Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

They'll waive as many antitrust issues as possible to make sure Sinclair gets to divest next to nothing. Mark my words.

The fix is in.

Good to hear. Keep me updated so I can send my small bills with untracable serial numbers.

I need that "deduction".

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uh..... The DOJ still has to clear the deal of any antitrust issues, under the Hart-Scott-Rodino act.

They have to get approvals from both.

CircleSeven.....You Vex me so!

Phooey....curses....foiled again!

It certainly does for me here in St. Louis. Sinclair had shut KDNL's news department a few years prior to that but they made sure that we got to see that hit piece on John Kerry.

My first introduction into what a joke Sinclair is.

I moved to St. Louis in 2005, from DMA 1 and was shocked that 1) KDNL had no news department despite being a big 3 network affiliate 2) was not offered in HD at the time 3) the station appeared to be run remotely from somewhere outside the market. That was my introduction to Sinclair. I was happy at the time they stayed away from big market stations. I shutter to think what will happen to the Tribune NY, LA and Chicago stations after the merger.

3) the station appeared to be run remotely from somewhere outside the market

It is run remotely from somewhere outside the market. KDNL's master control is based out of WSYX/WTTE in Columbus. That's why the weather cut-ins during GMA and the Allman Report are done by WSYX/WTTE meteorologists. Other than their sales offices, KDNL doesn't have much of a prescence here in STL. Even The Allman Report is produced by a 3rd party.

Unless they inherit a successful station from a recent merger, Sinclair's track record of success seems to better match stations like KDNL than they do stations like KUTV/WKRC.

It is run remotely from somewhere outside the market. KDNL's master control is based out of WSYX/WTTE in Columbus. That's why the weather cut-ins during GMA and the Allman Report are done by WSYX/WTTE meteorologists. Other than their sales offices, KDNL doesn't have much of a prescence here in STL. Even The Allman Report is produced by a 3rd party.

Unless they inherit a successful station from a recent merger, Sinclair's track record of success seems to better match stations like KDNL than they do stations like KUTV/WKRC.

Even in very conservative markets, most Sinclair stations tend to be laggards in their markets in ratings as well. Other owners like Raycom and Gray are much more successful at bringing viewers to their stations even if the demographics suggest that the Sinclair viewpoints should dominate.

As a company loyalist (he started as a photographer at WBFF when they started producing news in '91), Livingston probably has built a level of trust with his bosses that gives him a lot of immunity.

Unlike Fox, who recruited Roger Ailes from CNBC, Sinclair has a knack of promoting from within.

Scott Livingston is Sinclair's Baghdad Bob.

"Hunt Valley Harry"?

Not sure how we missed this. Mark Hyman's rebuttal to John Oliver.

I finally gathered the stomach to watch that.

After my eyes finally stopped rolling. I notice that he didn't address any of Oliver's criticisms and instead complained about how HBO's parent company makes tons more money than Sinclair and then went on a rant about how Comedians hate Middle America unlike Sinclair.

Because if anyone represents the concerns of us here in "Middle America" it's a bunch of millionaires from Maryland.

Even in very conservative markets, most Sinclair stations tend to be laggards in their markets in ratings as well. Other owners like Raycom and Gray are much more successful at bringing viewers to their stations even if the demographics suggest that the Sinclair viewpoints should dominate.

$inclair is actually an upgrade from KRCG's previous owners (Barrington)

Do they still show those? I was looking at KDNL's schedule a few years and noticed they had both Simpsons and Futurama reruns. AFAIK, It's not uncommon for Big Three stations to have Simpsons repeats (see WOIO, WAGT at one point and KREM at one point) but its usually weekends only on the big 3 stations who show it.

it seems be mostly in smaller markets where legacy Big 3 stations air Simpsons reruns, KOMU runs a Simpsons rerun on Sunday nights after the 10PM news

I finally gathered the stomach to watch that.

After my eyes finally stopped rolling. I notice that he didn't address any of Oliver's criticisms and instead complained about how HBO's parent company makes tons more money than Sinclair and then went on a rant about how Comedians hate Middle America unlike Sinclair.

Because if anyone represents the concerns of us here in "Middle America" it's a bunch of millionaires from Maryland.

I could only read it.

Additionally why do their must runs (save for the Terror Desk) use a crappy backdrop and lower thirds for their commentary?

I could only read it.

Additionally why do their must runs (save for the Terror Desk) use a crappy backdrop and lower thirds for their commentary?

The Epshteyn editorials look like they they use the same graphics as the now-defunct "American News Network" which was distributed to low-powered and religious stations in the early-2000s.

Comments from Newsmax. Clearly against the deal.

Another conservative outlet, OANN, also chimes in - and it isn't friendly to Sinclair. Probably in both cases they fear being bought out later, plus despite their right-wing tendencies, they aren't interested in dictatorship-like power like Sinclair is.

Ain't the plot getting thick now!?

Comments from Newsmax. Clearly against the deal.

Another conservative outlet, OANN, also chimes in - and it isn't friendly to Sinclair. Probably in both cases they fear being bought out later, plus despite their right-wing tendencies, they aren't interested in dictatorship-like power like Sinclair is.

Does anyone seriously think that this will change Crooked Altji Paid Off's mind? Please.

Paid Off will STILL ram this deal through with no divestures, opposition be damned. And Jefferson Beauregard Sessions will be driving the General Lee getaway car.

Does anyone seriously think that this will change Crooked Altji Paid Off's mind? Please.

Seems I'm part of a mutual fund with 300 thousand shares of Sinclair.....

So that Mofo better not change his mind.

Bwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been looking through the FCC database for the engineering data for the spectrum repack, and I've notice most of Sinclair's competitors are buying from Sinclair's Dielectric division for their antennas. You know what Sinclair's competitors have to do for this spectrum repack: not buy Dielectric antennas for their conversions. They're only driving Sinclair's growth. There are options (ERI, for example).

We're I a News Director at a non-legacy Sinclair station, the non-standard graphics and backdrop would help me differentiate between the "commentary" and local news. With the "Terror Desk" segments, isn't everything in front of a giant "Terror Desk" backdrop? (I don't watch the local Sinclair stations (WJLA/Newschannel 8/WBFF), since I have many other choices, preferably WRC and WBAL...)

Do the must runs have to be encapsulated within the newscast, or can (could) a ND run the local newscast, end it, then run the must runs (or possibly run the newscast, close out - but no copyright, air the must runs, and end with a short copyright slide - over an empty studio;-) )

Jim

I could only read it.

Agitprop doesn't need a decent set and graphics. Look at Fox News' graphics packages, which are generally horrid and ugly.

Do the must runs have to be encapsulated within the newscast, or can (could) a ND run the local newscast, end it, then run the must runs (or possibly run the newscast, close out - but no copyright, air the must runs, and end with a short copyright slide - over an empty studio;-) )

The times I watch WBFF at night it's usually between 10:45 & 10:50 in the middle of a commercial block. I believe they don't event put their chyron logo or lower thirds up. I think there's a copyright before they do the separate scheduled sports block.

I've been looking through the FCC database for the engineering data for the spectrum repack, and I've notice most of Sinclair's competitors are buying from Sinclair's Dielectric division for their antennas. You know what Sinclair's competitors have to do for this spectrum repack: not buy Dielectric antennas for their conversions. They're only driving Sinclair's growth. There are options (ERI, for example).

Get the dude from KYES to build the antennas for the conversion...2 problems solved there.

One thing is for sure, Sinclair is acting like both a gigantic bully and a whiny baby through all of this, especially with their memos and must-runs attacking the competition and critics.

Kinda like a certain guy in the White House.

Archived