Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the movement of transmitter sites and installations of translators / LD's were put on hold until after the spectrum auction?

I'm pretty sure you're right. They're not going to be able to do anything until well after the auction.

Again, more evidence that they're just blowing smoke.

Also what the hell does ABC have to do with this???

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure you're right. They're not going to be able to do anything until well after the auction.

Again, more evidence that they're just blowing smoke.

Also what the hell does ABC have to do with this???

Plus the station is with in 400km of the Canadian border, which means changes have to be agreed upon with Canada.

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=616149&map=N&contour=Y&int=N&pop=N&incpop=&excpop=&z1=N&lprw=N&head=Y&asrn=&extras=&cir=400&circen=42.9838888889,-71.5888888889

Edit: It looks like stations within 110 km need coordination. http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=71e9de8e275c66b7eea540fb24fbff0c&mc=true&node=se47.5.90_1619&rgn=div8

Also, if NBC yanks the affiliation from WHDH, then that would make 11alive the largest NBC affiliate not owned by the network itself, and TEGNA the station group with the largest affiliates of NBC (11alive), CBS (WUSA9), and ABC (WFAA) not owned by their respective networks

And calling it a "Crisis"? This is no more a crisis then when the Original WHDH Had their license pulled by the FCC, which gave us WCVB, or a few years later when because RKO General had their licenses revoked including WNAC TV which eventually became, you guessed it the new WHDH...

Those two instances were legit crises. This is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

And isn't Boston one of the few markets - if not the ONLY market - that has seen TWO broadcast licenses revoked by the FCC for misconduct practices? The other high-profile license revocations that come to my mind are WCKT (which, coincidentally, Sunbeam took over operations) WLBT (because of rampant and blatant racism by the owners and management) and WJIM-TV (for exclusion of political viewpoints that caught the ire of the ACLU)...

A second article on TVSpy about this: http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/boston-tv-news-set-for-seismic-shakeup/160563

Also, the Boston Herald has a story on it too: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2015/12/nbc_dials_up_heat_ch_7_set_to_lose_network_affiliation

I really hope that this is just NBC trying to scare Sunbeam into selling, because I feel like "NBC Boston" on WNEU-60 will fail before it even starts. KNTV took a while to gain traction in the SF Bay Area, and WWJ .... we all know where they're at today. And as meaningless as it may be in today's technological world, channel numbers still mean something to the everyday person.

Also interesting that WBZ, WCVB, and "WNEU NBC Boston" are chasing Maria Stephanos. How stupid was WFXT to let her go!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the movement of transmitter sites and installations of translators / LD's were put on hold until after the spectrum auction?

That could be....

However there are exceptions, waivers, etc that can be granted by the FCC OR.....

A simple act of Congress. A simple "rider" placed in a spending bill, like the continued spending bills being approved every few months.

It's been done with PBS / network affils before....and it can happen again.

Does anybody here really think the people of Boston, The FCC, LGBT groups, minorities etc would object to solid increases in funding and new equipment ?

How about 100 new jobs for people of color and diversity?

How about funding for more diverse programming?

It's an easy sell to the people. They lose nothing in the exchange seeing that WGBH is already on UHF.

Who honestly would object?

Those two instances were legit crises. This is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

And isn't Boston one of the few markets - if not the ONLY market - that has seen TWO broadcast licenses revoked by the FCC for misconduct practices? The other high-profile license revocations that come to my mind are WCKT (which, coincidentally, Sunbeam took over operations) WLBT (because of rampant and blatant racism by the owners and management) and WJIM-TV (for exclusion of political viewpoints that caught the ire of the ACLU)...

A drop in pledges and funding is always a crisis.....and PBS is ALWAYS in a funding crisis.

NBC could sell it by promising Bostonians "No More Pledge Drives".

Also, how would the Hispanic population react to Telemundo being relegated to a subchannel - perhaps not in HD?

They wouldn't care trust me on this cuz it's a cultural thing.

They WILL find the novellas and Primer Impacto.

Almost all the #1 Spanish speaking outlets are on UHF' and Lp's. Nowadays people have no problem finding subchannels because tv automatically scan the subs on set-up.

All I see this as is similar to what could have happened in Seattle between Fox and KCPQ...and didn't. Nothing is going to happen here. NBC is going to stay with WHDH.

Except with Tribune, they have a good relationship with Fox, whereas NBC and Ed Ansin have bad blood between each other

Who would you like to see acquire WHDH? NBCUniversal, Tegna, Tribune, Gray, Nexstar or Raycom?

Not Gray or Nexstar. Maybe Sinclair? They could get WSVN too. Of course, they would have to sell some stations to get under the cap, mainly KUCW Minneapolis or underperformers like KDNL St Louis.

Who would you like to see acquire WHDH? NBCUniversal, Tegna, Tribune, Gray, Nexstar or Raycom?

I expect WHDH and WSVN to remain in the Ansin family beyond Ed's eventual retirement or passing. And for WHDH to remain with NBC.

In the end, this will all be much ado about nothing.

I expect WHDH and WSVN to remain in the Ansin family beyond Ed's eventual retirement or passing. And for WHDH to remain with NBC.

In the end, this will all be much ado about nothing.

This. Nobody is going to buy WHDH. It's clearly not for sale. IF -and that's a big IF- something happens, it will be them losing the NBC affiliation.

Don't forget about WTMU-LP, which is a relay of WNEU, except the license holder is ZGS and not NBC. When WTMU flash-cuts to DT 46, here will be its distance to Boston:
That's why I said they should consider buying WTMU as well.

Well for anyone that thinks that WNEU can reach Boston:

Here's a better map from RabbitEars:

wneu-coverage-map-png.2479

And the technical info:

wneu-2-png.2480

I'm sorry, but this technical data makes all this speculation even more laughable. There is no way that NBC would be this stupid to think that WNEU could hold the NBC affiliation for Boston.

And if they are threatening Sunbeam with such a possibility, I would give Sunbeam brass a lot of credit for not choking to death from laughter.

Not Gray or Nexstar. Maybe Sinclair? They could get WSVN too. Of course, they would have to sell some stations to get under the cap, mainly KUCW Minneapolis or underperformers like KDNL St Louis.

Like Hell, Sinclair will get their hands on WSVN!!!! I'd sell it to Tenga.

Archived