FCC Eliminates UHF Ownership Discount

The Frog

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now several anti-consolidation advocacy groups (Prometheus Radio Project, Common Cause, etc.) have filed a petition to the FCC to stay their April 20th decision to bring back the UHF loophole until a federal judge reviews the move.

So because of the FCC's inaction of their request, NOW the advocacy groups have gone to the D.C. Circuit to request for an "emergency" stay. The reinstatement of the loophole goes in effect next Monday.

Now the question is will they get it? And what's their next step if they don't get it?

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't file their complaint to the Third Circuit instead. Most of their complaints that come out of there have sided with them. The D.C. Circuit have sided with the broadcasters and their trade groups (NAB, etc.)

Well, that sure speaks volumes.

You know, Trump has endeared himself to the judicial system so well ( /sarc ) that it may not have even mattered what court the advocacy groups went to.

You are correct it doesn't matter anymore. The advocacy groups have rushed to the courts over everything....so now the Supreme Court will decide most those pesky issues.

Just like the repubs should have had the healthcare reform ready to go...they didn't.

If you are gonna "rush" to court...be ready to "rush" the courts calendar.

It works both ways.

(and the gubmnt don't pay filing and court fees at each step)

You are correct it doesn't matter anymore. The advocacy groups have rushed to the courts over everything....so now the Supreme Court will decide most those pesky issues.

Just like the repubs should have had the healthcare reform ready to go...they didn't.

If you are gonna "rush" to court...be ready to "rush" the courts calendar.

It works both ways.

(and the gubmnt don't pay filing and court fees at each step)

If the FCC fails to come up with an adequate defense for instituting an obsolete rule which has zero tangible benefit (unless you work for Sinclair), should the courts throw the damn thing out, it'll be their own fault. Paid Off hasn't yet made a credible reason, and there's no need to believe he will magically do so before Thursday.

It's a rather pathetic combination of institutional failures and pure greed... with a tinge of a failed kleptocracy.

If the FCC fails to come up with an adequate defense for instituting an obsolete rule which has zero tangible benefit (unless you work for Sinclair), should the courts throw the damn thing out, it'll be their own fault. Paid Off hasn't yet made a credible reason, and there's no need to believe he will magically do so before Thursday.

It's a rather pathetic combination of institutional failures and pure greed... with a tinge of a failed kleptocracy.

I prefer the govt just stay out of the whole thing and let the free market decide.

Because that is the system we have right now.

"But it's the public airwaves"....

No...and yes.

The public allows private sector to use those frequencies for profit...and not for profit. If we don't like that way we, should change it thru congress.

This is just like that giant health care mess...and it's going to collapse.

I'm not hanging on to the Old TeeVee 'cept for this 100watt pirate TV transmitter at KBEX.

What was the subject again?

A stay has been granted.

But they say this is only an "administrative stay" which the courts will take time to review both the FCC & Free Press arguments of Free Press’s request for a longer "emergency" stay.

But because of this stay, the launch of the reinstatement of the UHF loophole, which was suppose to be in effect on Monday, will not happen.

Free Press will have until June 7th to respond.

A stay has been granted.

But they say this is only an "administrative stay" which the courts will take time to review both the FCC & Free Press arguments of Free Press’s request for a longer "emergency" stay.

But because of this stay, the launch of the reinstatement of the UHF loophole, which was suppose to be in effect on Monday, will not happen.

I think there are a lot of angry people in Hunt Valley tonight...

I think there are a lot of angry people in Hunt Valley tonight...

I don't think this "administrative stay" is causing that much of an alarm (at least not yet). That's only for the courts to review each side in the argument. I would expect a decision on that longer "emergency" stay in a short time frame.

But if the courts DO grant them that longer stay, then that would be alarming because, we don't know how long the full review of this proceeding is going to be. It could take a long time (something that the advocacy groups are yearning for). And any future M&As involving groups that are at or over the cap can't happen without the loophole, and any current ones could be in limbo.

But should the courts reject the stay, then the loophole would be back in effect. But keep in mind, even though the courts could grant Free Press this stay, that doesn't mean the courts for favor them when the thorough review is completed. Same can be said on the broadcasters side. They could reject Free Press's stay request, but then side with Free Press after review.

What has already happen is that the launch of loophole will not go in effect on Monday. And Free Press is seeking a longer stay so the launch would be delayed even longer. The question becomes whether Sinclair & Tribune are willing to play the "waiting game" on its proposed union while the loophole is decided in the courts?

If the court favors Free Press does the FCC go to the supreme court or will that take while before it go's to the supreme court? I don't think Sinclair is sweating not yet if this go's on next year then I think they will stop waiting just my opinion. I believe the deal with Sinclair merger with Tribune doesn't get done until 2018 they say end of the year but I think that is pushing it.

I don't think this "administrative stay" is causing that much of an alarm (at least not yet). That's only for the courts to review each side in the argument. I would expect a decision on that longer "emergency" stay in a short time frame.

