Tis the season...for November ratings

24994J

A day after Thanksgiving, and some of the sweeps results are already out.

Here in Chicago, the Cubs not only beat the Indians, but they also clobbered the late newscasts of 4 stations. The skewed numbers and diminished viewership on 5 metered night led to WLS reclaiming the demo title (by a tenth of a percent) after 14 sweeps periods, in addition to their usual total viewer victory at 10. They were down a little more than a point, as was 2nd place WMAQ. WBBM in third and fourth place WGN remained about the same, but their numbers are already in the toilet in that time slot. WFLD's overall primetime baseball bump led to a 173% increase from 7 to 9 on the same period last year. Other news periods were not published.

At 10pm:

• WLS (ABC 7) - 6.6 (228,558 households)
  • WMAQ (NBC 5) - 5.3 (183,539)
  • WBBM (CBS 2) - 2.5 (86,575)
  • WGN (Ind. 9) - 2.2 (76,186)

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/11/25/abc-7-sweeps-late-news-ratings-november/

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A day after Thanksgiving, and some of the sweeps results are already out.

Here in Chicago, the Cubs not only beat the Indians, but they also clobbered the late newscasts of 4 stations. The skewed numbers and diminished viewership on 5 metered night led to WLS reclaiming the demo title (by a tenth of a percent) after 14 sweeps periods, in addition to their usual total viewer victory at 10. They were down a little more than a point, as was 2nd place WMAQ. WBBM in third and fourth place WGN remained about the same, but their numbers are already in the toilet in that time slot. WFLD's overall primetime baseball bump led to a 173% increase from 7 to 9 on the same period last year. Other news periods were not published.

At 10pm:

• WLS (ABC 7) - 6.6 (228,558 households)
  • WMAQ (NBC 5) - 5.3 (183,539)
  • WBBM (CBS 2) - 2.5 (86,575)
  • WGN (Ind. 9) - 2.2 (76,186)

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/11/25/abc-7-sweeps-late-news-ratings-november/

The audience is declining...

Because cord cutting is becoming increasingly popular. I myself prefer watching youtube videos over watching traditional tv, let alone cable.

Finding it very hard to cord-cut without resulting to the black magic of piracy/using unauthorized streaming sites, which I really prefer NOT to do, nor will I ever do. Mainly because the legal sites (such as Hulu) have months-old episodes and getting the latest episodes can get expensive for $1.99 a pop.

Finding it very hard to cord-cut without resulting to the black magic of piracy/using unauthorized streaming sites, which I really prefer NOT to do, nor will I ever do. Mainly because the legal sites (such as Hulu) have months-old episodes and getting the latest episodes can get expensive for $1.99 a pop.
Which is part of the reason why OTA will still be around for a while. Still, if you want to cut the cord, amazon prime and/or google play movies and tv are the easiest ways to start.

Anyway, any ratings for DFW, Houston, San Antonio, or Austin?

Because cord cutting is becoming increasingly popular. I myself prefer watching youtube videos over watching traditional tv, let alone cable.

No... for local channels that's not a factor. Fewer Americans get their news from TV News than from any other... you know the rest...

KXAS had a great November, but KDFW is still the 800-lb gorilla in the mornings in Dallas.

http://unclebarky.com/dfw_files/d87557ecdfe96a659e3aae0efc432bce-3821.html

KXAS has come a long way from the pre-Comcast days. Now that Tegnaitis is starting to set in at WFAA, this is prime opportunity for KTVT to step in and send News8 to the ratings basement.

KXAS had a great November, but KDFW is still the 800-lb gorilla in the mornings in Dallas.

http://unclebarky.com/dfw_files/d87557ecdfe96a659e3aae0efc432bce-3821.html

I had a chance to visit DFW recently and I must say that NBC5 had the best on air presentation of all of the stations within the market.

Good day to me seemed bland but I guess its a habit of many North Texans to watch it in the morning.

WREG won most of the timeslots in November with the exception of the 9am hour (WHBQ won) and 6pm (WMC-TV won).

http://wreg.com/2016/11/25/news-channel-3-builds-on-ratings-success-winning-morning-noon-4-430-5-10-p-m-and-weekend-newscasts/

So all the Cox changes haven't shifted WHBQ's numbers? Wonder what demos are...

I assume WTHR is #1 as usual in Indy, or have they not been #1 for a while? Been out of the loop and don't know how WTHR ranks nowadays.

I have not seen any really good ratings reports for quite a while for Indy.

I assume WTHR is #1 as usual in Indy, or have they not been #1 for a while? Been out of the loop and don't know how WTHR ranks nowadays.

I thought I saw an article back in Feburary that had ratings. WTHR was still king, WXIN still a solid second, and then it was a mess after that.

No Boston numbers yet. I'll predict another month of WCVB/WHDH splitting the top spot in the morning/midday, WCVB leading across the afternoon and probably 11 PM, and WFXT leading spots where they're the only ones with local news.

Poor WBZ, as always.

How did the stations in Cleveland do?

I have a feeling WJW was #1 thanks to Dick Goddard's retirement and the World Series.

My guess is also this:

2. WKYC

3. WEWS

4. WOIO/WUAB

(I'm cool with just seeing the rankings)

Could you say KPRC has come a long way from its 'dark ages' as well, like KXAS?

Ah, yes. Those were the days when pretty much any news about KPRC would cause half of the people here or at radiodiscussion.com to beg NBC to buy it.

Archived