Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And assuming CW heads to WSBK where does the rerun block known as MyNet go? Everyone else's schedules are pretty full right now so it can't be cherry picked. I wonder how a second sub on WCVB would be to solve this problem.

After midnight; if KCOP has corporate approval to carry scratch-rated infotainment in primetime (Hollywood Today Live is already in Titanic chair-shuffling mode three months in), it's clear Fox can't do much to prevent WSBK running a primary CW/secondary MyNet station. At this point MyNet seems to solely exist as a way for experimental indies/scared stations to claim some kind of network affiliation and the imaging package that goes with it.

...which becomes a massive Achilles heel in the wake of the ongoing cord-cutting movement.

well there's a whole lot of possibilities that Comcast has to ensure proper distribution of NBC Boston.

As I mentioned earlier... they have the NBC TV Everywhere platform- make that available without a cable subscription

-offer skinny bundles (i.e. local channels, etc) to those cord-cutters (maybe packaging it with internet service?)

well there's a whole lot of possibilities that Comcast has to ensure proper distribution of NBC Boston.

As I mentioned earlier... they have the NBC TV Everywhere platform- make that available without a cable subscription

-offer skinny bundles (i.e. local channels, etc) to those cord-cutters (maybe packaging it with internet service?)

Yup....think big and crazy. The industry will be watching closely for precedent. I gotta agree that creative skinny bundles are a great Idea...but will Comcast /NBC actually have the balls to set the trend???

Varies. Comcast in Boston and the immediate suburbs is 53, otherwise 19. RCN is 16, Fios 10.

3 and 8 seem to be mostly easily bumpable on most Boston area systems.

That said. They're pull an NBC Bay Area or NBC Connecticut and launch it, not as NBC Boston, no. It's going to be NBC New England to align with NECN.

After midnight; if KCOP has corporate approval to carry scratch-rated infotainment in primetime (Hollywood Today Live is already in Titanic chair-shuffling mode three months in), it's clear Fox can't do much to prevent WSBK running a primary CW/secondary MyNet station. At this point MyNet seems to solely exist as a way for experimental indies/scared stations to claim some kind of network affiliation and the imaging package that goes with it.

MyNetworkTV is more like a syndication package these days, where stations can carry it at anytime they want. In fact, it's been reported that CBS has had talks with FOX about switching some of it's MNTV stations to The CW if talks with Tribune fall through. If this were to actually happen, they'd probably go the dual CW/MNTV route and shift MNTV to late night.

Yup....think big and crazy. The industry will be watching closely for precedent. I gotta agree that creative skinny bundles are a great Idea...but will Comcast /NBC actually have the balls to set the trend???

absolutely. What everyone seems to be forgetting is that this isn't GE's NBC, it's Comcast's NBC. Comcast will take the risks and will push to make this work. If this was happening in 2009, then I would have put this off as a silly rumor, but with Comcast in charge, everything is on the table and they have the financial wherewithal to make it happen.

In regards to the skinny bundles, I have to think they would rather keep customers in some kind of capacity than losing them all together. Plus, all cable co.'s have some kind of bundles in their lineup. In some cases the internet is cheaper when bundled with tv and phone. Comcast could do something similar by offering cheaper internet with a skinny bundle. It's anyone's guess as to what they will do, but I can guarantee they're not going to sit around and do nothing.

...which becomes a massive Achilles heel in the wake of the ongoing cord-cutting movement.

but most cord cutters stream shows, most won't notice, most people who watch OTA TV probably never had cable (and never will), cable is losing subscribers to streaming services, not OTA TV, how many people under 30 have watched TV OTA?

more stations are streaming their local news also,

But does the streaming of local news count in the ratings? Nope.

absolutely. What everyone seems to be forgetting is that this isn't GE's NBC, it's Comcast's NBC. Comcast will take the risks and will push to make this work. If this was happening in 2009, then I would have put this off as a silly rumor, but with Comcast in charge, everything is on the table and they have the financial wherewithal to make it happen.

In regards to the skinny bundles, I have to think they would rather keep customers in some kind of capacity than losing them all together. Plus, all cable co.'s have some kind of bundles in their lineup. In some cases the internet is cheaper when bundled with tv and phone. Comcast could do something similar by offering cheaper internet with a skinny bundle. It's anyone's guess as to what they will do, but I can guarantee they're not going to sit around and do nothing.

