber? This seems to be becoming the norm at stations across the country. Why is that?
It's quite the opposite here in DFW where it's more of a serious and methodical type of news, even though it does mix it with some stuff like cooking segments and Justin Bieber which is mostly seen on morning shows like Good Morning Texas and Good Day DFW. And if what you said about Detroit stations (and as you said, stations all over the nation) running happy news true, then shouldn't Detroit (and any other market area with serious events happening but with happy news) have more serious news?

Because the crime is coming down and the corruption is under much more control... For a long time there was more to say but things have changed in the last 4-5 years... Positivity is in around here...

Because the crime is coming down and the corruption is under much more control... For a long time there was more to say but things have changed in the last 4-5 years... Positivity is in around here...

I'll give you that the politicians are behaving themselves, and that y'all seem to have a competent police chief for a change, but Detroit still has plenty of challenges for local news to cover. The Detroit stations were still reporting a bunch of nonsense even when they had big stories to cover. If people wanted to learn how to cook, they'd watch a cooking show. If they wanted to know who Kim Kardashian is sleeping with, they'd watch an entertainment show. If people want information on what is happening in their community, they'll watch local news. Those audiences are not the same. That's one of the common complaints that I hear, is people have to sit through all this extra crap when they just want the news and weather. That's why local news is dying and more people are turning to other sources.

I'll give you that the politicians are behaving themselves, and that y'all seem to have a competent police chief for a change, but Detroit still has plenty of challenges for local news to cover. The Detroit stations were still reporting a bunch of nonsense even when they had big stories to cover. If people wanted to learn how to cook, they'd watch a cooking show. If they wanted to know who Kim Kardashian is sleeping with, they'd watch an entertainment show. If people want information on what is happening in their community, they'll watch local news. Those audiences are not the same. That's one of the common complaints that I hear, is people have to sit through all this extra crap when they just want the news and weather. That's why local news is dying and more people are turning to other sources.

And that's perfectly true.. Though I see little of the fluff outside of the mornings...

This is how I see these ratings...

WDAF is #1 in News in KC except at 5:00 and 10:00pm. (they don't do 4:00pm)

KCTV has lost the lead in some newscasts, but is retaining their 4:00pm lead.

KMBC has lost its 10-pound gorilla status in KC. Now they only win twice.

KSHB just sucks. Period. They can never win, ever since The NOW.

This is fairly accurate. Although what's weird is how "well" KSHB actually does at 6am. They're kind of like a dark horse down there. If they could somehow improve, they could easily be third or second at 10pm as well. They grow the most out of any station from their 9:45 lead in and were a tenth of a point behind Fox 4.

Where you were watching the Morning News? Detroit still has it grit of murders, crimes, and etc? However maybe the stations have to have a balance. Not every viewer wants to here doom and gloom, and Detroit has it share of it.

If people don't want to see doom and gloom, then they don't need to watch local news. I've heard the critics who say that local news is depressing, but that's not your target audience. If everything is good and working the way that it should, then what's there to report? Aside from something like jobs coming to the area, majority of the time news is negative. It is what it is. I get tired of these stations trying to be everything to everybody. Just report the news, weather, traffic and sports.

As far as Detroit is concerned, I watched the morning and evening shows. I only saw cooking in the morning, but all of the other fluff was in the evening too. It's been that way for a while.Even in the Kwame era, I remember watching and thinking 'who cares about this bs?'

Archived