May 2016 sweeps and ratings

GoldenShine9

Houston's ABC 13 (KTRK) claiming victory in the May 2016 ratings.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2016/05/ktrk-abc13-sweeps-may-2016-sweeps.html

ABC 13's spin on the morning numbers makes me a little dizzy.

We're #1 at 5am! (...With women, and that's the only comparison we're going to show)

Were #1 at 530am! (as long as you exclude Fox 26 completely)

We're #1 7-9am! (You say there's a tv station broadcasting local news in the same time slot? And they beat us? Never heard of them.)

McGuff, by the way, also has Fox 26's press release on their numbers.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also we need to know what WIAT is pulling in pre-Nexstar.

I didn't think that the Nexstar deal had officially closed yet? At any rate, I would like to know how 42 is doing since they dropped their CBS 42 branding for WIAT 42 News or News 42 or what ever it is now. Seems they made quite a few changes after they got a new GM about 18 months back.

Whatever Media General touches in Birmingham....turns into dirt. Their tanking of WVTM worked wonders for their former station, and by the time Media General got them back and sent WVTM to Hearst... The 42 WIAT branding disaster and Hearst actually caring about WVTM sent them back to the basement...

Nexstar might actually be an improvement because slapping a "local" in there may actually help...

[quote name='bobvick']I would like to know how 42 is doing since they dropped their CBS 42 branding for WIAT 42 News or News 42 or what ever it is now. Seems they made quite a few changes after they got a new GM about 18 months back.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE="tyrannical bastard, post: 158173, member: 201"]Whatever Media General touches in Birmingham....turns into dirt. Their tanking of WVTM worked wonders for their former station, and by the time Media General got them back and sent WVTM to Hearst... The 42 WIAT branding disaster and Hearst actually caring about WVTM sent them back to the basement... Nexstar might actually be an improvement because slapping a "local" in there may actually help...[/QUOTE] Yes @bobvick, that GM who blew in, fired the marketing director and then proceeded to make all of those branding blunders.... well let's just say they have long been "let go"... ummmm "reassigned" errr "promoted to corporate"... Pretty sure with the Nexstar purchase the reassignment will end at the unemployment line. Sadly, as @tyrannical bastard eluded to, WIAT was winning some timeslots and nicely competitive in others before the nutty changes began.

I wouldn't say they're closing in on Ch. 4 in other slots. They're still getting killed mornings at noon and at five.

..which I feel is why they are moving Snell and Parker to mornings and some of the other changes.

Whatever Media General touches in Birmingham....turns into dirt. Their tanking of WVTM worked wonders for their former station, and by the time Media General got them back and sent WVTM to Hearst... The 42 WIAT branding disaster and Hearst actually caring about WVTM sent them back to the basement...

Nexstar might actually be an improvement because slapping a "local" in there may actually help...

It makes me wonder - has WVTM actually climbed back to #2? I am sure they are all a long way from WBRC, but that alone would be a big comeback for a station left for dead.

It makes me wonder - has WVTM actually climbed back to #2? I am sure they are all a long way from WBRC, but that alone would be a big comeback for a station left for dead.

I think they were dead last under M.G. and I think second now under Hearst. Yes, WIAT is become crap again and I think even WBMA+ has fallen under Sinclair, despite some of their long-time talent: Ladun, Baird, Spann, Raita, Huff, Mays, etc. Despite that, they're still fallen.

In other words, you can't beat WBRC. They're the golden news powerhouse of Central Alabama. I wouldn't be surprised if WBRC is the highest-rated news station in ALL of Alabama.

When it comes to market dominance....WSFA in Montgomery and WTVY in Dothan are likely more dominant in their respective markets. Statewide, WSFA may have a slight edge given it's central location and flagship status within Raycom and their Alabama News Network.

WBRC is also within Raycom and their Alabama News Network so who's #1 in the state? Hard to tell. I don't think WAFF comes close to either two but if I were to pick which one, I'd say WBRC.

