KTVZ meterologist Russell Bird, 27, commits suicide

AKA

This is really, really sad. Suicide is serious business and not to be messed around with. I have experience of it within my family and there may be no worse feeling than getting that dreadful call. Prayers to his family. This brings back memories of Don Harman in Kansas City some years ago.

I hate these stories, considering that one... I wanna get into the broadcasting business and two... I've had suicidal thoughts for years. (I'm not making that up.)

Get help man. Seriously.

Unfortunately this has a strong Columbus Connection as well. He interned with WSYX/WTTE while at Ohio State, before he joined KTVZ. So it's not just one newsroom morning it's two as well today That I'm sending my Love, Thoughts and Prayers to.

I hate these stories, considering that one... I wanna get into the broadcasting business and two... I've had suicidal thoughts for years. (I'm not making that up.)

Roly, I'll repeat what MidwestTV said, If you have these problem get help if there is anything good that can come from this, if any at all, is help is there if you want to and desire to get it.

Call 1-800-273-8255, Talk with them because I don't want anymore Russel Birds or anyone else on that list. It's an ugly list I don't want any one names to be on ever.

Get help. There's no shame in seeing a psychiatrist or checking yourself into a hospital.

I know we may disagree on stuff at times, but I like to think we're all friends on here. You seem like a cool guy with a bright future. Please take the other's advice and get the right help.

I actually went to school for journalism, but my passion was education, and I ended up as a School Counselor. As a school counselor, I need you to call the National Suicide Hotline, 1 (800) 273-8255 ( the same number as the other poster posted.). Mental illness is something that is often swept under the rug. However,there is definitely many resources out there. If you need more assistance, or need help finding someone or somewhere, PM me. Condolences to that meteorologist's family.

I am going to say the exact same thing as everyone has said, please get help

Suicide is not a joke at all or not a acceptable way to go and it's not a pretty picture to deal with. Please for everyone's sake, call the suicide hotline at 1 (800)273-8255.

Mental illness is not taken lightly nor largely a joking matter to be played around with. Please for everyone's sake, please get help soon!

I was in the booth (producing) when Don Harman died. First the EP pulled my meteorologist off the air. I didn't think anything of it. Then I passed my GM crying on the stairwell and I thought "Do I want to go back to the newsroom or go straight home?" I went to the newsroom and they told me what happened. I produced the memorial show the next day.

I've been there, making $18,000 at my first job, being laid off, then being laid off from job number two. It's hard to crack someone's shell if they're listening to the demons, and not thinking about the good things that can happen.

With the deaths of Russell Bird, and Don Harman (WDAF) five years ago, Bob Richards (KSDK) twelve years ago, there's one person we left out... John Winter of WFLA. Its been nine years since John Winter died of suicide inside his garage at the Lithia home she shared with his wife, Karen. It's hard to cope and talk with personal problems that lead to suicide, but I advise you all who follow TVNT to please, please get the help you need. Don't wait, if you wait its going to be too late.

If you know someone who has a problem dealing with suicide, please contact The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1 (800) 273-8255 or log on to their website at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

TVNT would like to take this time to offer our prayers and condolences to the family of Russell Bird and the staff of KTVZ NewsChannel 21 on this very difficult time.

Here are some news reports and remembrance on the losses of KSDK's Bob Richards, WDAF's Don Harman and WFLA's John Winter.

Please, from one human being to another, get help. I don't want to see anyone take his or her life because "I got nothing to live for."

Guest NewsHound

I CANNOT believe you're using the death of a meteorologist to suicide to turn the tables on you and your issues. That's the lowest of the low things you can do.

I happen to know MANY of us have reached out to you MANY times, letting you know you can always talk to us and we would always be there for you, and YOU have the audacity to act helpless.

YOU HAVE PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT YOU, talk to them! Piggybacking off the story of a suicide trying to get sympathy is pathetic. It's also extremely disrespectful to the families, co-workers, and friends of Mr. Bird.

You have to want to get help. If you choose not to, then that is your prerogative but don't expect people to feel sorry for you for NOT getting help.

I feel sorry for the loss of Mr. Bird, I pray that the family and those close to him find peace and closure.

As for WSVNFan, I hope you take this as a wake up call to finally get help, and if you choose not to then there's nothing we can do.

I CANNOT believe you're using the death of a meteorologist to suicide to turn the tables on you and your issues. That's the lowest of the low things you can do.

I happen to know MANY of us have reached out to you MANY times, letting you know you can always talk to us and we would always be there for you, and YOU have the audacity to act helpless.

YOU HAVE PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT YOU, talk to them! Piggybacking off the story of a suicide trying to get sympathy is pathetic. It's also extremely disrespectful to the families, co-workers, and friends of Mr. Bird.

You have to want to get help. If you choose not to, then that is your prerogative but don't expect people to feel sorry for you for NOT getting help.

I feel sorry for the loss of Mr. Bird, I pray that the family and those close to him find peace and closure.

As for WSVNFan, I hope you take this as a wake up call to finally get help, and if you choose not to then there's nothing we can do.

News Hound there was no need to do this publicly. There's a reason why after suicides in the news they include a suicide hotline number where people may be more likely to share their feelings stories and get help.

Guest NewsHound
News Hound there was no need to do this publicly. There's a reason why after suicides in the news they include a suicide hotline number where people may be more likely to share their feelings stories and get help.

