May 2016 Sweeps

anchorman

I think WCBS just chose the

wrong time to change the logo and graphics. It's gonna take a little bit before they gain viewers again.

People do not stop watching newscasts because they slightly changed what the "2" in a logo.

Then why did they lose viewers?

They had one sweeps win in February. Sure, they are an improving newscast. But it can be chalked up to a fluke.

Then why did they lose viewers?

Who said they lost viewers? Maybe 7 gained viewers. It could be a variety of things such as their leadins. I just highly doubt that a logo change causes more than 10 people to change channels. And honestly, if those 10 people are changing channels because of the logo change, then they got bigger issues.

Are any of the ABC O&O stations losing viewers or almost falling from 1st?

WLS has been losing in the demo at 10 for a few years, but is still number one in total viewers in all pm newscasts. The viewer loss has generally stopped.

Who said they lost viewers? Maybe 7 gained viewers. It could be a variety of things such as their leadins. I just highly doubt that a logo change causes more than 10 people to change channels. And honestly, if those 10 people are changing channels because of the logo change, then they got bigger issues.

The suits think logos and graphics do affect viewership. Otherwise they would not spend thousands of dollars on new logo's and graphic packages.

If you think it's stupid then join the rest of us folks that think logo's don't matter....but we are the stupid ones because while we were bitching about it...some idiot made a few thousand dollars off that circle 7 logo redo.

The suits think logos and graphics do affect viewership. Otherwise they would not spend thousands of dollars on new logo's and graphic packages.

If you think it's stupid then join the rest of us folks that think logo's don't matter....but we are the stupid ones because while we were bitching about it...some idiot made a few thousand dollars off that circle 7 logo redo.

Then why do we all comment on Sinclair's graphics or how cheap many of Nexstar's logos look?

Then why do we all comment on Sinclair's graphics or how cheap many of Nexstar's logos look?

Because that's what WE do. We're probably not the best barometer to gauge general public reaction.

I was hoping WABC would fall down in the ratings actually so they could redo their graphics lol. Which goes to show how graphics really don't have a say in the viewership especially when taking the majority of viewers into consideration who could careless about graphics lol. Viewers care about the presentation and talent and apparently WABC wins with their presentation and their talent's personalities.

The "average" viewer does not care anything about a logo change or updates to a graphics package. If a viewer completely stops watching a station because of that, the that station has bigger issues. WE are the only ones that critique graphics and care enough to actually talk about them.

Because that's what WE do. We're probably not the best barometer to gauge general public reaction.

Keep in mind we are not the same type of viewer as John Q. Public. We view these newscasts with a critical eye for things that the average viewer would likely never notice like WABC's "News York" screw up. It's because we like the style of presentation, have seen what looks best and have a trained eye more or less. Chances are the average viewer wants to watch a newscast that have a nice presentation style and not some complete eyesore. So what they see in their market may be their gauge at what's good in television design as most likely never look at other stations across the country as to what may be considered the best or cutting edge in our eyes.

Do I kind of make sense?

Still no word on Baltimore. I imagine the only releases we'll see from will be from WBAL who will be touting that their number 1 in the demo, viewers or both and that their noon news is making gains. Likely they'll come out I'm a week - either in a press release or promo.

Interesting... "World News Tonight with David Muir" leads its closest network news competitor by +90% among DMA Households while showing year-to-year growth, and also attracts more Adult 25-54 viewers than both of its competitors combined."

Archived