Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't file either because I just don't care and plus FCC will not listen to those that are complaining there going to approve Sinclair merger with Tribune. Mainstream will always take shots at Sinclair will be back and worth and I said they said type of thing isn't going to change SNL will be ripping Sinclair come fall since that is the in thing to do.

IMHO, The only defense Scott Livingston has is the misstatements of Scott Jones (FTVLive), regarding his claims that KEZI and WPMT were Sinclair stations, when they were stations that are about to be via their Bonten purchase and the planned purchase of Tribune, respectively.

At least FTVLive retracted their claims after the WPMT claim, only after a C&D was filed.

Look what Rush Limbaugh and Fox News has done to us all. It's never been an issue of left or right....it's right or wrong.

MSNBC exists to be the liberal counterpart of FOX News, and CNN has been forever ruined by Jeff Zucker, who has succeeded in destroying NBC, now CNN, and thanks to his endless promotion of "you know who", society as we know it.

Now we have a president who leads the blind and clueless and a station group that tows his line no matter what, at any cost. Thank goodness they have competition that crushes them ratings-wise in most places in the country, not to mention putting out semblances of quality journalism, and investing MORE in their employees to encourage such.

End rant.

He's obviously lying. He can't be that delusional to claim all of this as the truth with a straight face.

... Is he?

Scott Livingston's doing it deliberately. He knows he'll never be held accountable.

And because of this transaction, there appears to be some sort of "falling out" :rolleyes: between the Trump administration and 21CF chairman Rupert Murdoch.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

The relationship between the president and the 21st Century Fox executive chairman has alternated between tumultuous and friendly over the last few decades. But three unflattering stories that appeared in Murdoch-owned papers during the course of a week have raised new questions about whether the media mogul is distancing himself from an increasingly unpopular political figure — and why.

One theory: "There is the beginnings of a fall-out" between Trump and Murdoch, spurred by Sinclair Broadcast Group's May 8 deal to snap up Tribune Media for $3.9 billion, a Washington, D.C.-based individual active in Republican circles and familiar with the president's and key adviser's thinking told The Hollywood Reporter.

Trump, this individual argued, has essentially greenlit the deal, which Murdoch disproves of for competitive reasons. The merger, if approved, would put a large swath of the local television market under Sinclair's control.

"He was surprised that Trump is letting it go through," the individual said of Murdoch, who this person said is no longer speaking to Trump as frequently as he once was. "I hear he's pretty upset with the president."

The theory goes that Trump feels responsible to Sinclair for giving him favorable coverage that helped secure him the election, though this Republican insider said that Sinclair's impact has been overblown. "The Trumps have been sold a bill of goods by Sinclair that somehow they were super important to his election," the person said.

If Rupert felt so duped about the Heathens getting the Trib, they should've submitted a bid then. They could've thwarted Sinclair from getting Tribune. But they sat there. Didn't make any bids. So I don't fault anyone but Murdoch.

If ol' Rupert is so angry at Trump, then he should make a statement and fire Hannity, Eric Bolling, "Judge" Jeannine Pirro, Jesse Watters... just for starters.

He won't, though. We all know he won't.

If ol' Rupert is so angry at Trump, then he should make a statement and fire Hannity, Eric Bolling, "Judge" Jeannine Pirro, Jesse Watters... just for starters.

He won't, though. We all know he won't.

Or just replace the entire WSJ editorial board with NeverTrumpers.

And because of this transaction, there appears to be some sort of "falling out" :rolleyes: between the Trump administration and 21CF chairman Rupert Murdoch.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

If Rupert felt so duped about the Heathens getting the Trib, they should've submitted a bid then. They could've thwarted Sinclair from getting Tribune. But they sat there. Didn't make any bids. So I don't fault anyone but Murdoch.

Agree with this completely. These are the same people who wanted to buy Time Warner. If they had truly cared enough to buy Tribune, they should have done so right then. They could have gotten it.

I wouldn't file either because I just don't care and plus FCC will not listen to those that are complaining there going to approve Sinclair merger with Tribune. Mainstream will always take shots at Sinclair will be back and worth and I said they said type of thing isn't going to change SNL will be ripping Sinclair come fall since that is the in thing to do.

SNL won't dare rip on Sinclair, unless they want a number of NBC affiliates go to "technical difficulties" at the same time during said sketch.

