Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

[ATTACH=full]4172[/ATTACH] Let's take a moment to enjoy this beautiful picture of a great news operation and tv station on the Northcoast.

It's primo land on the lakefront. Sinclair can and will sell that Storer-built palace to the highest bidder and move to the transmitter site back in Amrap... err, Parma.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I caught the last few seconds of it last night, but while in the middle of their 10pm newscast, FOX43 WPMT had a announcement announcing what I believe was the names of Tribune board members and also a Sinclair member or two. Very slow scroll. Maybe this has to be part of the merger.

Any other Trib stations did this?

-- Matt

WJW did post a basic Public Notice of Sale; news89 managed to get a screenshot for me.

IMG_2563.thumb.JPG.f0a0277399dabe09d83700bc7d6060e8.JPG

Speaking of the devil, old Boris did his editorial defending that "Terror Alert" segment, after John Oliver, in that
, called it "nonsense".

Video Courtesy of Boris Epshteyn's YT Page

John Oliver's segment came too little, too late. You have to pay extra to watch HBO, and he attracts a niche audience. Sinclair is free-to-air and can saturate with editorials condemning Oliver in their deeply red markets where they control the information.

Who is John Q. Bumpkin in rural Ohio going to believe? John Oliver - someone whom he has never watched, and dismisses outright as a liberal - or a political operative disguised as a straight-laced editorialist by his employer?

Enjoy it while you can. Once the Heathens of Hunt Valley take over, that all she wrote.

Speaking of the devil, old Boris did his editorial defending that "Terror Alert" segment, after John Oliver, in that

, called it "nonsense".

Video Courtesy of Boris Epshteyn's YT Page

And now they're playing the Fox card, telling their employees not to speak to outside media. They're still going to get negative press regardless if employees speak or not.

Bullshit like this is going to air on WPIX, KTLA, and WGN daily. Gag me.

Bullshit like this is going to air on WPIX, KTLA, and WGN daily. Gag me.

Lets be fair here...

The conservative voices have not been heard in the media for almost 30 years....except for FOX news Channel..

All the networks have a bully pulpit that's mostly liberal...now that is changing.

Why would one object to fairness?

Lets be fair here...

The conservative voices have not been heard in the media for almost 30 years....except for FOX news Channel..

All the networks have a bully pulpit that's mostly liberal...now that is changing.

Why would one object to fairness?

That's like comparing apples to lawn furniture.

Sinclair has every right in the world to use Ailesian tactics to advance their board members' Republican agenda and criminalize Democrats. It worked for Fox News, who managed to get a sizable chunk of people to believe their stories about an untrustworthy mass media (aided in part by Dan Rather's unbelievable stupidity). But that comes at the expense of a populace who gets further divided and devoid of trust among each other.

You're seeing that level of distrust already between people solely if they have a (D) or an ® next to their name. Political moderates - who should not be lumped in with those apathetic to the system or equally hyperpartisan third-party folk - are an endangered species. Outside of a precious few, they aren't speaking up and are likely afraid to say anything, lest they be drowned out among the loud noises. Tom Wilson and Ana Navarro have zero clout in their own party and are generally ignored except for public appearances and op-ed columns they write.

As it stands, Republicans will hoist Sinclair up on their own petards as the localized, spiritual successor to the Ailes era of Fox News. Democrats will label Sinclair as Public Enemy #1 and will go after them. The fight will be a draw... nothing will change, and things only get worse from here.

Name me a point - any point - in recorded history where that level of divisiveness and resentment between a country's populace hasn't eventually ended in outright disaster.

That's like comparing apples to lawn furniture.

Name me a point - any point - in recorded history where that level of divisiveness and resentment between a country's populace hasn't eventually ended in outright disaster.

I'm done....I made my point.

I caught the last few seconds of it last night, but while in the middle of their 10pm newscast, FOX43 WPMT had a announcement announcing what I believe was the names of Tribune board members and also a Sinclair member or two. Very slow scroll. Maybe this has to be part of the merger.

