Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

http://marketrealist.com/2017/05/is-the-way-clear-for-sinclair-tribune-merger/

According to FierceCable. The stations’ reach is about 1.0% of the US national TV market. Sinclair’s stations cover 24% of the national market, according to Bloomberg. Tribune reaches 26% of the country, which shows the companies would be required to divest themselves of some stations to gain regulatory approval for their merger.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://marketrealist.com/2017/05/is-the-way-clear-for-sinclair-tribune-merger/

According to FierceCable. The stations’ reach is about 1.0% of the US national TV market. Sinclair’s stations cover 24% of the national market, according to Bloomberg. Tribune reaches 26% of the country, which shows the companies would be required to divest themselves of some stations to gain regulatory approval for their merger.

Really now? First I've heard of this... :rolleyes:

Really now? First I've heard of this... :rolleyes:

And that's just even WITH the UHF discount they're still over the 39% cap by at leat 2-5% so that "No impact on overall competition" that Chris Ripley said during the conference call was a lie sure he may be able to get by in Des Moines, Richmond and maybe Grand Rapids-Kalamazzo with shelling one of the stations to one or two of their shell companies (like Deerfield and Cunningham) but do you think the regulators will allow Seattle, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, Grennsboro and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to have ALL of the local news be controlled by ONE company? I don't think so!

BTW I need to message you, Weeters!

An update from Deadline Hollywood regarding WGN America's lone scripted program that's left, Underground.

Fearing that the writing is already on the wall, the producers apparantly have shopped it around to other outlets including the OWN network and SVOD service Hulu (which already have the show's streaming rights).

Sinclair have said when the Tribune deal was announced that they were poised to eliminate expensive originals on the network, and replace them with low-budgeted originals & reruns.

The article said to expect a decision about the show's future by the upcoming week.

And update from Deadline Hollywood regarding WGN America's lone scripted program that's left, Underground.

Fearing that the writing is already on the wall, the producers apparantly have shopped it around to other outlets including the OWN network and SVOD service Hulu (which already have the show's streaming rights).

Sinclair have said when the Tribune deal was announced that they were poised to eliminate expensive originals on the network, and replace them with low-budgeted originals & reruns.

The article said to expect a decision about the show's future by the upcoming week.

I would be shocked if that show doesn't get cancelled because Sinclair wants to replace scripted programs with cheap programs (Chris Ripley said that he would do that) and now possibly he may have done that, just have to wait and see though

Although I do hope that maybe Hulu will pick that show up

And update from Deadline Hollywood regarding WGN America's lone scripted program that's left, Underground.

Fearing that the writing is already on the wall, the producers apparantly have shopped it around to other outlets including the OWN network and SVOD service Hulu (which already have the show's streaming rights). Sinclair have said when the Tribune deal was announced that they were poised to eliminate expensive originals on the network, and replace them with low-budgeted originals & reruns. The article said to expect a decision about the show's future by the upcoming week.

It was pretty clear that 'Underground' wasn't going to continue on WGNA regardless of who owned the network. Tribune pulled the plug on both 'Salem' and 'Outsiders' and 'Underground' was, no doubt, next on the list. This show doesn't fit within the Sinclair mindset/value system/whatever you want to call it. And even if it were to stay on WGNA, I can't imagine Sinclair not wanting to provide some 'creative notes' to the show's producers. It's better off on another network/streaming service.

Remember David Heller?

How could one forget... I just hope all these interesting characters don't end up merging into one big mutant creature...

Or one of many, many sock puppets...

There seem to have been many users that registered a few years ago and have been dormant. Then all the sudden they seem to be posting again.

^^I'm assuming this guy is Mardek...?

Sadly, they are two different people.

There seem to have been many users that registered a few years ago and have been dormant. Then all the sudden they seem to be posting again.

The Sinclair/Tribune announcement awoke them.

Well is sure does keep things interesting...

Each set of puppets has their own triggers that seem to spin them up.

They seem pretty harmless though.

Sadly, they are two different people.

The Sinclair/Tribune announcement awoke them.

Damn. The postings/rants sound very similar. Must be mardek's cousin from Oklahoma...

Well is sure does keep things interesting...

Each set of puppets has their own triggers that seem to spin them up.

They seem pretty harmless though.

Don't jinx it Eat. They said Chucky was harmless and look at what happened...

There could be a reason why the haven't posted the paperwork (comprehensive exhibit, asset purchase agreement, etc.) yet.

I could be wrong, but my thinking is they might be waiting on the reinstatement of the UHF Discount to go in effect to post it, which is June 5.

This is "probably" the one of longest stretches of time between the formal announcement and posting of the paperwork.

I took some pictures of the building that Tribune is constructing for KFOR/KAUT in Oklahoma City. The question will be, who'll eventually get the keys to the building when the dust settles with this merger.20170528_180408017_iOS.thumb.jpg.31b2e0f9e1f3cea4186f51114971addc.jpg

20170528_180404880_iOS.thumb.jpg.f68f8a45391f69d87fcff7915de41496.jpg

20170528_180411219_iOS.thumb.jpg.e9ad31d72a223c8bbaa4e093e2f14e10.jpg

20170528_180412987_iOS.thumb.jpg.f093dfe3bb6e7513af74fe033d00a349.jpg

20170528_180441547_iOS.thumb.jpg.a886389a856c443580627b1cd56e91dd.jpg

20170528_180443882_iOS.thumb.jpg.b9ed05428bcdaeac01cecca2635e48de.jpg

I took some pictures of the building that Tribune is constructing for KFOR/KAUT in Oklahoma City. The question will be, who'll eventually get the keys to the building when the dust settles with this merger.[ATTACH=full]4049[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]4050[/ATTACH]

How does it compare to the KWTV or KOCO facilities? If it turns out surplus, would one of them get a bonus by moving there?

How does it compare to the KWTV or KOCO facilities? If it turns out surplus, would one of them get a bonus by moving there?

I believe that the KOKH/KOCB facility is more antiquated, thus I can see them moving in with KFOR/KAUT should the FCC somehow allow a quadopoly, which we pray will not happen.

I believe that the KOKH/KOCB facility is more antiquated, thus I can see them moving in with KFOR/KAUT should the FCC somehow allow a quadopoly, which we pray will not happen.

Let's hope Sinclair should keep KOKH Fox 25 and KOCB CW 34 with KFOR NewsChannel 4 NBC and KAUT Freedom 43 being sold to a different company other than NBCUniversal or 21st Century Fox. I also hope Sinclair would keep Seattle's KOMO 4 ABC and KUNS 51 Univision and that 21CF would buy KCPQ and KZJO. Don't get me wrong, for I'm among those who hope for more than one network-owned television station in Seattle; the only one is the CBS-owned KSTW CW 11.

Archived