February 2016 Sweeps Ratings

HardNewsCLT

Big news in Charlotte. WBTV is #1 in all time slots! This is the first time that WSOC wasn't the top dog since February 1990! Can't say I'm surprised. I emailed the news director last July about the overall decline in quality.

6 AM

WBTV 63,400 +20%

WSOC 59,600 -24%

WCNC 19,400 -13%

WCCB 7,700 -53%

WJZY 1,700 +49%

NOON

WBTV 80,400 +4%

WSOC 64,600 -27%

WCNC 21,100 -5%

6 PM

WBTV 111,800 +3%

WSOC 106,100 -33%

WCNC 51,300 -14%

WJZY 4,700 +6%

NETWORK NEWS

ABC 126,000 -25%

CBS 97,700 -13%

NBC 69,700 -23%

10 PM

WAXN 41,100 -20%

WCCB 22,200 -40%

WJZY 13,700 -35%

11 PM

WBTV 83,400 +8%

WSOC 62,700 -37%

WCNC 37,000 -1%

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/tv/media-scene-blog/article63645822.html#storylink=cpy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NewsHound
Your 6am and 6pm are by the skin of their teeth too...

Haven't historically WBTV and WSOC always traded between 1st and 2nd? I know the no-surprise here is WCNC is still 3rd, WCCB is still 4th, and WJZY... Is a blip.

Haven't historically WBTV and WSOC always traded between 1st and 2nd? I know the no-surprise here is WCNC is still 3rd, WCCB is still 4th, and WJZY... Is a blip.

Yes... its always been between WBTV and WSOC. WBTV was first followed by WSOC in 1990 and now its back to WBTV... for now.

As a whole, yes, since 1990, WSOC had been #1. However, WBTV has almost always won a newscast or two every sweeps (mornings, noon, I think they've won 11pm a couple of times too).

Until this thread I barely knew these existed... Just reading the numbers cited above.. They aren't all that convincing...

Things to note in Chicago:

• 10pm, in order- WLS, WMAQ, WBBM, WGN
  • WLS is #1 in total viewers in all competing news slots
  • WMAQ is #1 at 10 in the demo and #2 in the early evening, except for at 5pm where...
  • WGBO (UNI) ties NBC5 for #2
  • WGN is #1 in the demo before 7am, and an overall #1 after. They also lead at 9pm and midday
  • WBBM's lone success is the 11am demo, where they tie WGN

All in all, nothing surprising. While not competitive in the time slot, WGN is playing spoiler at 10pm, stealing from WBBM and WLS, the latter of which is down 1.5 year-to-year. WMAQ remains steady.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/8022-february-2016-sweeps-abc-7-wins-again-nbc-5-makes-big-gains

Not unless you're management at a TV station. You'll have to wait for commercials, press releases and news paper articles.

And in many , many markets both large and small not even the station News Director will be shown an entire book....just select dayparts.

The entire book is closely guarded in most stations/ groups.

And in many , many markets both large and small not even the station News Director will be shown an entire book....just select dayparts.

The entire book is closely guarded in most stations/ groups.

I understand that it's obscenely expensive but find it funny the ND wouldn't see it.

I understand that it's obscenely expensive but find it funny the ND wouldn't see it.

They see select parts ...GM's use it as a management tool.

You don't want your ND's getting big heads and showing portions to possible future employeers out of the market.

1. KCRA still among the most viewers now that they added 4PM News to Bring in more viewers than KOVR's 4PM News.

2. KOVR

3. KXTV

4. KTXL

5. KUVS

I had a feeling that was the order in Sacramento, considering that KOVR is a good and strong news operation, compared to KXTV and KTXL.

Btw, R.I.P. to WSOC's 26 years of being Charlotte's #1 News.

You have to understand that HR decisions are made based on the book. HR stuff is often litigated in court.

The contents of the book can be worth millions of dollars...or get a lot of people fired.

The contents must be closely guarded from the top down. There are contractual agreements stations make when purchasing the book about NON disclosure.

You are not going to find a copy of the Feb sweeps sitting in a binder in the break room.

When the typical Feb book "arrives" (by stork) the GM or GSM gets with the promo person first to eeek out a news promo or two...that's if it's good news.

If it's not good news then the book gets stashed with the VP or GM until they can comb over it with the consultants and other non-air breathers.

A majority of all news directors will be in "the dark" about the true ratings for quite some time. The GM and GSM need time to "spin the ratings"....and the ND will have their own spin that they will try to flush uphill to the troops.

Ok...

There is that one in one hundred station that is open to the employees...but not many have access to all the numbers.

A quick snap shot from Cincinnati, OH during sweeps. Well see if they have any final results after this article was printed.

Late News

WLWT/5 (NBC) 4.6 [11pm]

WCPO/9 (ABC) 4.5 [11pm]

WKRC/12(CBS) 7.8 [11pm]

WXIX/19 (FOX) 4.7 [10pm]

AM News 5-7AM

WLWT/5 (NBC) 2.7

WCPO/9 (ABC) 2.5

WKRC/12(CBS) 5.0

WXIX/19 (FOX) 2.7

AM News from 7-9AM

WLWT/5 (NBC) 4.2 Today

WCPO/9 (ABC) 3.8 GMA

WKRC/12(CBS) 4.9 CBS This Morning

WXIX/19 (FOX) 4.2 Local News

http://wvxu.org/post/rob-williams-named-fox-19-evening-co-anchor#stream/0

(Waiting patiently for the Atlanta numbers...though I'm guessing WGCL -- with the help of Super Bowl 50 (of course) and this year's Grammys being on a Monday -- posed a serious threat somewhat to the other stations with Sharon Reed and Ben Swann the only anchor team at 4:00, 5:00, 6:00, and 11:00)

Archived