KABC/ ABC 7

Breaking News

I think it might be more to take ratings away from KTLA. Their 3pm news does pretty well and their anchor team is solid. KNBC will have a hard time re-entering the 4pm news race. They axed their 4pm news in the early 00s. Chuck Henry and Kelly Lange co-anchored it. I thought they had a better product than KABC. I think the LA market is severely oversaturated with local news these days so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think it might be more to take ratings away from KTLA. Their 3pm news does pretty well and their anchor team is solid. KNBC will have a hard time re-entering the 4pm news race. They axed their 4pm news in the early 00s. Chuck Henry and Kelly Lange co-anchored it. I thought they had a better product than KABC. I think the LA market is severely oversaturated with local news these days so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

That's right. How about nonstop local news from 4-10:30am, 11am-2pm and 3-11:35pm weekdays plus 5-10am Saturdays, 5-10am Sundays and 4pm-12am weekends? Yep. That's LA all right. Not even NYC has this much.

Sort of unrelated, but I'm surprised someone (in all likelihood KTLA) hasn't extended to midnight or even til 12:30am. I guess it might only be a matter of time.

That's right. How about nonstop local news from 4-10:30am, 11am-2pm and 3-11:35pm weekdays plus 5-10am Saturdays, 5-10am Sundays and 4pm-12am weekends? Yep. That's LA all right. Not even NYC has this much.

Los Angeles market stations have always had news-intensive schedules when compared to New York. This latest buildup really isn't that all different from the way it's been since the 1970s. KABC/KCBS/KNBC all had 4:00pm newscasts beginning the late 1970s/1980s; only starting to cancel them (except KABC) in favor of talk programming in the early 2000s.

Daytime talk ratings are in the toilet these days, so it only makes financial sense to start replacing them with more news that's arguably cheaper to produce and yield better numbers.

Guest Former Member 207
Los Angeles market stations have always had news-intensive schedules when compared to New York. This latest buildup really isn't that all different from the way it's been since the 1970s. KABC/KCBS/KNBC all had 4:00pm newscasts beginning the late 1970s/1980s; only starting to cancel them (except KABC) in favor of talk programming in the early 2000s.

Daytime talk ratings are in the toilet these days, so it only makes financial sense to start replacing them with more news that's arguably cheaper to produce and yield better numbers.

Yeah...KCBS alone had at least a few start-and-stops when it came to the 4pm news (at least two attempts in the 80s, another during the "Action News" era, and once more with the "Women 2 Women" news that was a massive failure). KABC doing a 3pm newscast wouldn't be so strange, considering that they're already the most news-intensive among the local network O&Os. It's either that or another season of "Daytime Millionaire" and "Daytime Jeopardy!".

Aw, man.

If I lived in LA (as big as a news geek as I am), I'd keep a schedule of which station I'd watch at any given time. Because it's clear the schedules are almost nothing BUT news. And with the many car chases across the market area, it's just understandable, but absurd.

I know LA is a huge market, but having news from 3pm until 6:30pm seems like overkill to me.

There is so much news in L.A. that sometimes the news just cannot wait...and it just breaks itself.

"Pop- Bam"

Just like that!

Self breaking news.

Sort of unrelated, but I'm surprised someone (in all likelihood KTLA) hasn't extended to midnight or even til 12:30am. I guess it might only be a matter of time.
If we really want to go back in time (1976), there was Metro News, Metro News at 11:30 pm right after Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman on then Metromedia owned KTTV. https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/30635065/

With Chuck Ashman...and Bill Smith (later at KTLA). It was a hilarious local satirical newscast.

KABC Saturday and Sunday newscasts air from 11 pm to 12 midnight. Have for a few years.

KNBC Sunday news airs from 11 to 12 midnight, also.

Channel 7 already have a 2 1/2 early evening broadcast every night. Adding an extra hour of news is just outrageous.

No station should be inundated with these endless hours of news. That just too much. That's a weird way to program your TV station as a whole. You're leaving very few programming options to non-news viewers.

Is Channel 7 worried that KNBC could finally beat them at 4pm, that's why they're thinking about going into the 3pm hour?

Channel 7 already have a 2 1/2 early evening broadcast every night. Adding an extra hour of news is just outrageous.

No station should be inundated with these endless hours of news. That just too much. That's a weird way to program your TV station as a whole. You're leaving very few programming options to non-news viewers.

Is Channel 7 worried that KNBC could finally beat them at 4pm, that's why they're thinking about going into the 3pm hour?

I have over 100 over-the-air channels, including sub channels, in my area of Los Angeles. I've already got plenty of choices of everything from old shows to multiple PBS stations to ethnic broadcasters. KCAL has 3 hours of news from 8 to 11 pm, KTLA 6 hours from 4 to 10 am (or from 4:30 to 7 am where 5 local stations air news). I don't see the big deal of a station having a 3 1/2 hour newscast in the afternoon. There's plenty of breaking news at that hour in an area with 17 million people.

• 2 weeks later...

The only one out the stations you mentioned to do a 3 pm newscast is KGO. The other stations would be a bit of a stretch. Let's not get ahead of ourselves with name anchor teams and stuff for something that won't happen LA market is different than others

I know that Jonathan Novack, weatherman for the KDOC newscast has others media roles (or something) outside of KABC, but you gotta wonder why they'd use Danny Romero for the 3 o'clock news.

They could've at least place John Gregory to the 3pm (and the 7pm on 56 instead of David) in lieu of having Ellen sitting on the anchor chair for two straight hours.

But like I said, this is just absurd for them to "take the easy way out" and add yet ANOTHER hour of news, instead of putting something else on. It's just plain pitiful. And for a station like KABC, they're not that desperate for political money.

I'm surprised the ABC O&Os haven't played the 4am game yet.

They could've at least place John Gregory to the 3pm (and the 7pm on 56 instead of David) in lieu of having Ellen sitting on the anchor chair for two straight hours.

But like I said, this is just absurd for them to "take the easy way out" and add yet ANOTHER hour of news, instead of putting something else on. It's just plain pitiful. And for a station like KABC, they're not that desperate for political money.

I'm surprised the ABC O&Os haven't played the 4am game yet.

I think they would like to avoid moving a weekend anchor to weekdays especially if this newscast is a one year deal.

If it turns out to be long term, then they can reshuffle the current weeknight anchors (4/5/6/11 used to actually be like this):

3pm: Coleen Sullivan & Ellen Leyva

4pm: Marc Brown & Michelle Tuzee

5pm: David Ono & Ellen Leyva

6pm: Marc Brown & Michelle Tuzee

7pm: David Ono & Coleen Sullivan

11pm: Marc Brown & Michelle Tuzee

But I also agree that this is overkill and hope it doesn't last.

Aw, man.

If I lived in LA (as big as a news geek as I am), I'd keep a schedule of which station I'd watch at any given time. Because it's clear the schedules are almost nothing BUT news. And with the many car chases across the market area, it's just understandable, but absurd.

It isn't and there is car chase almost everyday to get eyes glued to the screen (including me).
In that case, would anyone join in on the bandwagon of speeding drivers in LA just so you can be on Fox News? Because many Fox News viewers would love a good car chase at a rather absurd rate

Archived