Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He needs to do his research as to which company will keep WSVN as the way it is first before he can finally decided as to which company to sell the station to.

If anything, I would love to see a small company like Heartland Media buy WSVN and not the big ones like Gray or Sinclair or Raycom.

Is it a given that Ansin's family doesn't want to remain in the broadcasting business once Ed passes or retires?

For all we know, NBC might just re-up with WHDH and make the affiliation agreement stronger. NBC seems to only be using WNEU/NECN (for now) as a scare tactic to get Ansin in line come 2017.

If so, that's one of the least effective scare tactics in recent memory.

Guest NewsHound
So shouldn't this thread be moved to Speculatron 9000?

Thank you GOD! Someone who is the voice of reason.

Also, someone needs to commit EatNews, I feel like he has quite a few screws loose.

I doubt WRC would be in play. Of the current NBC O&Os, WVIT would be the first to go, and then WTVJ.

I think a lot of this is speculation and nothing more at this point. Perhaps NBC is trying to scare Asnin into selling, but may ultimately do nothing. Since everyone else is throwing out their wild speculations, here's my out there scenario: ABC jumps in and buys WHDH and WSVN (and makes them both ABC7's); NBC trades WVIT (Hartford) to Hearst for WCVB (Boston); Cox buys WLVI; WSBK acquires the CW programming, and WLVI gets MNTV. WPLG in Miami becomes Fox 10, owned by BH.

Why would NBC want to sell/trade WVIT? They are an emerging station and catching up to longtime competitor WFSB-3(CBS) in recent years. They crush WTNH-8(ABC) and WTIC-61(FOX) who are in 3rd and 4th places. They got a new building in 2009 when they went HD (the first station in CT to do so), and NBC/Comcast has poured a boatload amount of money into the station. I don't see a sale.

I have mixed feelings about moving this thread. The orange tag is kinda a compromise between the two. I'd prefer not to move it, because there are legitimate things to talk about here, but the wild speculation about affiliation changes and sales of stations not even in Massachusetts should really be toned down...

Why would NBC want to sell/trade WVIT? They are an emerging station and catching up to longtime competitor WFSB-3(CBS) in recent years. They crush WTNH-8(ABC) and WTIC-61(FOX) who are in 3rd and 4th places. They got a new building in 2009 when they went HD (the first station in CT to do so), and NBC/Comcast has poured a boatload amount of money into the station. I don't see a sale.

I was stating my wild out there scenario since everybody else was. However, I stand by what I said with regards to that. If any station were to go from the NBC O&Os, WVIT would be the first. I don't care how much money has been poored into it or how well it's doing ratingswise. 7 of the NBC O&Os are in the Top 7 markets, another at 16 (Miami), San Diego at 28, and Hartford at 30. Common sense says ideally Hartford would be the first to go.

If it happened in Charlotte between WJZY and WCCB....it could most certainly happen in Boston between WHDH and WNEU.

Given the bad blood between Ansin and NBC, this has been a long time coming. Remember that WBZ was not yet owned by CBS since the Westinghouse merger happened AFTER they aligned all of their stations with CBS.

That's not a valid comparison. WJZY was an established station that fully covers the market, and was a major ace in Fox's sleeve so they could have an O&O in a fast-growing NFC market. WNEU is a rimshot Telemundo O&O that is heavily dependent on cable penetration in order to have any reasonable coverage to speak of (and with the current cord-cutting movement, that's not necessarily a good thing now).

Threatening to move NBC to WNEU reminds me more of Fox's purchase of KBCB/Bellingham as a bully tactic to force Tribune into trading away KCPQ. Tribune laughed Fox right out of the room.

Ed Ansin holds all the cards here, just as he did in 1994.

...the wild speculation about affiliation changes and sales of stations not even in Massachusetts should really be toned down...

Agreed.

Besides, we all know that Hearst is eyeing the big prizes: KABC and WABC.

[/logs off while bracing for the first person to actually take this post seriously]

Ed Ansin runs the largest NBC Affiliate by market size in the country.

That's a pretty big target to have on your back. And based on their history between WSVN and WHDH, it's NBC's turn.

A rimshot signal is not going to stop NBC from setting up shop on their own station. If anything, it's an excuse to say they are still committed to broadcasting. Maybe they'll actually move the facility closer to town so it has parity with the other stations. NBC did the same when they got KNTV, eventually moving the signal from San Jose to an area with the other Bay Area stations.

