At&t sports networks Root Sports

D Dwayne

I think it's weird that Root Sports Northwest went with new music while keeping the Root brand.

It's not weird. It has been explained before that the Mariners have a majority stake in that channel, thus deciding to stick with the Root Sports name.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not weird. It has been explained before that the Mariners have a majority stake in that channel, thus deciding to stick with the Root Sports name.

Not only that but also due to the fact that there's already an RSN in the Northwest region that uses the "(insert company name/network) SportsNet" brand and had they followed Rocky Mountain, Utah, Southwest and Pittsburgh it would confused viewers in the Northwest region and they can't call themselves "AT&T SportsNet Seattle" either or else they would face the same problems that the Dodgers are facing with SportsNet LA and what both the Astros and the Rockets faced when it was Comcast SportsNet before AT&T/DirecTV bought them out of bankruptcy in 2014

I think it's weird that Root Sports Northwest went with new music while keeping the Root brand.

Not only that, there's already a Sportsnet in the Northwest in the form of CSN Northwest.

The music will take some getting used to (I really liked the old music but the new music isn't too bad either) and those graphics are definitely an upgrade.

In other Root/ATT news. Another team will be joining their coverage. The new Vegas Golden Knights NHL Franchise will be shown on ATT Sportsnet Rocky Mountain.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/golden-knights-select-root-sports-as-tv-provider/

(Article is from May before the rebrand was announced)

Not only that but also due to the fact that there's already an RSN in the Northwest region that uses the "(insert company name/network) SportsNet" brand and had they followed Rocky Mountain, Utah, Southwest and Pittsburgh it would confused viewers in the Northwest region and they can't call themselves "AT&T SportsNet Seattle" either or else they would face the same problems that the Dodgers are facing with SportsNet LA and what both the Astros and the Rockets faced when it was Comcast SportsNet before AT&T/DirecTV bought them out of bankruptcy in 2014

Not only that, there's already a Sportsnet in the Northwest in the form of CSN Northwest.

Not to offend anyone, but you'd have to be pretty dumb and/or not a regular sports viewer to confuse AT&T Sportsnet with Comcast Sportsnet. The use of "Sportsnet" is not exclusive to any one entity. Also, before Root Sports came to Seattle, there was FOX Sports Net (FSN) Northwest.

And the problems facing [spectrum] Sportsnet LA as well as CSN Houston have ZERO to do with their branding name. It was about $$ and distribution.

Also, if the Mariners had OK'd the name change to AT&T Sportsnet, they'd be using that right now. However, they own a majority stake in the channel along with AT&T so the team decides how they operate the channel.

Not to offend anyone, but you'd have to be pretty dumb and/or not a regular sports viewer to confuse AT&T Sportsnet with Comcast Sportsnet. The use of "Sportsnet" is not exclusive to any one entity. Also, before Root Sports came to Seattle, there was FOX Sports Net (FSN) Northwest.

And the problems facing [spectrum] Sportsnet LA as well as CSN Houston have ZERO to do with their branding name. It was about $$ and distribution.

Also, if the Mariners had OK'd the name change to AT&T Sportsnet, they'd be using that right now. However, they own a majority stake in the channel along with AT&T so the team decides how they operate the channel.

I feel the same how can you confuse the two lol

Sorta. The remaining Comcast SportsNets are hard branding themselves as "CSN" these days and if what we've seen in the Bay Area is any indication of things to come, it'll all be moot in the future.

I mean you'd think the Mariners would do like what they did in Houston after Comcast SportsNet Houston became Root Sports did the Houston area viewers became confused between "Root Sports Southwest" and "Fox Sports Southwest"? No they didn't but now that's known as "AT&T SportsNet Southwest" that's a moot point.

Sorta. The remaining Comcast SportsNets are hard branding themselves as "CSN" these days and if what we've seen in the Bay Area is any indication of things to come, it'll all be moot in the future.

Don't be surprised if NBC does indeed rebrand the remaining RSNs to "NBC Sports Northwest", "NBC Sports Chicago", "NBC Sports Mid-Atlantic" and "NBC Sports Philadelphia" more than likely by the start of the NHL season.

However the question mark becomes does SportsNet New York rebrand to "NBC Sports New York" or do they do like what's happened in Seattle and stick with it's current name?

Dang... ATT-Root went from some of the worst graphics in broadcasting (IMHO) to some of the best essentially overnight.

