Tis the season...for November ratings

24994J

And at the end of Today, Nightly News, and (I think) Meet The Press, they've been saying "More Americans watch NBC News than any other news organization in the world." And by "any other news organization in the world", that includes CNN and probably the BBC.

That's also kind of a rediculous statement... meaningless marketing.

Update: It looks like they updated the promo. The small print says "Source: Nielsen, LS, total viewers reached; 9/21/2015-9/18/2016." So they're only counting the same day viewership. I imagine the extra two hours of Today factor into this as it's a part of the news division.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Update: It looks like they updated the promo. The small print says "Source: Nielsen, LS, total viewers reached; 9/21/2015-9/18/2016." So they're only counting the same day viewership. I imagine the extra two hours of Today factor into this as it's a part of the news division.

Not unlike what WBZ does on a local level, in that they count CBS viewers overall as part of their viewership and then bill themselves as "Boston's most watched station."

"Yes. 6am-2am is what Nielsen considers "total day." CBS primetime is part of the broadcast day."

But 5:00am (and earlier!) newscasts aren't?

At this point, should it matter? As long as Colbert and Corden get a piece of the action--and not whatever comes after like Byron Allen and probably a infomer of timeshares or MyPillow (except the Overnight News and Morning News), everything's roses, rainbows and Millhouse.

In Pittsburgh, KDKA-TV 2 is still #1 at Noon, 4, 5, 6, 11 and tied at 10pm (households). WPXI is first at 5, 6 and 11 in the 25-54 demo. WTAE still tops in the mornings (households).

Article: http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2016/11/30/Campaigns-give-boost-to-ratings/stories/201611300110

Chart: http://www.post-gazette.com/.media/2/2016/11/30/1cfdef0e-2361-4521-bfe5-dffec1a99099.jpg

Not unlike what WBZ does on a local level, in that they count CBS viewers overall as part of their viewership and then bill themselves as "Boston's most watched station."

Speaking of WBZ, have the Boston numbers come out yet? I'm looking on New England One and they haven't published them yet. I don't expect anything unusual; it should be, overall, WCVB #1, WHDH #2, WBZ #3 and WFXT #4. WCVB will probably win the overall ratings while WHDH wins the demo.

Speaking of WBZ, have the Boston numbers come out yet? I'm looking on New England One and they haven't published them yet. I don't expect anything unusual; it should be, overall, WCVB #1, WHDH #2, WBZ #3 and WFXT #4. WCVB will probably win the overall ratings while WHDH wins the demo.

Been doing the same thing at least once a day; I wouldn't expect much change either, although I wonder if WBZ's changes in the morning will buoy their ratings there at all. WCVB and WHDH will probably each notch a few demo wins each (iirc WCVB usually sweeps the evening and WHDH challenges in the morning and at noon) while WFXT tends to only do well when there's no local news up against.

Been doing the same thing at least once a day; I wouldn't expect much change either, although I wonder if WBZ's changes in the morning will buoy their ratings there at all. WCVB and WHDH will probably each notch a few demo wins each (iirc WCVB usually sweeps the evening and WHDH challenges in the morning and at noon) while WFXT tends to only do well when there's no local news up against.

WCVB seemed to constantly post ratings updates each month. The website makes it difficult to find them. But a Google site search shows nothing. I did the same thing to find WBAL's.

WHBQ has seen steady growth in their ratings since the Cox takeover, and have been trending upwards in some time slots to a point where they nearly beat WREG at the 6am hour in the mornings.

And unlike WFXT...they left the O&O logo alone!

WOAI-TV should have sold to Tribune, Cox, or NBCUniversal and bring back KMOL call letters too instead of being owned by hourse-manuring company called Sinclair.

The fact that they were owned by Chris Craft/United basically sealed the fate that they have today. They were trade bait (with KTVX) for WFTC in Minneapolis which led to their ownership by "Cheap" Channel...then Newport....and now Sinclair who "combined" them into KABB.

At least they don't have purple graphics like KTVX (which was dumped on Nexstar instead).

Had San Antonio jumped on the NFL bandwagon back in the day, KMOL could have become a Fox O&O...provided it was an NFC team they could have ended up with....

