FCC Eliminates UHF Ownership Discount

The Frog

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Some small developments before tomorrow's FCC vote:

• Meanwhile, Reps. Pelosi & Pallone have urge Chairman Pai not to reinstate the discount. They fear that this would open up the door for Sinclair to acquire the Tribune stations.
    "We are concerned, in part, because of press accounts that Sinclair is waiting on the UHF loophole to be restored so it can buy Tribune Broadcasting's stations. Without the phony math created by the UHF loophole, that the transaction would increase its audience share beyond the statutory 39% cap. That would be bad news for consumers in Tribune’s markets in two ways: first, consumers would lose an independent voice in their media market; and second, consumers could see their cable bills go up because Sinclair charges cable operators more than Tribune for retransmission consent."
    Full letter here.

Shares for Sinclair & Tribune are up, as speculation of a possible merger continues.

There's also this little tidbit:

The FCC also said it will launch a rulemaking later this year to look at the national ownership cap in its entirely and consider raising the cap with or without the discount.

So there's the potential for the big station groups to get even bigger, even if the discount is dumped again somewhere down the line.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that the cap go's up to 45 to 50% anyways just my opinion. I believe that UHF discount is needed since it helps everyone in the TV business not just Sinclair's or Nexstar the small TV groups as well plus it's free market. Which Wheeler was wrong to get rid of the discount last fall and broke the rules when doing it glad that discount is back since it helps everyone not the few.

Now several anti-consolidation advocacy groups (Prometheus Radio Project, Common Cause, etc.) have filed a petition to the FCC to stay their April 20th decision to bring back the UHF loophole until a federal judge reviews the move.

That would basically kill Sinclair's purchase of Tribune, and force a piecemeal sale to whoever has room.

These groups like free press don't believe in free market or competition there not for the little guy as they claim to be. There wrong like always and these groups make baseless claims without facts or proof they would lose in a court of law since it's a waste of time and without merit as well.

These groups like free press don't believe in free market or competition there not for the little guy as they claim to be. There wrong like always and these groups make baseless claims without facts or proof they would lose in a court of law since it's a waste of time and without merit as well.

It's not a free market though. The public owns the airwaves. TV and radio stations (even Sinclair) are supposed to use the airwaves for the public's benefit first and foremost.

Sinclair reaching 75% of the country does not benefit the public, it benefits Sinclair and Sinclair alone.

It's not a free market though. The public owns the airwaves. TV and radio stations (even Sinclair) are supposed to use the airwaves for the public's benefit first and foremost.

Sinclair reaching 75% of the country does not benefit the public, it benefits Sinclair and Sinclair alone.

It does benefit the country with discount since it's the free market working. ION is in 65% of the country don't see these groups making any noise about that I believe the cap is going to go between 45 to 50% I'm fine with TV stations owning between 55 to 60% in the country.

It does benefit the country with discount since it's the free market working. ION is in 65% of the country don't see these groups making any noise about that I believe the cap is going to go between 45 to 50% I'm fine with TV stations owning between 55 to 60% in the country.

Well...if you want free market...why not a 100% cap? Quintopolies allowed? Let the broadcasters self-regulate. Oh, did I say broadcasters? I meant broadcaster. Sinclair.

Well...if you want free market...why not a 100% cap? Quintopolies allowed? Let the broadcasters self-regulate. Oh, did I say broadcasters? I meant broadcaster. Sinclair.

Look back at how radio consolidated. That's why I may not be shocked to see Nexstar and Sinclair merge into one monolith by the time this is over with.

If the FCC plays footsie and lets Sinclair retain any and every overlap station with Tribune, they'll let a Sinclair-Nexstar combo through with zero spin-offs.

Look back at how radio consolidated. That's why I may not be shocked to see Nexstar and Sinclair merge into one monolith by the time this is over with.

If the FCC plays footsie and lets Sinclair retain any and every overlap station with Tribune, they'll let a Sinclair-Nexstar combo through with zero spin-offs.

That does seem to be the logical end game.

But ponder this...

After the big SinStar merger we get one last finale...

SinStar merges with ClearChannelumulus...

(tilt)

(game over)

So even at a 45-50% cap Sinclair will still have to sell off some stattions

Unless the FCC decides to either raise the cap or eliminate it altogether, which they could very well do under this administration.

Archived