Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll probably go with "Boston News" or "Boston 60 News". Something generic/temporary to hold them over until January. I'm sure they can use the NECN graphics and modify them with different logos.

Working to confirm but has anybody heard about this?

[MEDIA=twitter]738088562126692353[/MEDIA]

This kind of old news. The Boston Globe reported on the "soft launch" two weeks ago. And, CircleSeven noted and linked to that article on the previous page of this thread.

It's already been noted/mentioned within the thread that they (likely) have lined up their syndicated programming for the start of the fall season. So, I guess it's not shocking they plan to "soft launch" in the fall with the syndicated programming and I'm guessing newscasts sourced from NECN.

They'll probably go with "Boston News" or "Boston 60 News". Something generic/temporary to hold them over until January. I'm sure they can use the NECN graphics and modify them with different logos.

I think that's exactly what they'll go with, "Boston News". That way all they have to do is add NBC onto the beginning (least amount of change in branding).

Kind of how WWOR went from "UPN 9 News" to "9 News" (between affiliations) to "My 9 News".

the WHDH branding will probably end up being WSVN's in a way while NBC boston is going to probably have look F or Look G. WNEU will probably have to mirror their news format like WSCV. NBC Boston will also be used as a live stream for NBC.com along with NBC's other O&Os. we might expect LA groove probably.

The only branding change WHDH will have to make is to remove all references to NBC. Last I checked, that pretty much consisted of the peacock logo in the newscast opens and any reference to "7NBC". It won't be hard.

Unless, of course, they decide to upgrade the set to match WSVN's, which I like to call

Hopefully, the FCC would assign the call sign for the new NBC Boston and there would be a digital UHF channel number, and an unused over-the-air vitual channel number available for NBC Boston, hoping that NBC programming would remain over the air for free. That way, the station would be permanently rebranded as "NBC (insert virtual channel number)" with WNEU Telemundo Boston remaining on channel 60.1 Fingers crossed.

Umm....what?

The only branding change WHDH will have to make is to remove all references to NBC. Last I checked, that pretty much consisted of the peacock logo in the newscast opens and any reference to "7NBC". It won't be hard.

Unless, of course, they decide to upgrade the set to match WSVN's, which I like to call

WHDH did co-brand as "7NBC" but that was a while back.

Umm....what?

Hello, mre29. Hopefully, the FCC would assign the call sign for the new NBC Boston--perhaps WNEN ("We're New England's NBC") and there would be a digital UHF channel number, and an unused over-the-air vitual channel number available for NBC Boston, hoping that NBC programming would remain over the air for free. That way, the station would be permanently rebranded as "NBC (insert virtual channel number)" with WNEU Telemundo Boston remaining on channel 60.1 That is, since WHDH would go independent in 2017. Fingers crossed.

I feel like they'd brand the interim newscasts under the NECN name--that would make the most sense on both news production and getting eyeballs onto the show in the first place.

I feel like they'd brand the interim newscasts under the NECN name--that would make the most sense on both news production and getting eyeballs onto the show in the first place.

With WNEU's non-existant OTA signal, a ludicrous PSIP position, a cable presence that few people know about, and no NBC programming, they will be lucky to get ANY viewers whatsoever with this arrangement as-is. NECN is going to outdraw WNEU by a wide margin.

This has all the makings of a complete and total disaster for Comcast... unless they call pull some lucky rabbit out of their hats.

Hopefully, the FCC would assign the call sign for the new NBC Boston and there would be a digital UHF channel number, and an unused over-the-air vitual channel number available for NBC Boston, hoping that NBC programming would remain over the air for free. That way, the station would be permanently rebranded as "NBC (insert virtual channel number)" with WNEU Telemundo Boston remaining on channel 60.1 Fingers crossed.

The call sign is staying as WNEU. Few people pay attention to call signs anyway... even heritage calls like WCAU, WRC, WTVJ or WMAQ. WHDH viewers are far more apt to refer to the station as "7 NEWS" - not WHDH.

WNEU is staying on channel 60, no matter what. The FCC is not going to magically give the station a new PSIP just because NBC. If Comcast wants a lower PSIP and a better signal for WNEU they are going to have to buy WBPX, especially if Ed Ansin give the peacock the bird.

Besides... NBC will remain OTA. One catch: you've gotta live in Manchester, NH or are willing to pipe in WJAR on your outdoor areial.

Comcast doesn't want to be competitive with WNEU in any way. They just want to screw Ed Ansin over. Spoiler alert: they are going to fail tremendously and inflict damage on the network in doing so.

This is shaping up to be the next WWJ Detroit taken to the next level.

Some kind of OTT platform (like a Roku channel) may be the only way to reach a majority of Bostonians without pay TV...

The whole master plan is to wean the masses off of free tv(ota) anyway.

I honestly think this is a big deal out of nothing. As I said before OTA only accounts for 3.8% of the Boston DMA - the rest have cable or satellite. With Comcast controlling the cable system they're going to get a good placement.

Edit: Here's the data to support it: http://www.tvb.org/Public/Research/CompetitiveMedia/CableADS/ADS,WiredCableandOverTheAirPenetrationbyDMA.aspx

I imagine NBC will also work with DirecTV and Dish so that its carried as well.

I honestly think this is a big deal out of nothing. As I said before OTA only accounts for 3.8% of the Boston DMA - the rest have cable or satellite. With Comcast controlling the cable system they're going to get a good placement.

Edit: Here's the data to support it: http://www.tvb.org/Public/Research/CompetitiveMedia/CableADS/ADS,WiredCableandOverTheAirPenetrationbyDMA.aspx

I imagine NBC will also work with DirecTV and Dish so that its carried as well.

And according to that list, Boston is home to the lowest OTA percentage in the nation with Hartford and New Haven placing second at just 4% OTA.

The call sign is staying as WNEU. Few people pay attention to call signs anyway... even heritage calls like WCAU, WRC, WTVJ or WMAQ. WHDH viewers are far more apt to refer to the station as "7 NEWS" - not WHDH.

I dunno...I seem to recall CW and My Network TV affiliates changing their call letters like it was going out of style back in 2006.

...just wait until NBCUniversal gets into a retransmission spat with either Dish or AT&T....

I'm not sure when the requirement that Comcast has to avoid retransmission disputes ends. I know if the Time Warner Cable deal was to continue it was going to be extended for at least five more years.

I dunno...I seem to recall CW and My Network TV affiliates changing their call letters like it was going out of style back in 2006.

Didn't a lot of those stations have either a part of UPN or WB in their call signs?

Didn't a lot of those stations have either a part of UPN or WB in their call signs?

Not all of them. I remember seeing a number of them that gave up calls that had nothing to do with UPN or the WB.

Despite that heavy cable rate there, it is still important to have an OTA signal so everyone (including the ones that that don't have cable) can watch NBC. I feel OTA comes first than cable, but it seems that Comcast is not too quick in finding an OTA placement. And that's a shame.

Archived