WABC New Graphics

Roadgeek Adam

This is garbage. Seriously. No other way to put it.

If this debut on a Sinclair station in some small market, it would be torn apart and called the worst graphics package ever. But I guess since it's on ~WABC~ some of you will give it a pass...

I fully expect this package will be updated in the next few months.

Amen. Can't believe this (a) was paid for, and (b) made it to air in the NYC market.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why, but this just feels so damn chintzy for New York City. It looks more like a bad news mock done in PowerPoint or graphics for a station in Binghamton, NY than the #1 station in NYC metro.

I think there are certain elements that are good, like the top stories L3s right after the opens, the weather graphics except the 7 day, the full screen "new at noon, etc" animations, but the regular L3s, the bug, the opens all need refinement. I think the problem is that they really took the flat design to an extreme- there isn't depth to this package.

I think there are certain elements that are good, like the top stories L3s right after the opens, the weather graphics except the 7 day, the full screen "new at noon, etc" animations, but the regular L3s, the bug, the opens all need refinement. I think the problem is that they really took the flat design to an extreme- there isn't depth to this package.

Absolutely. The white L3s look really sharp, and I'm warming up the font. The full screens and transitions are more than adaquate, too. The opens need some work, but they don't need to be top priority...except for the 'NEWS YORK'. The lower thirds, in general need to be blown up. Something closer to KABC's or even straight up stealing KTRK's would be an improvement. Down the line, though, this new package gives me a very uneasy feeling when it comes time for WPVI's makeover. God knows they need to dump what they have, but I have a feeling they'd blow it like abc7NY (gag me) did.

This is awful. Cheap ripoff of KTRK. Most of the in-show elements look like they were designed in paint. I think I know who designed this too and I really wish people would stop giving them work... they are cheapening the broadcast design industry with garbage like this.

Please share! Who do you believe designed this monstrosity?

I liked the old package better. What they should have done is updated that package while still keeping the general look of it. These are okay, but not that great.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to jump on the hater bandwagon here. The blues are far too blue, the font choices are uninspired, bland, and cheap-looking (even with the historical nod), and the 100% flat animation with no shading at all makes it look like something out of PowerPoint.

Overall, a D- for at least updating the weather icons. Otherwise, this is a massive step down for them.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FleegoldbergABC7%2Fposts%2F504623206390891&width=500" width="500" height="645" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

At least they're listening to feedback...but those clip art Seven Day graphics need to go...

I'm shocked at how bad this is, honestly. These graphics look like they were made in PowerPoint. Especially the weather graphics -- the black lines, the clip-art icons, the Arial font -- totally looks like trash. This would pass for a high school TV studio or maybe event a small sized network, but this is not the quality befitting the number one station in the nation.
Then why doesn't anybody try to make it on PowerPoint?

Sorry, but I'm going to have to jump on the hater bandwagon here. The blues are far too blue, the font choices are uninspired, bland, and cheap-looking (even with the historical nod), and the 100% flat animation with no shading at all makes it look like something out of PowerPoint.

Overall, a D- for at least updating the weather icons. Otherwise, this is a massive step down for them.

I have to agree that the graphics worse than the previous ones they used. In fact, even Nexstar's and Sinclair's graphics (which are both decent, but still pale in comparison to other station groups) are better than that!

Please share! Who do you believe designed this monstrosity?

Rey Rodriguez, former Giant Octopus guy. Supposedly he's been doing work for MediaGeneral. This look definitely has elements of the new stuff that popped up on WFLA.

There's no way this package makes it to the November book.

Then why doesn't anybody try to make it on PowerPoint?

I did, and then rebuilt it on the same dimensions and proportions, using the same font and color scheme. I might post it later, if anyone cares to see.

I know I'm seeing at least 3 if not 4 fonts: Helvetica, Arial, Gotham, (and if correct Akidenz-Grotesque). [Not counting the classic "EYEWITNESS NEWS" or the abc].

Pick one, please - definitely not Arial. I personally prefer Helvetica over ( the IMHO overused) Gotham. A-G would be good (underrated, IMHO), but you have to be consistent!!!

J

Is that what Morning Traffic thinks? I've seen way better work from RenderOn for WABC, so I doubt that's who made it.

I gave my 2 cents... If you don't like it then send said poster a private message. It's not real polite to get on somebody for answering your question just because they weren't who you were addressing it to...

I gave my 2 cents... If you don't like it then send said poster a private message. It's not real polite to get on somebody for answering your question just because they weren't who you were addressing it to...

I was mostly trying to see if there was consensus or individual perspective there. I didn't know if you were speaking for Morning Traffic or not. I was not trying to get up in your grill. I did quote Morning Traffic, so one should have surmised, theoretically, that they were who I was asking.

Archived