The fact that they were owned by Chris Craft/United basically sealed the fate that they have today. They were trade bait (with KTVX) for WFTC in Minneapolis which led to their ownership by "Cheap" Channel...then Newport....and now Sinclair who "combined" them into KABB.

At least they don't have purple graphics like KTVX (which was dumped on Nexstar instead).

Had San Antonio jumped on the NFL bandwagon back in the day, KMOL could have become a Fox O&O...provided it was an NFC team they could have ended up with....

Had they not been trade bait along with KTVX to Clear Channel, we could have been looking at Fox 4 San Antonio in 2002. Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i don't see what the difficulty in posting Ratings for NYC is. is it that everyone is embarrased at how low the ratings are from 8 years ago? i mean, who cares who is in 1st place if you are only .1 ahead of #2 and #3

Detroit:

Households

4pm:

WDIV News 4.8 / 12 Share

WJBK Judge Judy 3.4 / 9 Share

WXYZ The Now Detroit 2.3 / 6 Share

5pm:

WDIV News 6.6 / 14 Share

WXYZ News 4.2 / 9 Share

WJBK News 4.2 / 9 Share

6pm:

WDIV News 8.1 / 16 Share

WXYZ News 5.7 / 11 Share

WJBK News 3.7 / 7 Share

7-8pm:

WDIV Wheel / Jeopardy 8.0 / 14 Share

10pm:

WJBK News 4.8 / 8 Share

11pm:

WDIV News 6.3 / 12 Share

WXYZ News 5.7 / 11 Share

WJBK News 3.6 / 7 Share

http://www.clickondetroit.com/top-stories/local-4-earns-first-place-in-key-newscast-afternoon-programming-late-night-programming

Mariah Carey

Date: 01-01-2017 11:28 AM - Word Count: 195

Mariah Carey

Eds: Note bleeped obscenity, 7th graf.

LOS ANGELES (CNS) - Officials at ABC today trumpeted that their New

Years Eve ratings beat those of CBS, Fox and NBC combined, as the Internet

exploded with clips of singer Mariah Carey bombing in Times Square.

The singer's in-ear monitors malfunctioned, leaving her unable to hear

her musical tracks in front of pone million people at Times Square, and 8.2

million TV viewers on ABC.

The singer shrugged in frustration at one point as her amplified voice

continued to sing, revealing what one commentator called ``the worst lip-synch

failure since Milli Vanilli.''

Her P.R. department put out a statement blaming Dick Clark Productions

for failing to deliver her musical accompaniment to her ears, and making it

impossible for her to sing.

The embarrassing fail was not noticed by an oblivious ABC press machine,

which put out a breathless news release crowing about the network's eyeballs.

``ABC ranked a dominant number one on the final night of 2016 over its

broadcast competition, leading all six half-hours of prime,'' the network

announced.

As for Carey, she tweeted ``s---happens'' and wished her fans a happy

new year.

CNS-01-01-2017 11:28

I thought I bring up the latest ratings for WSVN, my favorite station obviously.

A25-54:

#1 from 5:00-10:00am

#1 from 4:00-7:00pm

#1 from 10:00-11:30pm

Didn't say Noon but I bet they were #1 there too. Suck it, WPLG! Stop copying 7.

(Apologies if I already brought this up.)

I thought I bring up the latest ratings for WSVN, my favorite station obviously.

A25-54:

Didn't say Noon but I bet they were #1 there too. Suck it, WPLG! Stop copying 7.

What about the times they compete with Telemundo? Telemundo's outrated them all during the past few cycles.

A25-54:

Hmm! WTVJ had been running a promo saying they were number 1 in late night.

I think that was November ratings because WSVN's was for December ratings. Unless if it is for Nov. ratings as well which meant that WSVN won combined from 10:00-11:30 p.m. but just separate from 11:00-11:30 p.m., then WTVJ won.

Remember, this is in A25-54. WSVN has historically been #1 for the last decade or more, thanks to its straight on the tabloid format that has made WSVN famous across the country. And I'm lucky to live out that product every day.

If a station dominates in a specific demographic, they can tout themselves as "number one."

But don't take my word for it... ask Mara Woloinski.

Archived