I can't believe you don't find what he did to be the least bit disrespectful. A man has died by committing suicide and WSVNFan sits there and tries to play off everyone's sympathy.

Yes, there are suicide hotlines. TVNT isn't one of those.

I hope he gets the help he needs, but he needs to want to get the help. Seeing as how I've tried helping him before and he refuses to get help, and then tries to come on here and get sympathy from everybody is disgusting as hell.

If you need help, get help. If you want a sounding board to piggyback off the death of someone else by making people feel sorry for you, you're a disgusting human being and you definitely need the help.

First off, before I begin, the story itself is very sad news and I wish the best to Russell's family and friends and to KTVZ during what must be a terribly emotional time.

At times, it takes a story of someone else's struggle for someone to realize that they, too, are struggling. Events — both in the world at large and closer to home, such as in a family — can be a powerful force in making people step back and understand what they are thinking in their own lives.

Quite clearly, what we have here is a case of someone who, after learning of Bird's death, had a very intense emotional reaction because the story struck a chord with him. The discussion in this thread turned to a larger discussion of suicide in the TV news business and it opened a conversation. Emotional events have a tendency to do that.

I've been here at TVNT for a very long time. I've been a member since 2010, and I've lurked since 2002. I've found some of the comments above to be some of the most insensitive I've read on this forum. I'll leave it at that.

Here's some food for thought from WQAD's Eric Sorenson.

Back in 2009, I too had suicidal thoughts and was even hospitalized. But I was fortunate enough to convince myself to get the necessary help and regularly scheduled cognitive therapy sessions... and managed to completely conquer my depression. Live is worth living.

I posted the following on my Facebook page back in late November. It was relevant then, and it's relevant now.

There is no way this can be sugar coated. I wish I could, but it's impossible.

A friend of mine for close to a decade took his own life on Thanksgiving night... I, along with everyone in his circle of friends, found out late yesterday afternoon. He had struggled with his inner demons for such a long time, and was a good and kind man. I hope and pray that he is finally at peace and comfort. Please keep his newborn daughter and those who were really close to him all in your thoughts and prayers.

This time of the year is always a trying time for many. I'm pretty sure that most of us have been susceptible to the holiday blues at one point or another, some worse than others.

True story, somewhat related: I participated in a memorial bicycle ride for the two Akron-area bicyclists who died in September in a terrible vehicular collision, just doing what they loved. Before we left, I introduced myself to the widower of one of the cyclists, who was there along with their 10-month old daughter. It was difficult to say anything through the emotion and pain, but what came out was, "I just wish there was more I... we... can do for you."

"Well... you ARE riding," she replied, a smile cracking through her tears.

Then, you realize that the things you do in life, whether it's the day-to-day minutiae or living out your hobbies and dreams... it gives you purpose and hope for the future.

And we rode on.

I tried to pass by the comments of News Hound by I couldn't let it slide so easily at all.

Let me start by saying, What the hell is wrong with you, News Hound!

Your comments were some of the most Stupidest and Selfish comments I've ever seen written on this page ever! And I'm talking about nearly a decade here for me at least.

So your thought process is in short, "Hey Let me attack this guy, FOR ACTUALLY ASKING FOR HELP!" I.e . The one thing we want someone to do! I don't give a damn if he ask for it once or several times... HE ASKING FOR HELP! We seen in the Russell Bird situation he did ask for help on facebook with his friends. They thought it was career advice. We now know it was something much more darker than that.

Two, it is NOT your damn place to call someone out over something like this. It never was! You don't have that damn right to do it at all! You were totally in the wrong and you refuse to see it! There is some things in life you just have to shut the hell up on! This was one of them! because now it isn't just a couple of people that are looking out on this, it is this WHOLE community is looking for signs now and now we are all aware what is up!

Three, It is MY sympathies, I'll do whatever the hell I want to do with them! If I want to help my fellow colleague, I'm going to help them, Your thoughts or opinions be damned! Again, It NOT your place to tell me how I should or should not feel about something. Overall we did the right thing by leading him to the National Suicide Prevention hotline and we did it bluntly too in that old TVNT way. It was not for just WSVN but for other people who may be reading it and say "Hey i'm in that same place in life let me call that number and get the help I need"

Again for those who missed it it's 1-800-273-8255. Call it because they are professionals at what they do. Unlike you and us!

I'll finish with what I said before in my first post, I don't want another Russell, I don't to be here again in few years while we are saying "What could've been done to stop it? What could they do help it? What signs did they miss?" Those who are grieving in that newsroom are asking those questions right now but instead of "they" they are replacing it with " I " and the truth is "They didn't know what was happening at all." When you don't know you can't help the situation.

Being someone who struggles with severe depression, that comment NewsHound left just got to me - look, it's not WSVN saying "ME ME ME IT'S ALL ABOUT ME". If you look at the numbers, even the National Institute of Mental Health says that an estimated 15.7 million people over 18 struggle with it in the US - that is quite a lot of people. You may or may not know what it's like to feel this way, but it's just about the most horrible thing you can feel.

Again, if you have suicidal thoughts, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1 (800) 273-8255. They're available 24/7 and can help you in your time of need. There's a TON of resources out there, so don't be afraid to look them up!

Archived