WABC New Graphics

Roadgeek Adam

Slightly Off-Topic: This is the redo of the graphics I made. I won't post them all here, but I essentially redesigned some elements, adding more gradients and some depth while maintaining the flat motif and color scheme. I also settled on a single font. It's not perfect and it needs some touch-ups, but I threw it together in a few hours, and I can't say it's worse than what they debuted.

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?media/albums/wabc-graphics-demo.79/

[GALLERY=media, 822]anchor id (blue) by 24994J posted May 6, 2016 at 12:06 AM[/GALLERY]

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I said I (generally) liked the graphics, I'll say this mock is way better.

I could just stare at that time/temp bug for hours than look at the real thing for a millisecond. It looks 100% in a better place over the C7 logo.

Slightly Off-Topic: This is the redo of the graphics I made. I won't post them all here, but I essentially redesigned some elements, adding more gradients and some depth while maintaining the flat motif and color scheme. I also settled on a single font. It's not perfect and it needs some touch-ups, but I threw it together in a few hours, and I can't say it's worse than what they debuted.

[GALLERY=media, 822]anchor id (blue) by 24994J posted May 6, 2016 at 12:06 AM[/GALLERY]

Your time/temp tabs at the top and bottom of the bug look like WLS's... I like.

Sad part is that it looks much better than WABC's budget-of-a-ham-sandwich graphics.

I hate it. I can't believe WABC actually paid people to do this. I honestly thought this was some April Fools' joke posted a month too late, but no, it's real.

This is barely acceptable for a high school or college newscast, but no, this is a network-owned O&O in the largest media market in the United States. Unbelievable.

I've waited to comment on this thread but after all the backlash from this new graphics package is something. Yes, its not the best thing out but I've seen far worse. First of all, WABC graphics never, ever wowed me so I don't understand why people are so upset. Everyone keeps saying, that this is unacceptable for a number one market. You have to know that bigger markets are being cheap and not necessarily hiring the best of the best anymore. All this package need are some tweaks to be more in line with Houston's KTRK. There previous package I hated so to me this better/more current than what they had. I think we were expecting something fabulous and been let down, not just by WABC, but from others also ( WCBS, KNTV, WSB etc.) but we all need to chill a bit. I know we are so passionate about these things but these graphics are something that more than likely will be change in the near future. If not you could either watch or turn the channel.

Disclaimer: This post isn't meant to upset or discourage anyone for voicing their opinions or disappointments but rather just something to think about when we post something (including myself). I've too can go off on the deep in when I'm displeased with something but I'm trying to monitor myself from "overreacting."

I going to reserve my opinion until after the weekend just so I see how the weekend team runs them.

I just hope they show the right weather seals for Amy and Jeff because WABC only shows the "ams" seal for all the meteorologists even though Amy and Jeff are "AMS Certified" meteorologists; only Lee and Bill have the regular "ams" seal.

After catching up on this thread I'm going to reiterate what I said to have a forum member improve the graphics by 10-fold says a lot about the resentment we all have about these graphics. It's like they took a major step back. While there are some elements that are nice about the new look it looks like something that anyone could've easily put together using power point and after effects. Hell, they should've taken KABC's look and change the colors, that would've been a much better plan for them. But I agree with Weeters, these graphics basically suck and are abysmal end of story. I mean honestly, what the hell were they thinking? Did they not have better options to pick from? It's really astonishing how they managed to pick such horrible graphics! Total failure. There are some nice elements, but the overall look and font drowns it. It's hard. I'm trying to be happy with it, but nothing really impresses me about them. It's just too boring and uninviting and just bland. Too simple.

The circle 7 bug is a joke. I mean really? A blue square? Ugh and that abc7NY is gross. They should've got help from WLS who does it right. A 5 year old couldve done a better job lol. One of us used power point to improve it and that goes a long way. It actually messes up the presentation quality because of how much of the video that it is blocking.

And the fonts are just lousy. They are not proportional. They could've at least done some sort of 3D shadowing to kinda improve the look. Or at least pick a better font. It's amazing how they virtually have "no attention to detail" at all when it comes to graphic design and it's really sad to see this from this station. At first it looked nice but I'm actually now a bit disappointed.

The music doesn't work anymore the cuts if you notice don't flow well with the package it's as if they went the extra mile to edit the old music to match the flow of the openers and clearly they failed at that too. Does anyone have any insight as to why they can't "let go" of this news music package and update it?

Overall my final thoughts, after trying to warm up to it, haven't really warmed up to them at all and I don't think I can ever warm up to this new look. And knowing WABC these are here to stay. As I've said before, maybe 2020 is probably gonna be the year for them.

Now I know obviously I'm not the only watcher of ABC 7. There are 8 million+ viewers that could care less about this topic and they just want the news lol but thats my humble opinion from a viewer that's been an astute viewer of WABC for all of his life.

Above is a 4PM broadcast from KTRK-TV in Houston with a graphics package similar to these new WABC ones. Still way better than WABC. Anyone else agree?

