Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was walking by WHDH's studios yesterday and I realized that any sort of sale/cashing out would probably trigger a redevelopment of their studio site given that it is prime real estate which will fetch a lot of money. Boston real estate is a game that nobody can lose especially a family with roots in real estate.

Also, a shutdown of WLVI might be problematic. I know Sunbeam hates spending for syndicated programming but where would their inventory (most notably the NBCU trash talk trio and Modern Family) go? And assuming CW heads to WSBK where does the rerun block known as MyNet go? Everyone else's schedules are pretty full right now so it can't be cherry picked. I wonder how a second sub on WCVB would be to solve this problem.

There is no way Sunbeam makes it out of this situation without at least some scrapes.

I expect WHDH and WSVN to remain in the Ansin family beyond Ed's eventual retirement or passing. And for WHDH to remain with NBC.

In the end, this will all be much ado about nothing.

There goes all hope for a new boyband.

For all we know, NBC might just re-up with WHDH and make the affiliation agreement stronger. NBC seems to only be using WNEU/NECN (for now) as a scare tactic to get Ansin in line come 2017.

This actually sums up a comparison this sitch has with Fox's attempt to strongarm Tribune into selling them KCPQ. The only difference here is that Fox Television Stations purchased a station with signal coverage issues no different than WNEU (as opposed to this situation where NBC already owns a station it could use as, albeit mediocre, leverage) and didn't have an existing cable news channel to build a news department out of.

Either way, it wouldn't make sense for NBC to move its programming to WNEU for the reasons some of you have illustrated, including the signal coverage and PSIP channel issues. On the latter note, WNEU would end up with the second-highest virtual channel of any Big Three station, behind WWJ-TV (if you add Fox affiliates like WFXP, WTIC and WSYT, it would still rank among the top 10).

My question is, if NBC did choose to move to WNEU, what happens to Cozi TV? NBC and Telemundo broadcast in 1080i, Cozi airs on all of NBC's non-Telemundo O&Os (WNEU doesn't carry it, I think WMFP does, correct me if I'm wrong) and transmits in 480i as does TeleXitos. It'd require both larger networks to be downgraded to 720p to fit them all without degrading either NBC or Telemundo's HD feeds.

Between selling WHDH, cashing in the WLVI spectrum, selling the non-license assets of WLVI, and the potential price a redevelopment of the WHDH studio site could bring, the Ansins could clear $1 billion. Given their history of giving in the area, that could do a ton of good.

Something that never comes up is the tax burden if Ed dies. Of course, they seem like the exception to the rule even if they hold no cards in this battle or the probable fact that WLVI might lose CW too.

Seems like they're mostly going off the NE1 report although it does say they apparently confirmed it themselves.

I think this far from a "done deal" (how many times in history have anonymous sources been wrong...) and even further from being a "crisis."

Even the worst case scenario for WHDH (losing NBC) is not necessarily the kiss of death. KTVK and WJXT are getting along just fine without their big 3 networks, and WISH's news ratings haven't exactly gone down the toilet. Oh...and there's that little station called WSVN that faced the same situation a few years back...well before Fox was even close to the same level CW is at now.

Re: all the ownership change conjecture... at the end of the day, regardless of what happens, Ansin will own WHDH and NBC will own WNEU. What will be airing on those stations is what's up for debate.

NBC cannot be so dumb as to actually go through with this.

Yes, they have a news department ready to go in NECN, but it would be a clusterfuck and, in a day and age where linear TV is losing ground, that could prove fatal.

If NBC wants an O&O in Boston, they will get it. They have plenty of resources to make it happen, plain and simple. I'm sure they've done their due diligence and understand the difficulties in pulling this off. Plus, i'm sure they're comfortable in moving forward with their contingency plans should Ansin refuse to sell WHDH. Keep in mind they're banking on the high cable penetration rate of the market...

If NBC wants an O&O in Boston, they will get it. They have plenty of resources to make it happen, plain and simple. I'm sure they've done their due diligence and understand the difficulties in pulling this off. Plus, i'm sure they're comfortable in moving forward with their contingency plans should Ansin refuse to sell WHDH. Keep in mind they're banking on the high cable penetration rate of the market...

I doubt Ansin wants to let go of WHDH. If anything, they're going to go through with the WNEU plan. Now we obviously know about the reception issues that will plague WNEU if they're the only "NBC Boston" transmitter. If push comes to shove and the Peacock considers getting a signal that can penetrate Boston, NBC should attempt to buy WMFP. Via RabbitEars, Here's why:Screenshot_2015-12-18-20-02-40.thumb.png.9ae4a4c079aa5216aa079dead9237b08.png

I doubt Ansin wants to let go of WHDH. If anything, they're going to go through with the WNEU plan. Now we obviously know about the reception issues that will plague WNEU if they're the only "NBC Boston" transmitter. If push comes to shove and the Peacock considers getting a signal that can penetrate Boston, NBC should attempt to buy WMFP. Via RabbitEars, Here's why:[ATTACH=full]2487[/ATTACH]

If they can make it a lower PSIP it would be near ideal.

but doesn't Boston have a large number of college students who don't have a cable subscription?

but many college students don't even have have a TV

Some Universities have communal tv's available.

Also, there's the NBC TV Everywhere platform, and theoretically Comcast could work with the Universities in the area to offer free access to the students to watch NBC online.

I've been following along with this story since NE1 broke it. I beleve WHDH is gets pretty good ratings and was dead on right with the Jay Leno thing and seen the maps of NBC proposed signal move. I have to ask this.

Is NBC trying to be irrelevant in Boston?

How WHDH will do after the switch, Just look at WSVN. If it happens The winner might be The CW they move to a News Heavy station. WHDH can expand the News how they wish and become a news force in New England.

With NBC it is a Lose-Lose situation. Yes, they have NECN and CSN New England but the signal as pointed out by YTownNews are straight up crappy and They are building a seperate news operation in a top 10 market from scratch ask CBS about WWJ-TV.

NBC may hate Sunbeam but they need to realize fast the way they are heading might hurt NBC in the long run and in the short term to get people to tune in to the new station

Does anyone know why NBC can't offer a deal which in part swaps the nbc station in Miami which is rumored to be for sale?

WTVJ isn't for sale, hasn't been since Post-Newsweek backed out several years ago.

Does anyone know why NBC can't offer a deal which in part swaps the nbc station in Miami which is rumored to be for sale?

First off, Sunbeam already owns WSVN in Miami, and when P-NW tried to buy WTVJ, they had a hard time doing so. Lastly, I've heard of no rumor that it's for sale.

Sunbeam will NEVER EVER sell WSVN in Miami. That is their flagship property. Plus, even if Ed Ansin dies, somebody else will take over Sunbeam to keep WSVN alive in their hands.
But wouldn't they sell a partial stake of WSVN to anyone, or is Ed Ansin not willing to sell even a partial stake?

Okay, here's a crazy thought: What if NBC is actually planning on pulling a WMUR/WWSB and make WNEU an affiliate for the southern/central NH portion of the market? NBC New Hampshire, in other words.

Archived