But it could be another power play by Comcast to have the NBC affiliation under their wrath...

Channel numbers mean nothing these days. "NBC Boston" could be on channel 999 and people would still watch it. The UHF stigma is long dead, since it is the vastly superior method of broadcasting ATSC television.

I'm very curious to see the affiliation agreements for my market but can't find them on the FCC's site. How exactly did you come across that?

First, you go to the FCC's station profiles website and search for the station you want to find affiliation agreements for. Once you get to the station's profile, there is a tab that says "Ownership Reports" when you hover over it. Click that, then on the "Ownership Reports" page, click "Contracts and Additional Documents". Finally, on the next page, click "Contracts and Agreements", and, depending on each station, either a list of affiliation agreements or the actual agreements should be there.

That's not a valid comparison. WJZY was an established station that fully covers the market, and was a major ace in Fox's sleeve so they could have an O&O in a fast-growing NFC market. WNEU is a rimshot Telemundo O&O that is heavily dependent on cable penetration in order to have any reasonable coverage to speak of (and with the current cord-cutting movement, that's not necessarily a good thing now).

Threatening to move NBC to WNEU reminds me more of Fox's purchase of KBCB/Bellingham as a bully tactic to force Tribune into trading away KCPQ. Tribune laughed Fox right out of the room.

Ed Ansin holds all the cards here, just as he did in 1994.

If you look at the coverage maps on RabbitEars, WNEU doesn't even reach Boston, while WJAR, as with all of the other major commercial stations in Providence, does. That would be a pretty interesting situation if NBC was to move to WNEU.

I would have been surprised if FOX had any success with KBCB, and likewise, I don't think NBC would have much success with WNEU, especially if another station is viewable over-the-air and cord-cutting continues.

Agreed.

Besides, we all know that Hearst is eyeing the big prizes: KABC and WABC.

[/logs off while bracing for the first person to actually take this post seriously]

Oh no for speculation 1 million Sinclair is looking at KABC, WABC, WLS... that for shits & giggles, but who's looking at WABC, KABC & The Channel 7 family along with their favorite cousin WPVI and step-cousin WTVD is COX.:smash:

As for Ed this what he said about selling WSVN back in 1987 almost 30 years ago.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1987-03-16/business/8701160725_1_ansin-station-nbc

If you look at the coverage maps on RabbitEars, WNEU doesn't even reach Boston, while WJAR, as with all of the other major commercial stations in Providence, does. That would be a pretty interesting situation if NBC was to move to WNEU.

I live 15 miles south of Boston and I don't receive WJAR or any Providence stations over the air (well, since the DTV transition.. i used to get WJAR and WPRI almost crystal clear before the transition).

I doubt WRC would be in play. Of the current NBC O&Os, WVIT would be the first to go, and then WTVJ.

I think a lot of this is speculation and nothing more at this point. Perhaps NBC is trying to scare Asnin into selling, but may ultimately do nothing. Since everyone else is throwing out their wild speculations, here's my out there scenario: ABC jumps in and buys WHDH and WSVN (and makes them both ABC7's); NBC trades WVIT (Hartford) to Hearst for WCVB (Boston); Cox buys WLVI; WSBK acquires the CW programming, and WLVI gets MNTV. WPLG in Miami becomes Fox 10, owned by BH.

You forgot to work KRON and the spectrum auction into the scenario.

With a transmitter in NH with an ERP of EIGHTY kw, there's absolutely NO WAY that WNEU can cover Boston. Can WNEU apply for a power boost? If not, NBC will be seeing SEVENTH place, behind WSBK.

Yup. That's why I can't take this whole scenario as a serious scare tactic. And I have a hunch that Sunbeam brass aren't taking that threat seriously, either.

Even the notion of moving the affiliation to NECN is a non-starter. It would not only decimate and denigrate NECN, the Department of Justice would not look too kindly on a broadcast OTA network - now owned by a cable company conglomerate - moving their affiliate in a top 10 market to CATV-only.

And calling it a "Crisis"? This is no more a crisis then when the Original WHDH Had their license pulled by the FCC, which gave us WCVB, or a few years later when because RKO General had their licenses revoked including WNAC TV which eventually became, you guessed it the new WHDH...

Archived