Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

Couldn't they apply for full power at WTMU-LP, WCEA-LD or WHDT-LD or buyout WWDP?

Right now, all signs are pointing towards WNEU 60 as the new home for NBC in Boston, displacing Telemundo to WNEU 60.2, The CW to WHDH 7 and Independent to WLVI 56.

You're watching NBC 6 on WNEU 60 (Cable 6) / Boston... Imagine that.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right now, all signs are pointing towards WNEU 60 as the new home for NBC in Boston, displacing Telemundo to WNEU 60.2, The CW to WHDH 7 and Independent to WLVI 56.

You're watching NBC 6 on WNEU 60 (Cable 6) / Boston... Imagine that.

Sounds like a clusterf*ck!

Cox signed a long-term affiliation agreement with Fox when they acquired WFXT.

There are a few things that don't quite add up.

• Why would NBC build out another news department when they own New England Cable News? Are Maria Stephanos and Pete Bouchard joining NECN, who will produce newscasts for the new NBC Boston? That makes a little more sense.
  • Outside of local and network programming, what does NBC Boston have that they could broadcast? Syndicated programming is not in an abundance of supply the past few years. As a completely new outlet, they have nothing.
  • WLVI's agreement with The CW ends this year. If CBS were to move it to WSBK, their owned station, that would leave Sunbeam with two independents. At that point, do they sell WLVI for spectrum which provides (1) cash; (2) programming for Sunbeam to retain on WHDH and possibly re-sell to the new NBC Boston.

It's definitely quite interesting...

I'd rather bet that NBC would buy WLVI 56 when the WHDH contract with NBC runs out. This would mean that WHDH will be The CW affiliate, just like WISH since January. I'd think that NECN newscasts will be simulcasted on that station.

I'd rather bet that NBC would buy WLVI 56 when the WHDH contract with NBC runs out. This would mean that WHDH will be The CW affiliate, just like WISH since January. I'd think that NECN newscasts will be simulcasted on that station.

Wasn't that rumor why Sunbeam grossly overpaid for WLVI in the first place?

Why would Sunbeam sell WLVI to NBC? That makes no sense.

If NBC is hiring well known talent, then I'm pretty sure that NBC on WNEU is a done deal. NBC has wanted their own toy in Boston, and they're going to get it, one way or another. You're likely going to see WNEU make the transition, starting next September. I doubt Ansin will give up NBC early, especially with this being a presidential year, and the opportunity to get a last season of Sunday Night Football. As for syndicated programming, NBC O&Os don't show much, and most of what they show is owned by them. As an example, the only non-NBC distributed syndicated show on WRC, in Washington, is Ellen. Look for the Steve Harvey Show and Access Hollywood to start on WNEU in September.

I have two words for WLVI should they lose the CW to WHDH.....should they have their NBC affiliation yanked.

Spectrum auction.

Exactly.

23 years?!? Wow! How did Ansin negotiate that?

Ansin had all the leverage in the world.

Because Group W made a groupwide affiliation pact with CBS (prior to merging with CBS itself) NBC had nowhere else to go after being bounced off of WBZ. WCVB was committed to ABC, WLVI was committed to The WB, WSBK was committed to UPN and Fox owned WFXT.

Going to WHDH, in spite of the bad blood between Ed Ansin and NBC, was the path of least resistance for NBC.

Really, WHDH and NBC are both stuck:

* CBS is a non-starter since WBZ is an O&O as part of a duopoly.

* Although WFXT might be able to play for the NBC affiliation now, Fox would look stupid watching its former O&O change affiliations so fast (no matter how long the agreement is for?) and does Ansin want two Fox affiliations?

* WCVB is one of Hearst's crown jewels, and one of the strongest stations for ABC. No way either party is going to change that, especially with Disney likely in a selling - and not buying - mood right now. Unless Hearst wants to bulk up and put NBC on 5.2 and show off their market and regional dominance, but really in a top-10 market have NBC on a subchannel?

The result is WHDH likely being an independent after this is all said and done.

I'll play devil's advocate and suggest that NECN hiring both Maria and Pete only means that Comcast wants to further elevate the profile of NECN, and nothing more.

Plus the mere mention of Comcast putting NBC on cable-only status would be a non-starter with the DOJ. And even with the placement of the affiliation on WNEU - a rimshot signal with poor coverage in the metro (regardless of cable penetration in the Boston market) and as a startup in a market with a significant amount of viewer loyalties... is that a risk Comcast-NBC really wants to take?

