CBS O&O changes

C Block

First they'd need to update the newsroom. The newsroom looks incredibly dated.

They've used that OTS design since they went HD in 2009. I'm not sure if th rest of the O&O that used that package had different eyes rotating in the background.

4060624532_5cd8899449_o_d.jpg

For some reason they never jumped on the WSI graphics train. For ages I believe they used a product from Brainstorm for their weather forecasts (I base this on the fact that for a few days there was a watermark with the brainstorm logo during the forecast saying the version was unlicensed and not for professional output). Now I think they are using Baron products.

So in other words they are broke....

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WJZ has a time/temp bug on screen due to the high heat and humidity. Normally the bug will be placed above the logo but today it's on the right side just below where the logo would be for the new graphics with a blue background. Maybe some changes are a-coming for them? The bug doesn't fit in with their graphics and is partially on top of the chyron obstructing some text.

CBS O&O's aren't hubbed for MC, are they? Just wondering if maybe the time/temp is added on somewhere other than Baltimore.

I heard they were in the early 2000s but they aren't anymore. If they were hubbed the time/temp graphic,style wouldn't match the current package as it has a solid blue background and is below where the bug would be located.

No offense, JZ should stay to being themselves instead of being copycats to longtime sister stations (since '65) now with those O&O GFXes (WBZ, KPIX, KYW, KDKA)

That's all fine & dandy.. They can keep their iconic 13 (heaven forbid if it went to a basic 13 -- Baltimore riots Part 2) and keep their music.. But those graphics HAVE GOT TO GO.. PERIOD. If I were living in Baltimore, they would be the last station I'd watch just based on that alone. Time to get their heads out of their asses and join the 21st century.

First they'd need to update the newsroom. The newsroom looks incredibly dated.

They've used that OTS design since they went HD in 2009. I'm not sure if th rest of the O&O that used that package had different eyes rotating in the background.

4060624532_5cd8899449_o_d.jpg

For some reason they never jumped on the WSI graphics train. For ages I believe they used a product from Brainstorm for their weather forecasts (I base this on the fact that for a few days there was a watermark with the brainstorm logo during the forecast saying the version was unlicensed and not for professional output). Now I think they are using Baron products.

Yes, the newsroom also needs updated.

That's all fine & dandy.. They can keep their iconic 13 (heaven forbid if it went to a basic 13 -- Baltimore riots Part 2) and keep their music.. But those graphics HAVE GOT TO GO.. PERIOD. If I were living in Baltimore, they would be the last station I'd watch just based on that alone. Time to get their heads out of their asses and join the 21st century.

I would say this the stylized "13" that would be the only thing I would keep. I could see it as golden yellow. The music/graphics/set are what I wish they would be apart of the 21st century. The logo I agree with you on, but somebody else said the newsroom needs to be remolded as well too. I wonder if there's a disconnect w/ management & CBS on keeping the station lean, but the station is profitable though.

Just curious, can TV News Stations see this?

Well it is a public forum. I know there are many staffers that post on here anonymously so I wouldn't be suprised if others know. There have been videos that have been posted on Vimeo or YouTube and have been embedded or linked to from here that have quickly been taken down once stations realize they accidentally posted something that wasn't meant to be seen.

If I had to guess this is a site that's not high on the food chain for station management to check out. No offense Weeters.

Well it is a public forum. I know there are many staffers that post on here anonymously so I wouldn't be suprised if others know. There have been videos that have been posted on Vimeo or YouTube and have been embedded or linked to from here that have quickly been taken down once stations realize they accidentally posted something that wasn't meant to be seen.

If I had to guess this is a site that's not high on the food chain for station management to check out. No offense Weeters.

This is weeters website?

I know there are managers lurking, but we're not universally known like some other sites. For what it's worth, TVNT has seen 109 visits from CBS' corporate network in the past week. That could be anything from talent googling themselves to someone in New York sending WJZ's GM a link to this thread saying "They make a good point."

I know there are managers lurking, but we're not universally known like some other sites. For what it's worth, TVNT has seen 109 visits from CBS' corporate network in the past week. That could be anything from talent googling themselves to someone in New York sending WJZ's GM a link to this thread saying "They make a good point."

If only.
Well maybe this should get out there to them: WJZ should get the new graphics and a new set. Both have already served their purpose and now their time has passed. WJZ should still keep chroma cues, but only for morning newscasts, and they should definitely keep their logo and branding

Never would happen :eek: CBS Is too in house for things.
This. And normally I don't say that, but I did because I want to be the activist of TVNT, but few listen.

As a local, let me say that I am fond of WJZ's graphics, set and music. Yes, I agree none of them are up to date, and to an outsider they may seem quite pathetic. WJZ is very cheesy, and by usual standards bad, very bad, however, it makes me, and others feel nostalgic, and it is quintessential Maryland (here come the cheap shots). My grandmother watched WJZ the majority of her life, and my father has as well. When you hear Chroma Cues you immediately think WJZ. When you see that bright ass red and yellow logo, or those flashy, stretched font lower thirds you just know (to quote their long running promos) it's WJZ. In fact, when the WJZ ads come on the jumbotron at Orioles games, I have heard folks in the audience singing the Eyewitness News theme. It's a powerful brand, with instantly recognizable talent.

The set is in remarkably good shape considering it's age, and until classics Marty Bass, Bob Turk and Denise Koch retire I don't think they'll find much incentive in revamping the newscasts in way of a graphical change to align with other O&Os, or a news content change, because quite frankly WJZ is also unique in the way it delivers the news.

As a local, let me say that I am fond of WJZ's graphics, set and music. Yes, I agree none of them are up to date, and to an outsider they may seem quite pathetic. WJZ is very cheesy, and by usual standards bad, very bad, however, it makes me, and others feel nostalgic, and it is quintessential Maryland (here come the cheap shots). My grandmother watched WJZ the majority of her life, and my father has as well. When you hear Chroma Cues you immediately think WJZ. When you see that bright ass red and yellow logo, or those flashy, stretched font lower thirds you just know (to quote their long running promos) it's WJZ. In fact, when the WJZ ads come on the jumbotron at Orioles games, I have heard folks in the audience singing the Eyewitness News theme. It's a powerful brand, with instantly recognizable talent.

The set is in remarkably good shape considering it's age, and until classics Marty Bass, Bob Turk and Denise Koch retire I don't think they'll find much incentive in revamping the newscasts in way of a graphical change to align with other O&Os, or a news content change, because quite frankly WJZ is also unique in the way it delivers the news.

I'm a outsider to TV Hill. I agree 100% with your statement. "There's Only one JZ". I enjoy hearing "Chroma Cues" when I hear it I think of WJZ and also WTVC. As long as KC Robertson is in charge don't look foward to any major changes. Do they need a new set and graphics? Yes, a time will come when they will upgrade. In my own opinion they can update graphics and get a new set. Two things must be kept "13" and Chorma Cues. Until then leave WJZ alone let them do there thing. If I had to tour a TV station WJZ would be one of them. Alright my rant and opinion is over. Now back your regular scheduled day and the following program is already in progress.

Here are a few of the WBBM opens. I don't like the edited theme cut in the evening opens, but the skyline imagery looks fantastic. Notice the old lower third that pops up in the morning video. (Also posted the WBBM thread.)

Morning Update/Rejoin:

5pm Open & Rejoin:

6pm Open:

10pm Open:

Archived