WEWS Rebrands with new logo

news89

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bask in the glory that the original Circle 5 started...

This promo was really the beginning of local TV marketing as we knew it. It turned Frank Gari from an obscure pop star to a television music and marketing powerhouse and it vaulted WEWS into memories of long time Clevelanders and Northeast Ohioans. Even the 1980s variant was JCBd/TVbD at the top of their game. And using Ernie Anderson as VO in the 80s made him come full circle from his start on Ghoulardi into his long and lucrative voiceover career.

There are no words....

The silver lining is that as soon as this brand fails, they can go back to the ORIGINAL Circle 5. Please, for the love of god....

For a station that is still owned by their founders, Scripps just needs to go away....right now.

Cleveland TV is not what it used to be. I think Youngstown is putting out a better product these days.

Now that Journal no longer exists to title of "company that completely ruins their flagship station" clearly belongs to Scripps.

There are no words....

The silver lining is that as soon as this brand fails, they can go back to the ORIGINAL Circle 5. Please, for the love of god....

For a station that is still owned by their founders, Scripps just needs to go away....right now.

Cleveland TV is not what it used to be. I think Youngstown is putting out a better product these days.

Don't bet on WEWS replacing the "Hurl 5". Scripps is a very stubborn company.

Guest Former Member 207
Not really! That title now belongs to KSTP. WEWS is 2nd for that title, however.

KTTV and KCOP in Los Angeles say "hello"

Not really! That title now belongs to KSTP. WEWS is 2nd for that title, however.

Gannett did a number on WUSA, although that could be changing with Sinclair behind the wheel at WJLA. Tegna could bring them back, or Sinclair could out-suck them to make WUSA look decent again.

That's the thing these days. It's not a station actually making themselves better, it's their competition out-sucking them.

I watched a little of "The Now" going into their 5pm show. The fact that Rob Powers said "coming up next on Live on fi...I mean News 5 at 5" I'll just leave it right there. End rant.

Gannett did a number on WUSA, although that could be changing with Sinclair behind the wheel at WJLA. Tegna could bring them back, or Sinclair could out-suck them to make WUSA look decent again.

That's the thing these days. It's not a station actually making themselves better, it's their competition out-sucking them.

I've always considered Gannett/Tegna's flagship to be primarily KUSA, with WUSA as a secondary flagship. Even during Gannett/Tegna's worst days KUSA was always treated well.

I watched a little of "The Now" going into their 5pm show. The fact that Rob Powers said "coming up next on Live on fi...I mean News 5 at 5" I'll just leave it right there. End rant.

From a few weeks ago while waiting for car work to get finished.

20160831_120037.thumb.jpg.dbf5c19200dbf3e96a6074b62ce0b475.jpg

WEWS has been in trouble since the mid 2000s. Ever since WKYC crawled out of 3rd place and got Dr. Phil. It only got worse in 2004 with their botched relaunch (sans Circle 5), the "return" three years later, and the identity crisis that ensued the fall before Ted Henry retired. At least the ABC variant made it's debut during this time, but the longtime "NewsChannel" got lost in the shuffle.

Now in the ensuing years of anchor and staff turnover, the reset button has been hit. If anything, perhaps the "On Your Side" brand needed to be put out to pasture.

WEWS has been in trouble since the mid 2000s. Ever since WKYC crawled out of 3rd place and got Dr. Phil. It only got worse in 2004 with their botched relaunch (sans Circle 5), the "return" three years later, and the identity crisis that ensued the fall before Ted Henry retired. At least the ABC variant made it's debut during this time, but the longtime "NewsChannel" got lost in the shuffle.

Now in the ensuing years of anchor and staff turnover, the reset button has been hit. If anything, perhaps the "On Your Side" brand needed to be put out to pasture.

What their current slogan now that "On Your Side" is toast?

What their current slogan now that "On Your Side" is toast?

Nope...it's still around. I was hoping it would have been done away with by now. It came into existence in 1995 when their consumer team was rebranded "5 On Your Side" and became their main slogan in 1998 with their relaunch. It's not as dated as "Eyewitness News" but it's one of my more hated brands...

For this to be a legacy station with the rich history it has. If you look at Atlanta, Detroit and Cleveland when the 94 switch all those (3) of those ABC affiliates were running away #1. WSB/Atlanta still running away. WEWS/WXYZ both have fallen off. By, the time early 2000s WEWS still doing good, but the product wasn't as good years priors. WKYC, moved up, and even WOIO even got a boost in their own imagine . Now, WEWS has lost it respect with this current logo it beyond disrespectful to the station legacy.

If this is any other channel 5 ABC affiliate (outside of maybe WCVB), I don't think the reaction would've been so negative. Is it rather uninspired and bland? Absolutely, but it's not terrible. I guess my point of view is that we're talking about a 3rd place station run into the ground that was using a bastardized version of a once great logo. The original circle 5 reminds us of a great history. The knockoff they used for the last decade only reminds me of their downfall into mediocrity. No big loss. Hey, maybe this visual rebrand is what they need so when a new boss comes in a little while or corporate gets their heads out of their asses (not holding my breath), they could possibly change things up once more and change back to the classic logo. In the meantime, I do think the new logo would have been improved with a white border, creating a more familiar look and connection to its predecessor...

1828834379_wewsmod.thumb.png.e9eea0763dd907d1d0a1bb865b630a7e.png

(It's a rough mock-up, for sure, but just trying to make a point.)

Archived