San Diego CW affiliation moving from XETV to KFMB

AKA

How do the CBSTM local updates work? Is it simulcast on both CBS and CW?

I'm guessing weather would be taped and it would be shot in the newsroom for updates?

What a sad downgrade for that set.

KNSD did a better job when they took over the CW.

KFMB sure wasn't ready for this. *facepalm*

With KPIX, they have "Nightbeat." But on the weekends they do a normal newscast by KPIX.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's odd. Just looked at my recording for KFMB-CW, and they were doing the morning show on the main set.

It's bizzare, but maybe they're going to use it for the evening broadcasts? Either way, I think that if they really wanted to have a secondary set, then they should have parked this desk in the newsroom and done a newscast from there. But whatever, it's not my $14.99 being thrown away for a cheap ass set.

It's bizzare, but maybe they're going to use it for the evening broadcasts?

Makes sense to me. Guessing this new set for CW isn't in the same studio as the main news set, and it doesn't make sense to have the anchors run to the CW set in the 2 minutes between the morning show and 7:00am. (If there even is a break these days—I think KPIX rolls right into CBS This Morning without a break.)

Makes sense to me. Guessing this new set for CW isn't in the same studio as the main news set, and it doesn't make sense to have the anchors run to the CW set in the 2 minutes between the morning show and 7:00am. (If there even is a break these days—I think KPIX rolls right into CBS This Morning without a break.)

The same can be said if you have the same anchors at 6:30pm show jumping into 7pm show on 8.2.

It's the same studio. They just converted the rarely used interview set with the chairs as the CW set.

Notice how zoo day, pet day, cooking day, stand ups are mostly done from the sidewall

Canal 5 (XETV) is currently airing a Nickelodeon show (in English). I thought they wanted to go Spanish?

Also KFMB is not using that new logo or that small set (yet). Maybe they will at 7p.

Directv is not carrying KFMB-CW in HD so those subscribers will be downgrading from their HD XETV broadcast. Directv is now using KTLA as their west coast CW DNS station (they didn't switch to KFMB-CW when they dumped XETV)

One last note for tonight: cw6sandiego.com has also officially shut down.

RIP Bay City Television

They could've at least gave KFMB that old url so it could be redirected to the new CW site, instead of just having a blank screen. It's just strange that the website was operating a few hours ago (just as the new CW site just launched) you would think the old site would still linger after the midnight sign-off.

Bay City Television

cw6sandiego.com has redirected to thecwsandiego.com for now.

Canal 5 (XETV) is currently airing a Nickelodeon show (in English). I thought they wanted to go Spanish?

Also KFMB is not using that new logo or that small set (yet). Maybe they will at 7p.

Directv is not carrying KFMB-CW in HD so those subscribers will be downgrading from their HD XETV broadcast. Directv is now using KTLA as their west coast CW DNS station (they didn't switch to KFMB-CW when they dumped XETV)

C5 has Nickelodeon shows (as well as plenty of stuff most Americans wouldn't expect to see on broadcast TV) — it is, after all, Televisa's "import network". There might be an SAP issue - C5 runs SAP for a lot of its shows and I wonder if it's defaulting to English for you.

Still on the main set for the 7 O'clock newscast on CW. They added a small CW San Diego logo on the bottom right corner on the front of the desk on the screen. No mention at all of the added newscast during their 6 PM newscast either, unlike this morning where they couldn't stop talking about it.

Not sure if this is new or not, but they have this "Reporter Roundup" segment airing for around 2 min just before the first break, showing clips of their reporters talking briefly about their stories. Tacky if you ask me, obviously just to fill the time.

No cross promotion of either channel's newscasts, whatsoever. Picture quality looks a bit fuzzy--which is to be expected but there are instances where it gets fuzzy, then clears up nicely. The real test will be when they pre-empt their regularly scheduled newscasts on CBS and are pushed back to the time that newscasts air on the CW--will they simulcast?

And Bill Ratner has a mouthful he has to say during the open.... "You're watching San Diego's Breaking News Leader, this is News 8 at 7 o'clock on the CW San Diego." Yeesh.

No cross promotion of either channel's newscasts, whatsoever. Picture quality looks a bit fuzzy--which is to be expected but there are instances where it gets fuzzy, then clears up nicely. The real test will be when they pre-empt their regularly scheduled newscasts on CBS and are pushed back to the time that newscasts air on the CW--will they simulcast?

And Bill Ratner has a mouthful he has to say during the open.... "You're watching San Diego's Breaking News Leader, this is News 8 at 7 o'clock on the CW San Diego." Yeesh.