WBRC is also within Raycom and their Alabama News Network so who's #1 in the state? Hard to tell. I don't think WAFF comes close to either two but if I were to pick which one, I'd say WBRC.

WSFA always a winner and with Montgomery, being a small market and has always garner a 40 share. Huntsville & Birmingham is different because there more competition vs. Montgomery where WSFA has been king and WAKA been runner up and WNCF always in the rear.

WSOC is back on top at 6pm, and nearly tied with WBTV at 6am. WSOC was also #1 25-54, followed by WCNC then WBTV. WCNC is doing better at 6pm and 11pm overall and in money demo with new anchor team. WAXN is #1 at 10pm overall, with WCCB #1 in 25-54.

6 AM

WBTV 61,800 +30%

WSOC 60,700 -18%

WCNC 23,450 +12%

WCCB 5,900 -51%

WJZY 1,500 +41%

NOON

WBTV 60,100 +2%

WSOC 56,850 -18%

WCNC 16,700 +53%

6 PM

WSOC 92,100 -19%

WBTV 86,600 +14%

WCNC 45,800 +29%

WJZY 4,200 +40%

NATIONAL NEWSCASTS

ABC 106,500 -13%

CBS 84,800 0

NBC 65,000 +11%

10 PM

WAXN 36,500 -3%

WCCB 16,000 -27%

WJZY 15,400 +38%

11 PM

WBTV 70,000 -5%

WSOC 61,600 -28%

WCNC 42,200 +24%

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/tv/media-scene-blog/article81409907.html#storylink=cpy

Speaking of recent acquisitions, in Savannah, has WJCL managed to make headway on WSAV? (I know WTOC is still very dominant in that market, but I wonder if WJCL can actually jump into 2nd, especially after Nexstar takes over WSAV?)

WSOC is back on top at 6pm, and nearly tied with WBTV at 6am. WSOC was also #1 25-54, followed by WCNC then WBTV. WCNC is doing better at 6pm and 11pm overall and in money demo with new anchor team. WAXN is #1 at 10pm overall, with WCCB #1 in 25-54.

6 AM

WBTV 61,800 +30%

WSOC 60,700 -18%

WCNC 23,450 +12%

WCCB 5,900 -51%

WJZY 1,500 +41%

NOON

WBTV 60,100 +2%

WSOC 56,850 -18%

WCNC 16,700 +53%

6 PM

WSOC 92,100 -19%

WBTV 86,600 +14%

WCNC 45,800 +29%

WJZY 4,200 +40%

NATIONAL NEWSCASTS

ABC 106,500 -13%

CBS 84,800 0

NBC 65,000 +11%

10 PM

WAXN 36,500 -3%

WCCB 16,000 -27%

WJZY 15,400 +38%

11 PM

WBTV 70,000 -5%

WSOC 61,600 -28%

WCNC 42,200 +24%

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/tv/media-scene-blog/article81409907.html#storylink=cpy

WCNC has been advertising the shit out of the Fred Shropshire and Beth Troutman team (as well as Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy). Everywhere you go around town, billboards and bus signs for them.

Here in Atlanta...

CjZ9hPnUYAAEpp2.jpg

WXIA also experienced a 23% decrease from last year, but WGCL took the biggest hit of them all: down 43%!!!!

In addition, Fox 5 also reigned at 5:00; all others of course belonged to WSB.

Primetime? Among 18-49s, I'm going to have to give the advantage to Fox 5 as well, followed by 11Alive and WSB (The Voice had more younger viewers than Dancing With The Stars on Mondays). Overall? I'll say WGCL (even if it did jack squat for their news numbers) and WAGA in a virtual tie, as ABC will finish fourth nationally.

By the time November sweeps roll around, Stephany Fisher will have made herself at home at Fox 5.

You are also seeing some serious viewer erosion at work here, and in most other markets.

