2016 NFL Season

Viper550

So this time around, I thought we'd actually do the entire season, including our annual pre-season roundup of kitschy and/or botched up local preseason broadcasts, in one thread to keep things organized.

And speaking of that,

Patriots, Panthers, Falcons, Ravens, Eagles: the same as last year.

Washington NFL team: NBC 2015 but with that odd scoreboard with the full names

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Bears have news in-house (non-Fox) graphics for their WFLD broadcasts. It's a very good look. Pics later.

Yum-o:

[MEDIA=twitter]763891919688638464[/MEDIA]

Elsewhere:

The Jets on WCBS retain their full CBS O&O look.

The Eagles, well...it ain't pretty, but it isn't new, either.

The Patriots also have found a new way to be ugly:

[MEDIA=twitter]763893402572173313[/MEDIA]

Yum-o:

The Eagles, well...it ain't pretty, but it isn't new, either.

Considering all the NBC affiliates are OOC for the NFL preseason for the Olympics and the Eagles are in beautiful 16:9 SD on Cozi WCAU-DT2 (with a thankful HD simulcast on CSN), 'ain't pretty' is accurate.

You want to see ugly though...the Patriots have segments from the "Bob's Discount Furniture Studio", which consists of six flat-screens in the background playing an infinite loop of a CGI "Bob" in a Pats jersey tossing a football up and down. Another winner in the "CGI-Rendered Person Nightmare Hall of Fame".

You want to see ugly though...the Patriots have segments from the "Bob's Discount Furniture Studio", which consists of six flat-screens in the background playing an infinite loop of a CGI "Bob" in a Pats jersey tossing a football up and down.

Holy Mother of God.

Considering all the NBC affiliates are OOC for the NFL preseason for the Olympics and the Eagles are in beautiful 16:9 SD on Cozi WCAU-DT2 (with a thankful HD simulcast on CSN), 'ain't pretty' is accurate.

You want to see ugly though...the Patriots have segments from the "Bob's Discount Furniture Studio", which consists of six flat-screens in the background playing an infinite loop of a CGI "Bob" in a Pats jersey tossing a football up and down. Another winner in the "CGI-Rendered Person Nightmare Hall of Fame".

What ticks me off about the Eagles graphics is how they have resources as an NBC O&O as well as CSN Philly in their arsenal, but somehow they can't even use the NBC Sports Graphics. The Eagles Television Network could save money by putting it on NBC's end of it, but they don't for some reason.

I've realized that because of that, its a good thing the Rams and Cowboys both have preseason games on CBS O&Os.

What ticks me off about the Eagles graphics is how they have resources as an NBC O&O as well as CSN Philly in their arsenal, but somehow they can't even use the NBC Sports Graphics. The Eagles Television Network could save money by putting it on NBC's end of it, but they don't for some reason.
Even KCBS and CBS 11 use the CBS sports graphics for their preseason broadcasts, why cant NBC 10 use the NBC Sports graphics for theirs?

I wonder if it has something to do with out of market stations who aren't NBC affiliates carrying the game, such as WRLH/FOX Richmond, WTKR/CBS Norfolk, and WSOC/ABC Charlotte (that last one baffles me).

The Patriots also have found a new way to be ugly:

[MEDIA=twitter]763893402572173313[/MEDIA]

I'm kind of confused as to what you mean with this tweet. The Patriots have used this look for a while but the Bobs Discount Furniture studio is hideous. As a side note I've followed that guy on Instagram for a while - he frequently posts a ton of breaking news.

The a Ravens stopped their game to watch Michael Phelps get his 22nd gold medal:

[MEDIA=twitter]763923139684216832[/MEDIA]

This occurred during commercial break and back in 2008 they did the same thing.

The Eagles control their preseason broadcasts 100%. They produce the broadcast so they decide what graphics are going to be used. They decided for some reason to use their in-stadium graphics for their telecast. It's only 3 years old but it got stale quickly. I agree with everyone else that they should use the much nicer NBC Sports look.

The Eagles control their preseason broadcasts 100%. They produce the broadcast so they decide what graphics are going to be used. They decided for some reason to use their in-stadium graphics for their telecast. It's only 3 years old but it got stale quickly. I agree with everyone else that they should use the much nicer NBC Sports look.

This is something people forget. Teams are heavily involved in production of their preseason games.

For instance, the Kansas City Chiefs broadcasts are a production of the team's digital arm, 65TPT Productions. (The name is an acronym for 65 Toss Power Trap.) Last year they used CBS Sports graphics (KCTV is their flagship). I recall watching a rerun of a Chiefs preseason contest somewhere once and having to look up the acronym.

The Cardinals produce their telecasts, so their graphics are predictably bad (mostly for being very chunky and big). They also have just three affiliates — and I expect in the near future that one of them will be switched out. They even use the NFL "Back to Football" promotional stuff dating to the lockout. About the only good thing they can salvage is that Gotham is a good typeface.

