CBS O&O changes

C Block

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When are the other CBS O&O's suppose to get the new graphics? I read a post sometime in September? I'm thinking when the fall premieres start???
I've been wondering the same thing, because there are some that still havent gotten the new graphics. And I hope that this time, WJZ gets them as well!

I've been wondering the same thing, because there are some that still havent gotten the new graphics. And I hope that this time, WJZ gets them as well!

I've been wondering if WJZ Doesn't mandate after awhile shouldn't they be dropped as an O&O? I would do it...

I've been wondering if WJZ Doesn't mandate after awhile shouldn't they be dropped as an O&O? I would do it...

From what I've heard WJZ is profitable, a strong competitor in the ratings and they'd be crazy to get rid of it. I was looking at some of their election filings and compared them to other stations and their lowest base rights are the highest in Baltimore. They charge several hundred more than the market leader in many time slots.

From what I've heard WJZ is profitable, a strong competitor in the ratings and they'd be crazy to get rid of it. I was looking at some of their election filings and compared them to other stations and their lowest base rights are the highest in Baltimore. They charge several hundred more than the market leader in many time slots.

Can't we let WJZ be? I mean Chroma Cues is a unique package, and the identity speaks Baltimore....

Can't we let WJZ be? I mean Chroma Cues is a unique package, and the identity speaks Baltimore....

That all good and great, but they only station that still has the same theme is WPVI. I would like many stations to have the same theme package from 20, 30 years ago. However, it time for WJZ to evolve, and stop being complacent. It only a matter of time before they lose their ratings footing. It time for WJZ to move on.

No.
Well in that case, WJZ should mandate with the new graphics, but still keep their branding. And while theyre at it, they should get a new set as well because that set they have is starting to get stale. Its 2016 for gods sake! They should update themselves! Its a damn shame when even CBS 2 Chicago has the current (and are getting the new graphics), while WJZ is still there with its graphics package from a decade ago

First off..is WJZ making money for CBS. Yes! Gobs hand over fist types of money for them.

Are we frustrated by WJZs lack of wanting to change. A lot of us probably are in that boat as well. But its a situation where if the station is making money and very much at a market leader status that they can get away with doing certain things. I mean outside of whom..KDKA and WCCO..CBS as a station group doesn't have a lot of #1s. Not only that, but graphics and music do not cost a television station tons of money. In fact maybe only a small percentage of the stations budget is for graphics and sets and music and WJZ can probably justify them not using standard stuff because of the revenue that they do draw in.

First off..is WJZ making money for CBS. Yes! Gobs hand over fist types of money for them.

Are we frustrated by WJZs lack of wanting to change. A lot of us probably are in that boat as well. But its a situation where if the station is making money and very much at a market leader status that they can get away with doing certain things. I mean outside of whom..KDKA and WCCO..CBS as a station group doesn't have a lot of #1s. Not only that, but graphics and music do not cost a television station tons of money. In fact maybe only a small percentage of the stations budget is for graphics and sets and music and WJZ can probably justify them not using standard stuff because of the revenue that they do draw in.

I'd prolly throw KPIX in there too....

That all good and great, but they only station that still has the same theme is WPVI. I would like many stations to have the same theme package from 20, 30 years ago. However, it time for WJZ to evolve, and stop being complacent. It only a matter of time before they lose their ratings footing. It time for WJZ to move on.

Evolve for the best or for the worst? If best, then it should reflect BMore, if worst, well we saw what happened with the other stations.....

Evolve for the best or for the worst? If best, then it should reflect BMore, if worst, well we saw what happened with the other stations.....

It looks like someone made a PowerPoint and put it on tv with an iPad.

Here's my case:

WJZ_Extended_Forecast-still.jpg

Sure, they can bring in gobs & gobs of money. And yes, they can keep the music & identity for all I care.. But these graphics?? COME ON?! For an O&O to have these hideous graphics is just absurd. They can do better than this.

In fairness to JZ, I see a *hint* of the original group look eye background in there.

WBAL (in my opinion) the best shop in the market; however WBAL, WMAR and WBFF all have gotten on the bandwagon with company mandates music packages, sets etc. I'm no fan of mandates, because I feel a television stations should have it own identity instead of the corporate cookie cutter look. However, there's a few companies who mandates are really nice. CBS has a really nice mandate, and WBAL does challenge WJZ in the ratings, and for WBAL I would say continue the good work. If Scripps could throw some money at WMAR I would invest in some more manpower would be great. With Sinclair, being right in their backyard WBFF does really well.

It all nice and great, but it 2016 almost 2017, and it's time for WJZ to grab it grown man pants and stop worrying about your 1998 graphics and set will drive viewers away to the competition. Your current look should drive viewers away completely. The content of your newscast is what keeps your audience watching along with the different ingredients such as the personalities, the tone of your newscast, etc. The graphics, set, music is all about the station image. WJZ image doesn't look modern, or up to date, and why is that? The justification is laughable, because does any other station think that way too?

WBAL (in my opinion) the best shop in the market; however WBAL, WMAR and WBFF all have gotten on the bandwagon with company mandates music packages, sets etc. I'm no fan of mandates, because I feel a television stations should have it own identity instead of the corporate cookie cutter look. However, there's a few companies who mandates are really nice. CBS has a really nice mandate, and WBAL does challenge WJZ in the ratings, and for WBAL I would say continue the good work. If Scripps could throw some money at WMAR I would invest in some more manpower would be great. With Sinclair, being right in their backyard WBFF does really well.

It all nice and great, but it 2016 almost 2017, and it's time for WJZ to grab it grown man pants and stop worrying about your 1998 graphics and set will drive viewers away to the competition. Your current look should drive viewers away completely. The content of your newscast is what keeps your audience watching along with the different ingredients such as the personalities, the tone of your newscast, etc. The graphics, set, music is all about the station image. WJZ image doesn't look modern, or up to date, and why is that? The justification is laughable, because does any other station think that way too?

I rest my case.

No but they definitely want too be up too date with current century, year look, this isn't 1999 with sticker graphics and quite honestly if you ask people WJZ is the only station with the best timing too capture news moments that's the only reason for their views, WJZ is stuck in a time period no one likes heck, I rather have them have the graphics from 2010 that CBS had. Like the one in the photo I forget the name of that...

IMG_7512.JPG.50bc03497d30af0c6a67cc42e1fb7a45.JPG

You watch WJZ will all of a sudden do the news for a year (if not more) in the news room or a temp set. And when they go back to the original set we will complain that it was WAY technical lo, just sayin'

First they'd need to update the newsroom. The newsroom looks incredibly dated.

No but they definitely want too be up too date with current century, year look, this isn't 1999 with sticker graphics and quite honestly if you ask people WJZ is the only station with the best timing too capture news moments that's the only reason for their views, WJZ is stuck in a time period no one likes heck, I rather have them have the graphics from 2010 that CBS had. Like the one in the photo I forget the name of that...

They've used that OTS design since they went HD in 2009. I'm not sure if th rest of the O&O that used that package had different eyes rotating in the background.

4060624532_5cd8899449_o_d.jpg

Here's my case:

WJZ_Extended_Forecast-still.jpg

Sure, they can bring in gobs & gobs of money. And yes, they can keep the music & identity for all I care.. But these graphics?? COME ON?! For an O&O to have these hideous graphics is just absurd. They can do better than this.

For some reason they never jumped on the WSI graphics train. For ages I believe they used a product from Brainstorm for their weather forecasts (I base this on the fact that for a few days there was a watermark with the brainstorm logo during the forecast saying the version was unlicensed and not for professional output). Now I think they are using Baron products.

Archived