In Milwaukee about the only thing affected would be WITI having to take must-carry segments (and they'll be easily buried in the middle of ad segments on Wake-Up and the 11am news easily or right after their feature segments, since WITI already shovels Tribune's tech update promo in that show; Evil Boris, the Terror Existence Reminder Desk and Mark Hyman will go between their local feature segment and entertainment rundowns at 9pm); WVTV and WCGV (or what will now be known as the 'My 24 intellectual unit' after the license is turned in) are sponges for Sinclair's other must-carry shows (don't expect WITI to take Full Measure, especially pre-gaming before the NFL; they've already shoved NFL Kickoff to their .2) and WITI has a good physical plant which will handle WVTV/WCGV easily. Although there's plenty of other market issues, I honestly have never had problems with Sinclair's Milwaukee operations; they communicate schedule changes very well and have few on-air technical hiccups to speak of.

Sinclair was founded by technical/engineering types, going back to Julian Smith and the Commercial Radio Institute's FM station in Baltimore (sold in the '70s to keep WBFF afloat during its early years). David Smith ran a transmitter manufacturer before joining the family business, and they still have broadcast equipment (Dielectric antennas) in their portfolio. So, they're a competent on the engineering side. News expertise came several years later with the founding of WBFF's news department in the early '90s.

SNL won't dare rip on Sinclair, unless they want a number of NBC affiliates go to "technical difficulties" at the same time during said sketch.

If any show is going to stand up to Sinclair, it will be The Simpsons, who have a special level of insulation within Fox proper. Ditto with Family Guy.

That would be worst than folks at WRAL hitting their "own" censor button.

Fun Fact: WLBT actually had their license revoked in 1970 for outright racial censoring on multiple NBC programs.

for a while, the top rated syndicated program on KDNL was Simpsons reasons

Do they still show those? I was looking at KDNL's schedule a few years and noticed they had both Simpsons and Futurama reruns. AFAIK, It's not uncommon for Big Three stations to have Simpsons repeats (see WOIO, WAGT at one point and KREM at one point) but its usually weekends only on the big 3 stations who show it.

The most ridiculous part of the story was the whole Stephen Colbert/Whoopi Goldberg excuse. What do those people have to do with local newscasts?

And then the company claims it has aired stuff they dont agree with without rebuttal. Does the year 2004 sound familiar?

It certainly does for me here in St. Louis. Sinclair had shut KDNL's news department a few years prior to that but they made sure that we got to see that hit piece on John Kerry.

My first introduction into what a joke Sinclair is.

Do they still show those? I was looking at KDNL's schedule a few years and noticed they had both Simpsons and Futurama reruns. AFAIK, It's not uncommon for Big Three stations to have Simpsons repeats (see WOIO, WAGT at one point and KREM at one point) but its usually weekends only on the big 3 statioms who show it.

KDNL's syndication rights to the Simpsons goes back to the days it was still a Fox affiliate.

KDNL still shows a rerun of the Simpsons but not until 1:00am or so. They used to have an hour long block of the Simpsons at 6pm which was in fact their highest rated program outside of the ABC network programming. Not sure how the syndicated fare that is currently there at 6pm (either Family Feud or Modern Family) is faring by comparison.

Scott Livingston's doing it deliberately. He knows he'll never be held accountable.

As a company loyalist (he started as a photographer at WBFF when they started producing news in '91), Livingston probably has built a level of trust with his bosses that gives him a lot of immunity.

Unlike Fox, who recruited Roger Ailes from CNBC, Sinclair has a knack of promoting from within.

Started reading it this morning. The more attention the better! I noticed that some idiot in charge of Sinclair said they'd be doing community service if they caused minor controversy. Umm...okay?

It is an exceptionally damning indictment against Sinclair and David Smith, and deservedly so.

Won't matter, though. The FCC will give this illegitimate merger the biggest rubber stamp possible. This piece was published much too late to have any effect, as Crooked Altji I. M. Paid Off will 100% live up to his sorry name.

This deal is not in front of DOJ...it's in front of the FCC.

Not enough meat on the bone for a decent bribe.

Uh..... The DOJ still has to clear the deal of any antitrust issues, under the Hart-Scott-Rodino act.

They have to get approvals from both.

This deal is not in front of DOJ...it's in front of the FCC.

Not enough meat on the bone for a decent bribe.

Paid Off was a former Verizon lobbyist. He only cares about the Benjamins.

Uh..... The DOJ still has to clear the deal of any antitrust issues, under the Hart-Scott-Rodino act.

They have to get approvals from both.

Who is the head of the DOJ? Ah, that's right... Jefferson Beauregard Sessions.** A racist POS who lied about his ties to a foreign country during his own confirmation hearing - and got confirmed anyway.

They'll waive as many antitrust issues as possible to make sure Sinclair gets to divest next to nothing. Mark my words.

The fix is in.

**Until Trump fires Sessions and replaces him with someone equally as demented, racist and above the law. Same exact result.

Archived