After catching up on this thread I'm going to reiterate what I said to have a forum member improve the graphics by 10-fold says a lot about the resentment we all have about these graphics. It's like they took a major step back. While there are some elements that are nice about the new look it looks like something that anyone could've easily put together using power point and after effects. Hell, they should've taken KABC's look and change the colors, that would've been a much better plan for them. But I agree with Weeters, these graphics basically suck and are abysmal end of story. I mean honestly, what the hell were they thinking? Did they not have better options to pick from? It's really astonishing how they managed to pick such horrible graphics! Total failure. There are some nice elements, but the overall look and font drowns it. It's hard. I'm trying to be happy with it, but nothing really impresses me about them. It's just too boring and uninviting and just bland. Too simple.

The circle 7 bug is a joke. I mean really? A blue square? Ugh and that abc7NY is gross. They should've got help from WLS who does it right. A 5 year old couldve done a better job lol. One of us used power point to improve it and that goes a long way. It actually messes up the presentation quality because of how much of the video that it is blocking.

And the fonts are just lousy. They are not proportional. They could've at least done some sort of 3D shadowing to kinda improve the look. Or at least pick a better font. It's amazing how they virtually have "no attention to detail" at all when it comes to graphic design and it's really sad to see this from this station. At first it looked nice but I'm actually now a bit disappointed.

The music doesn't work anymore the cuts if you notice don't flow well with the package it's as if they went the extra mile to edit the old music to match the flow of the openers and clearly they failed at that too. Does anyone have any insight as to why they can't "let go" of this news music package and update it?

Overall my final thoughts, after trying to warm up to it, haven't really warmed up to them at all and I don't think I can ever warm up to this new look. And knowing WABC these are here to stay. As I've said before, maybe 2020 is probably gonna be the year for them.

Now I know obviously I'm not the only watcher of ABC 7. There are 8 million+ viewers that could care less about this topic and they just want the news lol but thats my humble opinion from a viewer that's been an astute viewer of WABC for all of his life.

In 2020 they're going to use the same graphics ABC 20/20 has.

It lacks any of the detail that was given to the WLS package. The bug is poorly designed and the 7-Day looks flat. This is reminiscent of the former Raycom graphics white simplicity:

[MEDIA=vimeo]87894231[/MEDIA]

...what the hell was that? lol.

Regarding WABC, it's not that as as some of you may be trying to make it out to be, but it's certainly not that great either as others are saying. It's a fine package, but maybe not for a market the size of NYC? Who knows. We probably have too high and unrealistic standards of what high-ranking markets "should" have as graphics packages compared to what low-ranking markets "should" have.

Some elements of it do suck, like the time/temp bug and the live bug (which is gargantuan huge if i must say so myself), however other elements I find to be quite nice, like all of their opens and talent rejoins. The 7 day made a MASSIVE improvement. Why they felt the need to scrunch up days 6 and 7 like they did on the old package is still beyond my scope of comprehension; it's not like they were gonna be pressed for space, they just did it poorly. The L3's aren't too terrible, but are fairly plain, yes. I also believe that there is way too much BLUE going on. It's sort of overwhelming. While blue is the best for TV, too much of it hurts.

I'd be willing to give it a B- or C+ for a grade. It's fine, yet certain aspects of it just feel unfinished.

Weekend 6pm Open. They fixed "News York's", but Charlie Van Dyke doesn't say "at 6"...really feel like WABC rushed these graphics.

Not surprised to see Rob anchor the news. He did 5:30pm news + 6:00 and 11:00pm sports at WTVG, now does sports here and is a great early audition clip for him because he may now do solely news at WEWS. We'll see how this goes for him.

Weekend 6pm Open. They fixed "News York's", but Charlie Van Dyke doesn't say "at 6"...really feel like WABC rushed these graphics.

It's the wrong open! The vo says 'Eyewitness News at 5' but the graphics and clock show that it's actually 6:00. More sloppiness.

It's the wrong open! The vo says 'Eyewitness News at 5' but the graphics and clock show that it's actually 6:00. More sloppiness.

They just grabbed the wrong open... Somebody pulled the wrong file from the computer... Probably was in a rush...

They have 5pm news on weekends. It's just the wrong file played like the previous poster said.

I hate it. I can't believe WABC actually paid people to do this. I honestly thought this was some April Fools' joke posted a month too late, but no, it's real.

This is barely acceptable for a high school or college newscast, but no, this is a network-owned O&O in the largest media market in the United States. Unbelievable.

And that market (New York) serves the entire state and NJ (and to a lesser extent Connecticut) with it!

Above is a 4PM broadcast from KTRK-TV in Houston with a graphics package similar to these new WABC ones. Still way better than WABC. Anyone else agree?

Yep

In 2020 they're going to use the same graphics ABC 20/20 has.
I'd like to see that alongside a new year's day 2020 special on 20/20

If those issues hamper viewership and quality, I don't think WABC will be the state of New York's #1 news for much longer.

And that market (New York) serves the entire state and NJ (and to a lesser extent Connecticut) with it!

Yep

I'd like to see that alongside a new year's day 2020 special on 20/20

If those issues hamper viewership and quality, I don't think WABC will be the state of New York's #1 news for much longer.

But they can be News York's number one news!

Archived