Pittsburgh's the same (old CBS but with a slightly odd looking scoreboard)

Saints are still Fox, although their team abbreviations are a tad ... odd.

[MEDIA=twitter]764184922366115841[/MEDIA]

Giants are using a very bizarre mashup with a Fox graphic here and there and the old, old NBC scoreboard.

That's the college/HS football scoreboard, that's why it's so odd.

The Cardinals are using the rarely seen NFL Network graphics package (which has been mostly discarded since Thursday Night Football) with a persistent Hyundai logo and the stupid "BACK TO FOOTBALL" where the A is a Cardinal and you want to read "FOOTBULL".

The first down line comes from the current generation Fox package!

[MEDIA=twitter]764288722086924288[/MEDIA]

That NFL package also has a home in Cleveland: [MEDIA=twitter]764286954787708928[/MEDIA]

Elsewhere...

The Bengals network uses last-gen ESPN graphics with some strange spacing and type choices: [MEDIA=gfycat]WarpedFlimsyChital[/MEDIA]

The Steelers network's last-gen CBS graphics are really awkwardly spaced: [MEDIA=imgur]MikzuoC[/MEDIA]

The Giants...hold your nose: [MEDIA=gfycat]TepidUnacceptableAnura[/MEDIA]

The Packers are still last-gen NBC, which...isn't bad:

Really WWOR? You are using the Fox package elsewhere, why not on the scorebar?

That looks better than your opaque logo covering the NBC one from 10 years ago.

The reason Pittsburgh's looks so odd is that like with New Orleans/Detroit with Fox, Pittsburgh is using the previous Generation CBSSN/SEC on CBS graphics, which gives them room to spell out names instead of abbreviating them.

This is something people forget. Teams are heavily involved in production of their preseason games.

For instance, the Kansas City Chiefs broadcasts are a production of the team's digital arm, 65TPT Productions. (The name is an acronym for 65 Toss Power Trap.) Last year they used CBS Sports graphics (KCTV is their flagship). I recall watching a rerun of a Chiefs preseason contest somewhere once and having to look up the acronym.

The Cardinals produce their telecasts, so their graphics are predictably bad (mostly for being very chunky and big). They also have just three affiliates — and I expect in the near future that one of them will be switched out. They even use the NFL "Back to Football" promotional stuff dating to the lockout. About the only good thing they can salvage is that Gotham is a good typeface.

Another example is the Rams. Their presesason telecasts were produced by Altitude (Rams owner Kronke also owns the Altitude network). Although this may change with their move to LA.

Really WWOR? You are using the Fox package elsewhere, why not on the scorebar?

That looks better than your opaque logo covering the NBC one from 10 years ago.

The reason Pittsburgh's looks so odd is that like with New Orleans/Detroit with Fox, Pittsburgh is using the previous Generation CBSSN/SEC on CBS graphics, which gives them room to spell out names instead of abbreviating them.

The Giants preseason affiliate is usually WNBC but since they're handling the Rio Olmypics, preempted the game WWOR. That's probably why the bug looks so cheap.

I was saying that "N.O. SAINTS" and "N.E. PATRIOTS" looked odd. What was stopping them from typing out "NEW ORLEANS" and "NEW ENGLAND"?

The Raiders were upgraded to the current NBC Sports package, but unlike everyone else that's used it, they've kept a top-corner mounted scoreboard, it's oddly extended in much the same way as the odd Pittsburgh/KDKA one, plus they're using an overlaid game clock so something feels either cheap or broken

[MEDIA=instagram]BJCRCG_g9mj[/MEDIA]

If done right, I wouldn't mind SNF shifting to a scoreboard like that ... if it were built properly, that is. It'd make it a bit more consistent with the other sports that largely shifted to corner scoreboards before the current graphics came into play.

I was saying that "N.O. SAINTS" and "N.E. PATRIOTS" looked odd. What was stopping them from typing out "NEW ORLEANS" and "NEW ENGLAND"?

The Raiders were upgraded to the current NBC Sports package, but unlike everyone else that's used it, they've kept a top-corner mounted scoreboard, it's oddly extended in much the same way as the odd Pittsburgh/KDKA one, plus they're using an overlaid game clock so something feels either cheap or broken

[MEDIA=instagram]BJCRCG_g9mj[/MEDIA]

If done right, I wouldn't mind SNF shifting to a scoreboard like that ... if it were built properly, that is. It'd make it a bit more consistent with the other sports that largely shifted to corner scoreboards before the current graphics came into play.

Are the Raiders on CSN Bay Area/California or KNTV?

The reason why the KDKA one, the Bengals one and that are long is that they seem to be derivatives of the college scoreboards with more team space, instead of the NFL versions that just use abbreviations.

Archived