November 2015 Sweeps Results

ns8401

If people don't want to see doom and gloom, then they don't need to watch local news. I've heard the critics who say that local news is depressing, but that's not your target audience. If everything is good and working the way that it should, then what's there to report? Aside from something like jobs coming to the area, majority of the time news is negative. It is what it is. I get tired of these stations trying to be everything to everybody. Just report the news, weather, traffic and sports.

As far as Detroit is concerned, I watched the morning and evening shows. I only saw cooking in the morning, but all of the other fluff was in the evening too. It's been that way for a while.Even in the Kwame era, I remember watching and thinking 'who cares about this bs?'

I think his question was which of the stations?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Local 4, Fox 2 and Channel 7.

But they don't all do cooking in the morning (unless it's on 2 or 20 in the fluffier time opposite today or GMA but that's not unusual). The other newscasts seem to me to be about where have been for the past 20 some odd years... Channel 7 and FOX 2 if anything have hardened their news content lately...

Well...WSB was too chickenshit to put out their November ratings roundup, but here's October's. The big surprise is that WXIA, thanks of course to "Sunday Night Football" and "The Voice", held off WGCL for #2 in primetime (WAGA, even with mega-hit "Empire", crashed to fourth)...among the 25-54s.

At least Fox 5 still holds claim to having both "Atlanta's #1 late news" and now "Georgia's Most Watched News", which is pretty much a big "F*** you!" to Channel 2.

After their preview episodes following The Voice, I can see Telenovela and Superstore becoming the new Monday night hits come mid-season, and for good reason: The two shows mark the TV returns of Eva Longoria and America Ferrera, this time on NBC (both were previously on ABC; Longoria was of course one of the Desperate Housewives and she's pulling double duty on Telenovela as executive producer, Ferrera starred in Ugly Betty). 11 Alive will be pulling no punches to siphon viewers away from Supergirl (WGCL), Gotham (WAGA), and The Bachelor (WSB) with those two spicy Latinos.

WVTM in Birmingham is clawing their way out of the ratings basement by simply getting their name back out there with image and branding promos....

The reward was a 50 percent jump on household ratings...the question is...is it enough to send WIAT 42 News CBS (or whatever they call themselves) back into the basement?

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/marketshare/2015/12/08/wvtms-november-sweeps-elevator-pitch/

WVTM in Birmingham is clawing their way out of the ratings basement by simply getting their name back out there with image and branding promos....

The reward was a 50 percent jump on household ratings...the question is...is it enough to send WIAT 42 News CBS (or whatever they call themselves) back into the basement?

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/marketshare/2015/12/08/wvtms-november-sweeps-elevator-pitch/

I thought WVTM was third behind WBMA when WVTM was known as Alabama's 13 under MG. Now under Hearst ownership and changed to WVTM 13 News, I think WVTM is a very strong #2, ahead of WBMA (3rd) and WIAT (4th) but still behind WBRC who is still #1.

EDIT: The promos at the bottom when they mention WVTM as the fastest-growing news station in Central Alabama say "NSI Nov 2015 HH | 4:00, 5:00, 6:00 am, 4:00 (4:30), 5:00, 6:00 (6:30), 10:00 pm."

I thought WVTM was third behind WBMA when WVTM was known as Alabama's 13 under MG. Now under Hearst ownership and changed to WVTM 13 News, I think WVTM is a very strong #2, ahead of WBMA (3rd) and WIAT (4th) but still behind WBRC who is still #1.

EDIT: The promos at the bottom when they mention WVTM as the fastest-growing news station in Central Alabama say "NSI Nov 2015 HH | 4:00, 5:00, 6:00 am, 4:00 (4:30), 5:00, 6:00 (6:30), 10:00 pm."

The 2012-2013 ratings had 6.) #1, 42.) #2, 33/40.) #3 13.) #4 sounds like Hearst is pumping some needed $$$ into the station, and there trying to moved back on top. Sounds like there a big fight in Birmingham among the (4) shops in the market. Hmm. I do wonder???

Well...WSB was too chickenshit to put out their November ratings roundup, but here's October's. The big surprise is that WXIA, thanks of course to "Sunday Night Football" and "The Voice", held off WGCL for #2 in primetime (WAGA, even with mega-hit "Empire", crashed to fourth)...among the 25-54s.

At least Fox 5 still holds claim to having both "Atlanta's #1 late news" and now "Georgia's Most Watched News", which is pretty much a big "F*** you!" to Channel 2.

After their preview episodes following The Voice, I can see Telenovela and Superstore becoming the new Monday night hits come mid-season, and for good reason: The two shows mark the TV returns of Eva Longoria and America Ferrera, this time on NBC (both were previously on ABC; Longoria was of course one of the Desperate Housewives and she's pulling double duty on Telenovela as executive producer, Ferrera starred in Ugly Betty). 11 Alive will be pulling no punches to siphon viewers away from Supergirl (WGCL), Gotham (WAGA), and The Bachelor (WSB) with those two spicy Latinos.

Not shocked, but of course WSB-TV wears their ratings dominance on their sleeve. They don't want those November sweeps to be shown (I wonder why) but WAGA 10pm beat WSB's 11pm, and this is not a first. When American Idol was very popular they were besting WSB at 11pm. WSB owns the market, but it would be nice if the other stations in the market would shake things up.