Comcast has one of the poorest customer satisfaction rates and abysmal customer service, and no one in recorded history has ever said that their internet service is the best thing since sliced bread. This is nothing but pure delusion of grandeur on Comcast's part... they fail to notice that they have no chance for success in anyway whatsoever in a market where NewsCenter 5, WBZ, 7 NEWS and (Fox) 25 are known quantities.

If Comcast is so dead set on this Quixotic dream of an O&O in Boston, they deserve to fail. WNEU will make WWJ-TV look like a rip-roaring success by comparison.

more stations are streaming their local news also,

Like NewsON and WatchUp for example.

But does the streaming of local news count in the ratings? Nope.

Comcast has one of the poorest customer satisfaction rates and abysmal customer service, and no one in recorded history has ever said that their internet service is the best thing since sliced bread. This is nothing but pure delusion of grandeur on Comcast's part... they fail to notice that they have no chance for success in anyway whatsoever in a market where NewsCenter 5, WBZ, 7 NEWS and (Fox) 25 are known quantities.

If Comcast is so dead set on this Quixotic dream of an O&O in Boston, they deserve to fail. WNEU will make WWJ-TV look like a rip-roaring success by comparison.

WWJ will still suck worse as a CBS O&O than WNEU will as an NBC O&O.

Like NewsON and WatchUp for example.

WWJ will still suck worse as a CBS O&O than WNEU will as an NBC O&O.

WGPR/WWJ was a desperation move because WKBD and WXON couldn't back out (and that WXON overvalued itself). Seriously, that the whole New World thing happened as UPN and WB were launching complicated things further.

A hypothetical WNEU (or WMPF) situation is more akin to KNTV. Incumbent station owned by a family where selling for too much/not selling did or could do them in.

WGPR/WWJ was a desperation move because WKBD and WXON couldn't back out (and that WXON overvalued itself). Seriously, that the whole New World thing happened as UPN and WB were launching complicated things further.

A hypothetical WNEU (or WMPF) situation is more akin to KNTV. Incumbent station owned by a family where selling for too much/not selling did or could do them in.

And didn't NBC pour its resources into KNTV?

Here in Londonderry, NH, it's on 14, with the HD version on 716.

That might be an artifact from the WGOT era when they tried to go after WNDS for the title of "top non-WMUR station in NH". There are a fair number of areas in central/western NH that get WNEU but not WUNI/WUTF for similar reasons.

KNTV had an existing news department, a decent program inventory, and a signal that at least covered San Francisco adequately. KRON was sold for $800M by the deYoungs to the Young family, and the Youngs failed to grasp what NBC was going to do to their investment.

WNEU has no news department, no programming inventory and a signal that is nonexistent in Boston proper. WHDH is owned by the Ansin family, who probably realize that WHDH may be worth far more as a news-intensive CW affiliate with no restraints on the WSVN bleeds-it-leads formula, and will seriously ramp up a revamp of "7 News" throughout 2016.

There is no comparison between the two. WNEU has no shot at success whatsoever.

KNTV had an existing news department, a decent program inventory, and a signal that at least covered San Francisco adequately. KRON was sold for $800M by the deYoungs to the Young family, and the Youngs failed to grasp what NBC was going to do to their investment.

WNEU has no news department, no programming inventory and a signal that is nonexistent in Boston proper. WHDH is owned by the Ansin family, who probably realize that WHDH may be worth far more as a news-intensive CW affiliate with no restraints on the WSVN bleeds-it-leads formula, and will seriously ramp up a revamp of "7 News" throughout 2016.

There is no comparison between the two. WNEU has no shot at success whatsoever.

I disagree with you. I think NBC will increase WNEU's signal so that it reaches Boston and invest in a news department that'll be #1 or 2 (or #3 if WHDH still is a close runner-up/market leader) in the Boston market.

I disagree with you. I think NBC will increase WNEU's signal so that it reaches Boston and invest in a news department that'll be #1 or 2 (or #3 if WHDH still is a close runner-up/market leader) in the Boston market.

I completely and vehemently disagree. #1 or #2? When viewer loyalties to WCVB, WBZ and WHDH are decades in the making, and where Cox is in the midst of a rebuild of WFXT? That's absolutely insane and representative of the groupthink that is apparently pervasive at 30 Rock.

NBC will become totally irrelevant in Boston proper with a craptacular signal for WNEU that can't be upgraded, and the newscasts will be lucky to draw hash marks for ratings.

Archived