Did they also modify all the CBS opens and dropped the eye in replace with "NEWS?"

Did they also modify all the CBS opens and dropped the eye in replace with "NEWS?"

Yes. They're basically using that NEWS 8 logo on the front of the desk and putting it in the opens. The CBS News 8 opens have stayed the same...for now.

Wasn't the sharp video wall some sort of product placement. I seem to recall seeing the logo mentioned in the end credits like you would see the local hair salon in Miami.

That mention was a "Thank you" to Sharp because they replaced a cracked monitor at no cost briefly after the wall was installed.

Dish Network does not appear to be carrying KFMB's CW. Which means Dish Network customers are left without a CW station. Can anyone who has Dish Network confirm this to be true?

According to this, it should be; Screener/Zap2It does show it on 6 and 6411. But I don't depend on Dish Network's actual tools for anything; they're always a mess that updates sporadically and basically is less information, more selling you even to search for remote codes.

• 1 month later...

So it seems like KFMB is in another pissing match with DirecTV. They're running promos urging viewers to contact the sat company to put KFMB's CW subchannel in HD. Not sure what this spat is over--money, or bandwidth, etc. Either way, both sides don't exactly have the best relationship with one another. Let's see how long this drags on.

Smart on directv's part. Maybe they can renegotiate CBS's cost.

Dish doesn't seem to be carrying the CW sub at all. KFMB should sort of focus on that as many viewers can't see their CW channel. Are they not required to since it IS a subchannel?

Smart on directv's part. Maybe they can renegotiate CBS's cost.

Dish doesn't seem to be carrying the CW sub at all. KFMB should sort of focus on that as many viewers can't see their CW channel. Are they not required to since it IS a subchannel?

Oh, I doubt they'll renegotiate the KFMB's CBS fees. That would set dangerous precedent for the station especially if the other video providers in the market were to find out-- they'd want to renegotiate their deals as well for terms favorable to the video providers.

CBS expects $XX amount in retrans fees from their affiliates. They don't care how that money comes in, as long as they get paid. KFMB or any other tv station for that matter, will not go into debt just to charge less, knowing full well what CBS wants them to pay.

One of the problem facing 8 is that they don't have the leverage to extract the most amount of money possible for retrans fees. This is one of the downfalls of being part of a small family-owned group.

One of the problem facing 8 is that they don't have the leverage to extract the most amount of money possible for retrans fees. This is one of the downfalls of being part of a small family-owned group.

Well lookie at all the money they "saved" not doing any promotion....

I guess someone overlooked the HD thing?

Derrrrrr

Well lookie at all the money they "saved" not doing any promotion....

I guess someone overlooked the HD thing?

Derrrrrr

Add another to the list of CW to KFMB mishaps...

• 1 month later...
Looks like Mr. Scott Jones of FTVLive fame decided to rip off your post/image and post it on his site...

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/8/23/thats-a-big-drop

Was she an anchor (FTVLive) or a reporter (Eat News)?

Reporter in SD to anchor in Yuma, not as big a drop as Anchor in SD to Anchor/Reporter in Yuma... (somehow, I bet you don't just anchor in Yuma, but also grind the coffee, report on events, sell some ads, "Say Hello!" to folks - as they enter the store, er I mean Station...)...

J

Was she an anchor (FTVLive) or a reporter (Eat News)?

Reporter in SD to anchor in Yuma, not as big a drop as Anchor in SD to Anchor/Reporter in Yuma... (somehow, I bet you don't just anchor in Yuma, but also grind the coffee, report on events, sell some ads, "Say Hello!" to folks - as they enter the store, er I mean Station...)...

J

She was a reporter/ producer that also got to do some anchor fill-in. She actually looks like an adult at KYMA since she is surrounded by....Yutes.

What do you want to bet that she is commuting that god awful commute to Yuma from San Diego (3 hours total with 2 hours in stinky desert.)

KYMA is like a giant bug catcher...you just NEVER know who is gonna pop up there. For many washed out reporters it's the last stop....not the first.

But Jenny will be fine...hell in 6 weeks she will be the ND I bet.

Looks like Mr. Scott Jones of FTVLive fame decided to rip off your post/image and post it on his site...

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/8/23/thats-a-big-drop

It's ok...

We had it here first on TVNT.

I actually think we share a few sources and contacts ( "The Twins") because this is the second time in just this month that happened.

I have never met Scott Jones nor ever really had any conversations with him.

As long as it's accurate then I'm cool with it.

Archived