Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

I believe that the KOKH/KOCB facility is more antiquated, thus I can see them moving in with KFOR/KAUT should the FCC somehow allow a quadopoly, which we pray will not happen.

You should support the quadopoly...here is why....

Carbon Footprint: it's reduced when stations share space....less electricity.

Better Coverage: When 4 news departments are merged into one, it reduces mistakes and station embarrassment.

Less Legal Fees: Stations save on legal fees when merged. Why sue 4 stations when you can just sue one?

Taxes!!! The merger would be taxed...and all that money the state would make could feed many hungry prairie children.

Look they all cover the same crap each day. They just steal it from the newspaper web sites so nobody will notice...except the newspaper people.

Go Quad 2018!!!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe that the KOKH/KOCB facility is more antiquated, thus I can see them moving in with KFOR/KAUT should the FCC somehow allow a quadopoly, which we pray will not happen.

Or, if need be, swapping buildings so they get to keep the new one no matter which stations they keep.

Actually what Sinclair should do IF the FCC allows a quadropoly to happen is just take KFOR-KAUT's existient building and just renovate it to house KOKH's News Department this way neither KFOR's or KOKH's news staffs get laid off and they get to keep their jobs

Or, if need be, swapping buildings so they get to keep the new one no matter which stations they keep.

I think the best chance of swapping anything, would be swapping out duopolies (KOCB goes with KFOR and KAUT goes with KOKH) but even that is unlikely because you have the logistics of moving one another's sales departments, equipment, master control rooms, etc.

Well, there goes hope for more than one network-owned television station in Seattle. Well, the agreement between the Tribune Media Company and 21st Century Fox, Inc. for KCPQ to remain affiliated with the Fox network does expire in 2018. In case there is no renewal at all once the agreement ends, then there may be a chance for Tribune Media to sell KCPQ and KZJO to 21CF before the Sinclair Broadcast Group's acquisition of Tribune Media is complete. Fingers crossed. Just saying.

There seem to have been many users that registered a few years ago and have been dormant. Then all the sudden they seem to be posting again.

CONSPIRACY ALERT!!

The Kremli... I mean Sinclair has infiltrated TVNT and is using troll accounts (I call them Clairbots) to meddle in the 2017 electio... I mean meddle in our rational discussions in an attempt to make us like TASS... I mean Sinclairibune Broadcasting.

CONSPIRACY ALERT!!

The Kremli... I mean Sinclair has infiltrated TVNT and is using troll accounts (I call them Clairbots).

Clairbots???

That's pretty good..

Ok...you made me laugh with that one.

CONSPIRACY ALERT!!

The Kremli... I mean Sinclair has infiltrated TVNT and is using troll accounts (I call them Clairbots) to meddle in the 2017 electio... I mean meddle in our rational discussions in an attempt to make us like TASS... I mean Sinclairibune Broadcasting.

In honor of Eat News, let's call them "ChumBots" (not to be confused with ChumCity).

While I'm not so crazy on totally blocking certain things through federal judges, this isn't one of them. This is good.

I hope there's a good outcome.

While I'm not so crazy on totally blocking certain things through federal judges, this isn't one of them. This is good.

I hope there's a good outcome.

One thing I do hope the judges tell Sinclair is that they have to divest stations and not try to evade FCC rules and regulations (of course Sinclair will argue that they want to control any and all TV stations and they think that they have every right to bypass FCC rules and regulations)

Senate Democrats want to have a hearing with Sinclair regarding the merger, citing concerns that they'll be too big. Sinclair said that they're excited and look forward to telling Democrats that there will be nothing but benefits.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/sinclair-senate-dems-lets-talk/166294#.WTXTYGH2hCM.mailto

Senate Democrats want to have a hearing with Sinclair regarding the merger, citing concerns that they'll be too big. Sinclair said that they're excited and look forward to telling Democrats that there will be nothing but benefits.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/sinclair-senate-dems-lets-talk/166294#.WTXTYGH2hCM.mailto

The House Democrats want to have a similar hearing. But typically, they don't holds those kinds of hearings. But can't be surprised about their request.

Sinclair (and Nexstar) are already to big of a company....heck Nexstar even tried to bid for Tribune....

The advocacy groups (Free Press, Prometheus Radio Project, etc.) filed last month to repeal the FCC's April ruling to reinstate of the UHF Discount. The groups asked the FCC to stay the decision, while its getting reviewed by the courts. FCC didn't budge. So the groups went to the D.C. Circuit to request for an "emergency" stay, so the reinstatement would've been on hold until after a thorough review of the case is completed. The D.C. circuit rejected that stay request today.

Hadn't they approved its stay request, the UHF Discount would've been on indefinite hold, until after the thorough review is completed. And that could've jeopardize the Sinclair-Tribune deal, because no telling how long the review process would last.

Now even though the courts rejected the groups stay request today, that doesn't mean that their case to repeal the loophole is over.

It would be a major clusterfuck if deals are getting greenlighted by the FCC, and then the courts rules in favor of the advocacy groups when the review process is done. The broadcasters would then be forced to divest their stations to go back to the cap (without the loophole).

Sinclair may be about to take over Tribune (pending government approval, of course) but that doesn't mean they're calling the shots at Tribune stations. That distinction has meant little to Scott Jones, at least until today...

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/6/14/dear-mr-jones

Sinclair will sue Scott Jones out of existence for libel and slander, and use their stations to air hate-filled pieces condemning him and his family, disclosing private information including his personal address and phone numbers.

And they'll get away with it, cause they are Sinclair, and you're not. They now possess the weapons to destroy lives.

So after the Trib gutted all of its original scripted programs on WGN America, they've released the cable networks's president Matt Cherniss.

Gavin Harvey will be his replacement. No word if Harvey will be there post-acquisition, should it reach that point.

I know its too late to say it now but I hope Harvey can bring back WGN News and Sports on WGN America. That's what the channel is for.

Here is another example of how Sinclair's conservative values make its way into a newscast. Saturday morning on WJAR (NBC Providence) they ran the story about the RI Educator of the Year's photo with POTUS and wife and how it spread through the internet. (The educator wears a rainbow pin and used a hand fan). All other media outlets (print, TV and digital) called it a viral video. WJAR said it was a controversial video.

Here is another example of how Sinclair's conservative values make its way into a newscast. Saturday morning on WJAR (NBC Providence) they ran the story about the RI Educator of the Year's photo with POTUS and wife and how it spread through the internet. (The educator wears a rainbow pin and used a hand fan). All other media outlets (print, TV and digital) called it a viral video. WJAR said it was a controversial video.

Here's a link to their coverage:

http://turnto10.com/news/local/teachers-photo-showing-lgbt-pride-next-to-trump-goes-viral

I know its too late to say it now but I hope Harvey can bring back WGN News and Sports on WGN America. That's what the channel is for.

Agreed. I know it's a long shot, but I'd love to see their news back on WGNA!

Archived