In October it seems NBC's Primetime in Atlanta was #2 and the (4) 11pm news among WAGA, WXIA, WGCL were very tight.

If WVTM can get back to #1, that would be one of the great comeback stories. I figured that 33/40 had dropped to 4th though?

The 2012-2013 ratings had 6.) #1, 42.) #2, 33/40.) #3 13.) #4 sounds like Hearst is pumping some needed $$$ into the station, and there trying to moved back on top. Sounds like there a big fight in Birmingham among the (4) shops in the market. Hmm. I do wonder???

Wait a minute... you're telling me that in 2012-2013, WIAT 42 was #2 ?! Your kidding. Wow. Who would've thought?

I think this shows what happens when you give a station more resources they'll be more competitive. It may take some time to get out of the basement but you'll probably get some increase.

But it also helped that WVTM went to an all out advertising campaign. During sweeps here WJZ and WBFF are the only stations locally that go all out.

Edit : I just thought I'd put out there that when Comcast bought NBC they started pouring resources into their stations and they are becoming competitors in their respective markets , particularly the Telemudo.

WBAL has been airing promos saying they're the most watched all year to date through 25 November. They also made a comment about being the best. Does the most watched mean the best? I guess they could say that based on the reviews based on their riot coverage.

WBAL has been airing promos saying they're the most watched all year to date through 25 November. They also made a comment about being the best. Does the most watched mean the best? I guess they could say that based on the reviews based on their riot coverage.

The best is just whatever they felt like saying... There is no way to really measure "the best" qualitatively...

The best is just whatever they felt like saying... There is no way to really measure "the best" qualitatively...

True. I guess they equate ratings + some of the reviews of their coverage (even though WJZ got a few reviews too) = best.

I think this shows what happens when you give a station more resources they'll be more competitive. It may take some time to get out of the basement but you'll probably get some increase.

But it also helped that WVTM went to an all out advertising campaign. During sweeps here WJZ and WBFF are the only stations locally that go all out.

Edit : I just thought I'd put out there that when Comcast bought NBC they started pouring resources into their stations and they are becoming competitors in their respective markets , particularly the Telemudo.

When you're that far down.....it's far more effective to re-establish your brand and get back into people's habits than to run gimmick after gimmick during sweeps just to please a particular demo.

Chicago:

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/11/27/abc-7-leads-in-losing-battle-at-10-p-m/#more-9559

Total Viewers (10pm):

▪ ABC 7: 8.1 rating; 14 share

▪ NBC 5: 6.7 rating; 11 share

▪ CBS 2: 3.0 rating; 5 share

▪ WGN: 2.7 rating; 5 share

Demo Viewers (10pm):

▪ NBC 5: 3.2 rating; 9 share

▪ ABC 7: 3.2 rating; 8 share

▪ WGN: 1.3 rating; 4 share

▪ CBS 2: 1.2 rating; 3 share

Total Viewers (9pm):

▪ WGN: 4.1 rating; 6 share

▪ Fox 32: 2.7 rating; 4 share

Demo Viewers (9pm):

▪ WGN: 1.8 rating; 4 share

▪ Fox 32: 1.5 rating; 4 share

I don't know about this but, I think that the Chicago Bears games probably help in Fox 32's viewership considering it's Fox's red-headed step child in the same way CBS 2 Chicago is CBS's red-headed stepchild nowadays, and this is despite the fact that Fox 32 is one of Fox's legacy stations

I don't know about this but, I think that the Chicago Bears games probably help in Fox 32's viewership considering it's Fox's red-headed step child in the same way CBS 2 Chicago is CBS's red-headed stepchild nowadays, and this is despite the fact that Fox 32 is one of Fox's legacy stations

Maybe WFLD gets a total day bump in viewers during the fall, but the Bears aren't helping them at 9.

I'm so not surprised. I felt that Hearst would save WVTM from its mediocrity that it suffered under MG's ownership. Although WVTM is no longer network-owned and operated (which is why the station was so dominant from the late 1990s through mid-2000s), Hearst has a very strong relationship with NBC and this is one of those stations that will significantly benefit from this relationship. Also I just wish they would go back to calling the morning news "Today in Alabama" or some variant along with bringing back the NBC chimes to the end of their weather segments that many larger market NBC affiliates do and I would be satisfied.

True. I guess they equate ratings + some of the reviews of their coverage (even though WJZ got a few reviews too) = best.

If only WJZ would update their news set. They are stuck in a time warp with an old set from 1998. The only station in Baltimore not to receive a new set. Pathetic.

• 4 weeks later...
Do any of you know if in New Orleans is fox 8 now #1 at 10pm

Nielsen says:

5:00 WWL 8.7HH (3.1 A25-54)

WDSU 7.2 (2.9)

WVUE 6.4 (2.4)

6:00 (5:30 for WVUE) WWL 10.0 (3.4)

WDSU 7.3 (3.3)

WVUE 5.9 (2.3)

10:00 M-S WWL 8.3 (4.3)

WVUE 6.9 (3.2)

WDSU 6.2 (2.8)