Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Sinclair will be happy to sell anyone airtime with opposing opinions...just like any other station group will.

Sounds like the "right" is staking claim...just like the "left" does.

Sinclair is not going away...it's clear they are in for the fight.

Consider that every single newsroom rips-off stories from the New York Times, WAPO and other very liberal publications on a daily basis.

More power to them.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The amazing thing is that WJW has been sold eight times since Storer Broadcasting, and they've thrived in spite of that instability.

Sale number nine, in which Sinclair forcibly turns WJW into a soulless mouthpiece for the Republican Party capable of brainwashing the populace with fascist doctrine, may not be the charm.

Check the comment section of that article for a surprise.

Check the comment section of that article for a surprise.

Cleveland.com's comments section has been infested with right wing nut jobs for a while. It's why I don't read the comments on that website, ever.

The amazing thing is that WJW has been sold eight times since Storer Broadcasting, and they've thrived in spite of that instability.

Sale number nine, in which Sinclair forcibly turns WJW into a soulless mouthpiece for the Republican Party capable of brainwashing the populace with fascist doctrine, may not be the charm.

KKR, Gillett, SCI, New World, Fox, Local TV, Tribune...

Isn't Sinclair eight?

From today's Cleveland Plain Dealer on Sinclair's pending purchase of WJW and rest of Tribune stations.

http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index.ssf/2017/07/sinclair_purchase_of_channel_8_triggers_concerns_about_local_news_content.html#incart_river_home

A letter from a surburban Portland, ME resident lead the Press-Herald to write their own piece about Sinclair and their "must-runs".

KKR, Gillett, SCI, New World, Fox, Local TV, Tribune...

Isn't Sinclair eight?

Yep. Sinclair would be eight.

Depends on how bad 3, 5, and especially 19 eff up.

I blocked a certain troll because he was not worth arguing with. But his latest trolling was so pathetic, I want to dissect it.

Sinclair will be happy to sell anyone airtime with opposing opinions...just like any other station group will.

That's 100% bullshit. They haven't done that, and they will never do that.

Quite dreaming.

Sounds like the "right" is staking claim...just like the "left" does.

Sinclair is not going away...it's clear they are in for the fight.

The "liberal media" myth is the biggest piece of garbage that Roger Ailes successfully sold to a wide swath of gullible fools.

What has Fox News and talk radio brought us? A voting block of politically illiterates who thought that a thrice-bankrupt venial used-car salesman could be a president and fulfill all of their racist and misogynist wet dreams.

Sinclair wants to break the local political and social order, just like Fox and talk radio broke the national political and social order. Because the only winner is the Republican Party.

You want fascism? Fine. Have at it.

Consider that every single newsroom rips-off stories from the New York Times, WAPO and other very liberal publications on a daily basis.

The NYT and WaPo have their wire news services. And it's cheap misers like the Smith Klan who will only pay for inexperienced people and give them zero resources.

More power to them.

For a right wing troll, you got annoying, really quick. Buh-bye.

Depends on how bad 3, 5, and especially 19 eff up.

WKYC (the market's number two station, even without a noon, 4 or 5 newscast) is already in a promotional campaign that they are a source of trust in an environment of fake news and unreliable information.

Prove to me that's NOT an advanced shot at Sinclair and their Republican agitprop.

I blocked a certain troll because he was not worth arguing with. But his latest trolling was so pathetic, I want to dissect it.

Quite dreaming.

The "liberal media" myth is the biggest piece of garbage that Roger Ailes successfully sold to a wide swath of gullible fools.

"The news and entertainment media loved Gore then and love him now. His silly “Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power” hits national theaters Aug. 4. To ensure the propaganda (Oops, documentary) is successful, Viacom is deploying 10 of its TV outlets to push the film. Viacom, which has “approximately 700 million global subscribers,” is harassing viewers on MTV, VH1, LOGO, Comedy Central, Spike, BET, CMT, TV Land, Nick@Nite and Teen Nick.

MTV will actually air a town hall where, “Gore will be joined by rapper and Miami resident Fat Joe, as well as 17-year-old activist Delaney Reynolds; DJ and fellow Miami-born artist Steve Aoki will act as a correspondent.” Apparently, no sports mascots were also available. "

From the most trusted source in news...

WKYC (the market's number two station, even without a noon, 4 or 5 newscast) is already in a promotional campaign that they are a source of trust in an environment of fake news and unreliable information.

Prove to me that's NOT an advanced shot at Sinclair and their Republican agitprop.

I'm actually glad that WKYC is gearing up for Sinclair taking over at S Marginal. They need to get as many of the Cuyahoga and Summit County viewers as possible because 8 won't fall thanks to the exurb and rural counties i.e. Portage, Geauga, Ashtabula, etc. They're the ones that will keep Fox 8 from slumming with "Hurl 5" and "Snoozefest 19".