Compounded, that should really spook some broadcasters who have ruled supreme over the last few decades.

In Buffalo, WIVB significantly narrows the ratings gap with WGRZ while WKBW made gains in all time slots...

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2016/05/26/ch-4-narrows-ratings-gap-ch-2-may-sweeps-ch-7-makes-gains/

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2016/05/28/departures-channel-4-veterans-didnt-affect-sweeps-numbers/

...in Orlando, WFTV is still #1 in Central Florida. WOFL is still the winner at 10pm. WKMG made gains as well...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-may-ratings-wftv-wins-wkmg-gains-20160526-story.html

...and in Denver, KUSA is STILL #1 in Colorado continuing a four-decade winning streak. KCNC is solidly at #2.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/05/26/may-2016-sweeps-kusa-dominant-kcnc-no-2-kdvr-on-a-roll-at-10-p-m/

Here's the strange thing about Columbus they haven't printed ratings in a while from what I've found since August 2015. So I had to wait and talk to some decent sources before saying anything where I feel good about what I'm writing but afterwards I'm confident in what I'm about to write.

These are overall and I wasn't able to put numbers to it. I'll keep working on that front.

1st WBNS

2nd WSYX

3rd and still keeping the spot as my avatar, WCMH.

Also, WTTE keeps it title as most watched FOX 10pm newscast in the nation. That is some they will promo once in a blue moon outside of news.

Overall, Nexstar is heading into a BAD situation with WCMH as they are currently setup at the moment.

Also, WTTE keeps it title as most watched FOX 10pm newscast in the nation. That is some they will promo once in a blue moon outside of news.

Really?! Wow. That surprises me. I wonder what the numbers are on that front.

What the heck happened to WFAA? I thought 8 and KTVT were always the top two!

TEGNA happened.
CBS also happened at the same time with them stepping up their game. But yeah, Tegnitis struck a lot of their stations. Same goes with Atlanta, ironic considering that 11Alive is TEGNA's flagship and cash cow (or maybe not so ironic)

You are also seeing some serious viewer erosion at work here, and in most other markets.

Compounded, that should really spook some broadcasters who have ruled supreme over the last few decades.

Then again, it might not be so ironic considering the reasons why viewer erosion is happening. Cable having only bundles even when you don't watch most of the channels included in said bundles, the M&A craze that not even we could curb (And I'm not going to start that specific subject again because of how it went last time), but the absolute most important reason of all is because of live streaming on the internet (Super Bowl 51 will be the first super bowl that I'll stream live and netflix is on its way to becoming a global network for example)

Here's the strange thing about Columbus they haven't printed ratings in a while from what I've found since August 2015. So I had to wait and talk to some decent sources before saying anything where I feel good about what I'm writing but afterwards I'm confident in what I'm about to write.

These are overall and I wasn't able to put numbers to it. I'll keep working on that front.

1st WBNS

2nd WSYX

3rd and still keeping the spot as my avatar, WCMH.

Overall, Nexstar is heading into a BAD situation with WCMH as they are currently setup at the moment.

The last numbers I saw were about 2013ish-14 and WBNS was still on top but 4 & 6 were trading spots back to back. I was so shocked to see WSYX 11pm news beat WCMH and that hasn't happened since late 70s early 80s. I'm surprised that WTTE's 10PM news is the most watched FOX 10PM in the nation vs. Atlanta, D.C, and Detroit. I know some of those markets having been saying they had the most watched 10PM in nation for awhile.

The last numbers I saw were about 2013ish-14 and WBNS was still on top but 4 & 6 were trading spots back to back. I was so shocked to see WSYX 11pm news beat WCMH and that hasn't happened since late 70s early 80s. I'm surprised that WTTE's 10PM news is the most watched FOX 10PM in the nation vs. Atlanta, D.C, and Detroit. I know some of those markets having been saying they had the most watched 10PM in nation for awhile.

At least with Detroit WJBK's has been dropping for a year or so now...

Archived