-- Matt

And can anyone post YouTube links to that announcement?

-- Matt

They all have to carry that notice on-air, it's required as part of the FCC disclosure of the sale (WTVJ had to when Post-Newsweek attempted and failed to buy them to duopoly with WPLG), where anyone with a stock interest in the sale is named. Going to see if WITI carries the same disclosure tonight.

They all have to carry that notice on-air, it's required as part of the FCC disclosure of the sale (WTVJ had to when Post-Newsweek attempted and failed to buy them to duopoly with WPLG), where anyone with a stock interest in the sale is named. Going to see if WITI carries the same disclosure tonight.

Public notices have been going on for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUzHQLl3glw

(Yes, that Neil Armstrong!)

A more recent example...

(Apparently News Corp. has a connection to the former Prime Minister of Spain and the former President of Colombia.)

You'll also see these for license renewals.

Were there public notices for stations that a resale was likely for? For example, did WSLS have a public notice for the Nexstar acquisition of Media General, even though it was pretty much a sure bet Nexstar wasn't getting their hands on that station?

Were there public notices for stations that a resale was likely for? For example, did WSLS have a public notice for the Nexstar acquisition of Media General, even though it was pretty much a sure bet Nexstar wasn't getting their hands on that station?

If you look at the WSLS sample, you'll see it also mentions the acquisition and Nexstar folks like Perry Sook.

It probably depends on if an application is filed for the station in question.

Public notices have been going on for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUzHQLl3glw

(Yes, that Neil Armstrong!)

A more recent example...

(Apparently News Corp. has a connection to the former Prime Minister of Spain and the former President of Colombia.)

You'll also see these for license renewals.

Not a surprise with Taft Broadcasting and Neil Armstrong, simply because of the Taft family's deep roots in Ohio. (What would be surprising is if Neil also had stock in rival Cox Broadcasting or with Dispatch.)

If it's true then they have a pretty good argument to block.

Sloppy paperwork or non-accepted accounting practices will and should shut it down.

On a deal this large there is no excuse for shoddy or dishonest applications.

What do you think the end game will be?

Do they go back to square one and start the bidding process all over again, or does Sinclair pony up extra cash to shut these shareholders up?

What do you think the end game will be?

Do they go back to square one and start the bidding process all over again, or does Sinclair pony up extra cash to shut these shareholders up?

My question is this:

If they do win and break up the merger and the bidding process starts all over again which list of companies do you think could bid for Tribune?

My list would be:

TEGNA (With Conflicts in Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo, St. Louis, Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, Denver, Greensboro, Cleveland-Akron, Seattle and New Orleans. Duopolies would be formed in Portland, Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Hampton Roads, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and Washington, D.C.)

Hearst (With Conflicts in Fort Smith-Fayetteville, Oklahoma City, Des Moines, Louisville, New Orleans, Kansas City, Greensboro, Harrisburg-Lancaster, Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto and Milwaukee. No new duopolies would be formed)

Meredith (With Conflicts in St. Louis, Kansas City, Portland and Hartford-New Haven. Again, no new duopolies would be formed)

Scripps (With conflicts in Kansas City, Denver, San Diego, Indianapolis, Cleveland-Akron and Milwaukee. Once again no new duopolies would be formed)

Raycom (With conflicts in Memphis, New Orleans, Richmond-Petersburg and Cleveland-Akron)

Cox Media Group (Conflicts in Memphis and Seattle-Tacoma)

Nexstar (With Conflicts in Fort Smith-Fayetteville, Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo, Quad Cities, IL-IA, Indianapolis, Des Moines, Memphis, Salt Lake City, Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Hampton Roads and Richmond-Petersburg. New duopolies would be formed in Portland and Quad Cities, IL-IA)

The only buyer for Tribune with ZERO conflicts would be Graham.

What's your list of potential bidders for Tribune should the merger with Sinclair be broken up?

Archived