But if the courts DO grant them that longer stay, then that would be alarming because, we don't know how long the full review of this proceeding is going to be. It could take a long time (something that the advocacy groups are yearning for). And any future M&As involving groups that are at or over the cap can't happen without the loophole, and any current ones could be in limbo.

But should the courts reject the stay, then the loophole would be back in effect. But keep in mind, even though the courts could grant Free Press this stay, that doesn't mean the courts for favor them when the thorough review is completed. Same can be said on the broadcasters side. They could reject Free Press's stay request, but then side with Free Press after review.

What has already happen is that the launch of loophole will not go in effect on Monday. And Free Press is seeking a longer stay so the launch would be delayed even longer. The question becomes whether Sinclair & Tribune are willing to play the "waiting game" on its proposed union while the loophole is decided in the courts?

IF the courts rule against the discounts, Sinclair-Tribune would just have to proceed forward with divestitures being required in markets such as Seattle, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, Des Moines, Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo, St. Louis, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Harrisburg-Lancaster, Richmond and Norfolk-Virginia Beach whether the folks in Hunt Valley want to divest them or not.

It's really just another shake down attempt by fringe groups who DON'T want to spend money on TV stations....they just want to extort them...and the U.S.A. shareholders of such companies.

And that's all it is.

It's really just another shake down attempt by fringe groups who DON'T want to spend money on TV stations....they just want to extort them...and the U.S.A. shareholders of such companies.

And that's all it is.

Like that self-styled "activist" in Sacramento who used that stunt-gone-wrong to try to scuttle the CBS Radio - Entercom merger. Her tactic worked to the extent that Entercom surrendered the station's license. She's trying to line up investors to get the station back on the air.

What if you're just trying to save local television from a group whose philosophy includes a lot of "local news should be political in only one way everywhere" and that aspires to be the television version of iHeartMedia, which has raised questions about its ability to survive as a going concern due to its crushing debt load?

What if you're just trying to save local television from a group whose philosophy includes a lot of "local news should be political in only one way everywhere" and that aspires to be the television version of iHeartMedia, which has raised questions about its ability to survive as a going concern due to its crushing debt load?

They are completely free to lose their asses in BK if that's what happens.

Local TV news sold out long ago when much smaller companies sold out...this shit has been going on for years and years...cut this...cut that...same old story.

Let it crash and burn...maybe one day it will rise up....but today is NOT that day.

Hey Vinyl records and cassette tape are making a comeback.

Like that self-styled "activist" in Sacramento who used that stunt-gone-wrong to try to scuttle the CBS Radio - Entercom merger. Her tactic worked to the extent that Entercom surrendered the station's license. She's trying to line up investors to get the station back on the air.

The funny thing is, Entercom didn't lose the intellectual property of said station (KDND 107.9) but transferred it onto one of their lower-rated properties (106.5)... and THEN gave up the licence.

It was a solid win for Entercom as the CBS-Entercom merger would have resulted in multiple divestures in Sacramento (both were at or close to the set cap). So Entercom took one of those stations off the table and eliminated the bad publicity brought on by said activist.

And... it typically takes years for a surrendered license to be reactivated. Earliest 107.9 could resurface might be 2019 or 2020. If that.

Here's the FCC's statement in opposition of Free Press request for an "emergency" stay. This was posted before the administative stay was issued by the courts last night.

I read it on Bloomberg and by FCC's logic the petitions (such as Free Press) "flunked the multi-part test part test" I'm not sure if the courts will buy that logic.

If the FCC, or in particular Mr. PAId off, wants to loosen the ownership regulations, then they should do so in the proper way by initiating rule making, holding hearings, getting public comment, and finalizing it. Reinstating an obsolete rule to accomplish this just shows that our government wants to short circuit our democracy before anyone catches wiser. If allowing the Sinclairs of the world to own every station possible is the right thing to do, then let it happen properly. This approach stinks of cronyism and payoffs.

If the FCC, or in particular Mr. PAId off, wants to loosen the ownership regulations, then they should do so in the proper way by initiating rule making, holding hearings, getting public comment, and finalizing it. Reinstating an obsolete rule to accomplish this just shows that our government wants to short circuit our democracy before anyone catches wiser. If allowing the Sinclairs of the world to own every station possible is the right thing to do, then let it happen properly. This approach stinks of cronyism and payoffs.

Wrong Wheeler was wrong getting rid of the discount the FCC is righting that wrong by returning the discount which the chairmen has every right to do. Wheeler had no right to get rid the discount since he always favored Free Press while chairmen was paid off by Free Press to get rid of the discount that is cronyism by Wheeler. At least Pai has been a good chairmen getting rid of Wheelers cronyism & payoffs at the FCC he does it the right way.

Wrong Wheeler was wrong getting rid of the discount the FCC is righting that wrong by returning the discount which the chairmen has every right to do. Wheeler had no right to get rid the discount since he always favored Free Press while chairmen was paid off by Free Press to get rid of the discount that is cronyism by Wheeler. At least Pai has been a good chairmen getting rid of Wheelers cronyism & payoffs at the FCC he does it the right way.

860565.jpg

Archived