I liked the graphics with the original look, but I severely disliked the MLB score graphic they just got rid of. I always considered it more of an "interim" look since the score graphic didn't match the rest of the package.

I mean you'd think the Mariners would do like what they did in Houston after Comcast SportsNet Houston became Root Sports did the Houston area viewers became confused between "Root Sports Southwest" and "Fox Sports Southwest"? No they didn't but now that's known as "AT&T SportsNet Southwest" that's a moot point.

Don't be surprised if NBC does indeed rebrand the remaining RSNs to "NBC Sports Northwest", "NBC Sports Chicago", "NBC Sports Mid-Atlantic" and "NBC Sports Philadelphia" more than likely by the start of the NHL season.

However the question mark becomes does SportsNet New York rebrand to "NBC Sports New York" or do they do like what's happened in Seattle and stick with it's current name?

I don't think it'll be this year. Maybe next year for the start of football season. With NBC having the Super Bowl this year, they may or may not be up for a graphics refresh (although I hope not cause I love current look). If they are, they'd probably would want to hold off rebranding the RSNs til then.

As for SNY, with the Mets being the majority owner of that network, I doubt they would adopt the NBC Sports brand. They didn't incorporate the peacock into their logo when the group was rolled into NBC Sports so I don't see anything changing there.

What are you talking about???

FOX Sports Southwest never serviced Houston/sports. It was FOX Sports Houston, which shutdown due to losing the Rockets and Astros television rights to Comcast Sportsnet Houston. CSN then went into bankruptcy due to distribution and money problems. AT&T eventually purchased the network out of bankruptcy.

I don't think it'll be this year. Maybe next year for the start of football season. With NBC having the Super Bowl this year, they may or may not be up for a graphics refresh (although I hope not cause I love current look). If they are, they'd probably would want to hold off rebranding the RSNs til then.

As for SNY, with the Mets being the majority owner of that network, I doubt they would adopt the NBC Sports brand. They didn't incorporate the peacock into their logo when the group was rolled into NBC Sports so I don't see anything changing there.

Well the Mets have been having money problems for a while now, so they may eventually sell their stake in the network to recoup some cash. Hey, if the Yankees sold a majority stake of YES to FOX, then i'm sure the Mets are exploring the idea as well.

What are you talking about???

FOX Sports Southwest never serviced Houston/sports. It was FOX Sports Houston, which shutdown due to losing the Rockets and Astros television rights to Comcast Sportsnet Houston. CSN then went into bankruptcy due to distribution and money problems. AT&T eventually purchased the network out of bankruptcy.

Did you read my post? I said clearly

Did the Houston area viewers became confused between "Root Sports Southwest" and "Fox Sports Southwest"? No they didn't.

I said that did the HOUSTON area VIEWERS became CONFUSED between ROOT SPORTS SOUTHWEST AND FOX SPORTS SOUTHWEST? NO THEY DIDN'T! Where did I say that FOX Sports Southwest even serviced the Houston area? I didn't, clearly you didn't take the time to read my post because I do not have "Stupid" written on MY forehead!

Did you read my post? I said clearly

I said that did the HOUSTON area VIEWERS became CONFUSED between ROOT SPORTS SOUTHWEST AND FOX SPORTS SOUTHWEST? NO THEY DIDN'T! Where did I say that FOX Sports Southwest even serviced the Houston area? I didn't, clearly you didn't take the time to read my post because I do not have "Stupid" written on MY forehead!

First you bring up possible viewer confusion in the Northwest over Roots Sports NW/AT&T Sportsnet name use, then you say that viewers wouldn't be confused over the use of SouthWest regarding Root Sports and FOX Sports. I brought up FOX Sports Houston (as the predecessor to CSN Houston, Root SW/AT&T SW), because YOU were talking about Houston area viewers, and I was pointing out that FOX Sports Southwest has nothing to do with Houston area sports.

The SportsNet name won't be an issue for too long. Comcast/NBCU is indeed renaming them to "NBCSports {city}" throughout this year. Bay Area already did it, and the rest are working on the transition for fall.

It was announced the California ones being renamed but I never saw an announcement for the others can someone share it?

It was announced the California ones being renamed but I never saw an announcement for the others can someone share it?

That is correct. The California nets are technically in a trial run. Not that they're reverting to CSN, but they want to test the waters before executing a full rebrand.

Archived