I'm actually glad that WKYC is gearing up for Sinclair taking over at S Marginal. They need to get as many of the Cuyahoga and Summit County viewers as possible because 8 won't fall thanks to the exurb and rural counties i.e. Portage, Geauga, Ashtabula, etc. They're the ones that will keep Fox 8 from slumming with "Hurl 5" and "Snoozefest 19".

...until Sinclair fires all the high-priced talent. Their talent roster is huge and the Smith Klan's penny pinching will manifest itself in a bloodbath at South Marginal.

In the end, WJW will be reduced to a Reich-friendly operation that only appeals to the Republican exurbs and rural communities.

The Smith Klan, with their desire to destroy society with their fascist agitprop, will kill the goose with the golden egg.

WKYC has been a very stable station over the last 15 years, even after losing Tim White & Romona Robinson over $$$, and having the Gannett/Tegna mandates being shoved down their throats. Of all of the Tegna stations, they have seemed to be the LEAST affected, given the turmoil and constant changes over at 5 and 19.

Even before the possibility of Sinclair owning WJW ever existed, WKYC had a promo campaign centered around "Report The Facts....Respect The Truth"...

This was back in 2008 before the Great Recession wreaked havoc on the media landscape.

...until Sinclair fires all the high-priced talent. Their talent roster is huge and the Smith Klan's penny pinching will manifest itself in a bloodbath at South Marginal.

In the end, WJW will be reduced to a Reich-friendly operation that only appeals to the Republican exurbs and rural communities.

The Smith Klan, with their desire to destroy society with their fascist agitprop, will kill the goose with the golden egg.

The era of Cleveland TV sucking has begun!

In the end, WJW will be reduced to a Reich-friendly operation that only appeals to the Republican exurbs and rural communities....

The Klan, with their desire to destroy society with their fascist agitprop, will kill the goose with the golden egg.

My apologies to the Reich...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=HPXHRX8Q2hs;t=18

First whats with all the partisan hackery in this thread?

With all the stories that come out about Sinclair (almost weekly) we never hear about the ratings. It would be interesting to compare station ratings from the old owners to stations under Sinclair's ownership (KOMO, KATU ABC33/40, KSNV etc.) The only one I've seen so far was about WJLA and that station has seen increases in some newscasts. Its not hard for writers to get the ratings if these stations ratings are free falling...

With all the stories that come out about Sinclair (almost weekly) we never hear about the ratings. It would be interesting to compare station ratings from the old owners to stations under Sinclair's ownership (KOMO, KATU ABC33/40, KSNV etc.) The only one I've seen so far was about WJLA and that station has seen increases in some newscasts. Its not hard for writers to get the ratings if these stations ratings are free falling...

The ratings book is a confidential report that exist between the ratings company and the client (tv stations).

You (the public) gets to see only what they release...nothing more.

The ratings company is under no obligation to tell YOU (the public) the truth about anything contained in that Report.

So just for fun...

Ask your local TV writer to show you the actual ratings that they are reporting on...they won't...because they can't...because Nielsen and Comscore only release a very small snippet of actual ratings. Your local station can embellish all they want. You don't buy the ad time.

And what is released is useless to anyone...except YOU (the public)...because without the WHOLE ratings breakdown those snippets are useless as a metric.

" We are #1...and you can't prove otherwise!"

That's how it works.

The ratings book is a confidential report that exist between the ratings company and the client (tv stations).

You (the public) gets to see only what they release...nothing more.

The ratings company is under no obligation to tell YOU (the public) the truth about anything contained in that Report.

So just for fun...

Ask your local TV writer to show you the actual ratings that they are reporting on...they won't...because they can't...because Nielsen and Comscore only release a very small snippet of actual ratings. Your local station can embellish all they want. You don't buy the ad time.

And what is released is useless to anyone...except YOU (the public)...because without the WHOLE ratings breakdown those snippets are useless as a metric.

" We are #1...and you can't prove otherwise!"

That's how it works.

Yes, you're 100 percent right but if a Sinclair station is taking a dump in the ratings the worst part of it will get leaked. There is a huge target on Sinclair.

Yes, you're 100 percent right but if a Sinclair station is taking a dump in the ratings the worst part of it will get leaked. There is a huge target on Sinclair.

When a station takes a huge dump in ratings it's obvious...and Sinclair has plenty of shi%&y places to dump.

I'm not here to defend Sinclair, I'm just defending free speech.

Even before the possibility of Sinclair owning WJW ever existed, WKYC had a promo campaign centered around "Report The Facts....Respect The Truth"...

This was back in 2008 before the Great Recession wreaked havoc on the media landscape.

That campaign was a direct response to WOIO and 19 Action News, IIRC, after the infamous "Body of Art" stunt.

It could be that most of TVNT is center-left.

Archived