If NBC is hiring well known talent, then I'm pretty sure that NBC on WNEU is a done deal. NBC has wanted their own toy in Boston, and they're going to get it, one way or another. You're likely going to see WNEU make the transition, starting next September. I doubt Ansin will give up NBC early, especially with this being a presidential year, and the opportunity to get a last season of Sunday Night Football. As for syndicated programming, NBC O&Os don't show much, and most of what they show is owned by them. As an example, the only non-NBC distributed syndicated show on WRC, in Washington, is Ellen. Look for the Steve Harvey Show and Access Hollywood to start on WNEU in September.

I agree that if NBC flips WNEU to English, it will occur in September, and NBC will run it as an Independent until next January. Doesn't WNEU have a LP station they use as a way to improve coverage? If so, a Birmingham like arrangement is likely where Telemundo is on the LP Station, and on 60.2

Plus, NBC distributes Meredith Viera's show. NBC is also launching a talk show with Harry Connick Jr. That leaves WNEU with enough programming owned by NBC to fill the slots.

In regards to news, I can see an WTTV-WXIN type arrangement where WNEU has their own anchor staff, but share reporters with NECN.

Really, WHDH and NBC are both stuck:

* CBS is a non-starter since WBZ is an O&O as part of a duopoly.

* Although WFXT might be able to play for the NBC affiliation now, Fox would look stupid watching its former O&O change affiliations so fast (no matter how long the agreement is for?) and does Ansin want two Fox affiliations?

* WCVB is one of Hearst's crown jewels, and one of the strongest stations for ABC. No way either party is going to change that, especially with Disney likely in a selling - and not buying - mood right now. Unless Hearst wants to bulk up and put NBC on 5.2 and show off their market and regional dominance, but really in a top-10 market have NBC on a subchannel?

The result is WHDH likely being an independent after this is all said and done.

Another thing to think of, if WCVB was interested in becoming an NBC Station, they would have done it in 2010, when NBC was playing the Breach of Contract card when Ansin was threatening to drop Leno. At the same time, the ABC affiliation was up for renewal.

My wild conspiracy theory...

WGBH channel swap with a sizable donation of cash, cash and cash from NBC in a deal too good to refuse.

My bookie says 60-1 odds

Bigbird has to sleep a Peacock while Ed the old man goes crazy on the sidelines.

Is it legal to do this???

The "bird on bird" thing???

I like to watch.

WGBH channel swap with a sizable donation of cash, cash and cash from NBC in a deal too good to refuse.

My bookie says 60-1 odds

Bigbird has to sleep a Peacock while Ed the old man goes crazy on the sidelines.

Is it legal to do this???

The "bird on bird" thing???

Not gonna happen. WGBH's channel is reserved for educational TV. And WGBH would lose coverage south of Boston.

Not gonna happen. WGBH's channel is reserved for educational TV. And WGBH would lose coverage south of Boston.

If they fake a pledge crisis and file for BK they could pull it off and get Congress to make an exemption...

Think BIG and CRAZY!!

All the actors are in place....hell get Summer Redstone in on this shit.

Also....

Mention the spectrum auction.....

And be sure to involve KRON in this scenario, because

crazy ass KRON shit still drives people nuts on these boards.

No way will WGBH swap channel positions. WGBH is considered one of the biggest and most-watched PBS stations in the country. And because WGBH is already so recognizable on Channel 2, forget WGBH moving. That will never happen in a million years.

No way will WGBH swap channel positions. WGBH is considered one of the biggest and most-watched PBS stations in the country. And because WGBH is already so recognizable on Channel 2, forget WGBH moving. That will never happen in a million years.

WGBH is on ch19 UHF....just Virtual 2.

It can happen pretty easy. What would be the resistance if NBC heaped gobs of money on PBS and WGBH and the radio station...etc.

If you can show that WGBH will be vastly improved then a swap can be authorized.

It's happened in the past inNashville on a Ch2 assignment.

Ya see NBC and Comcast could sure use a "Win"...and south Boston can be fixed with a few HD brand new HD translators.

It's just a channel assignment that is non-exclusive. WGBH gets a bad ass new home,equipment,hookers,cash, booze....in one big payoff.

WGBH can live on a subchannel covered in leather.

You just need Congress...and totally suck up to the Boston people and deliver a very well funded WGBH.

I'm pulling this scenario completely out of my ass, but I would be willing to bet $1000 that this Idea has or will be floated.

Think big and crazy!

Of course, WGBH also owns WGBX-TV, so maybe those PBS programming from Ch.2 will move to Ch.44

Awsome!

NBC can remodel WGBX also....get it all ADA compliant...."green building" that runs on unicorn farts...more cash....

This could be the path of least resistance.

There is no anti trust issues....

Archived