Teams moving in to Vegas

mardek1995

NHL & NFL moving to Sin City, well maybe they can add the NBA to the mix if Vegas wants an NBA team.

In the case of the NHL, Vegas was rewarded an expansion team shortly after their new sports arena was built, so it's not really a relocation to say the least. It'll likely be the same way Vegas gets an NBA team in the long term should the league decide to expand to 32 teams in the future.

The bid for radio rights to the Raiders in Las Vegas is going to get interesting too. I think it's basically going to be between Beasley, CBS, Lotus and possibly iHeart (Not sure how deep Lotus' pockets are though even though they have the best possible station combinations in the market).

We'll have to see who gets the radio rights to the Golden Knights (NHL) and that will probably help determine who has the best shot to get the Raider rights.

UPDATE: Looks like CBS has the current rights via KXTE and KXST. Wonder when their contract with the Raiders is up.

Raiders to Vegas! Awesome for Vegas and great for the NFL!
Now for the San Diego Padres to move to Vegas, which would also be great for it. San Diego is facing a population decline unlike the desert city known as Las Vegas (I don't get why anyone would want to live in a desert, but as long as solar panels are viable there, I digress)

Now for the San Diego Padres to move to Vegas, which would also be great for it. San Diego is facing a population decline unlike the desert city known as Las Vegas (I don't get why anyone would want to live in a desert, but as long as solar panels are viable there, I digress)

Population decline?

Is that why home prices and rents are some of the highest in the nation?

Is that why traffic is worse?

Trust me...

They are NOT leaving....if they were leaving I would be sooooooo happy!

Tourist taste like chicken.

lmao the Padres won't Leave cause they have a modern stadium even though it's 12 years old

What are you smoking? This market is expected to see a large population increase within the next 20-30 years...

And the Padres signed a 30-year lease to stay here in San Diego when they opened Petco Park in 2004. Quit telling lies.

What are you smoking? This market is expected to see a large population increase within the next 20-30 years...

And the Padres signed a 30-year lease to stay here in San Diego when they opened Petco Park in 2004. Quit telling lies.

he's right the only one likely to move is possibly Tampa Bay cause of their Stadium Predicament

he's right the only one likely to move is possibly Tampa Bay cause of their Stadium Predicament

How is he right? He mentioned the San Diego Padres. Not Tampa Bay.

And FYI, the Oakland A's are in the same predicament as well... Yet, both teams haven't exhausted all the avenues for a new ballpark.

P.S. Tampa Bay is locked into a lease at Tropicana Field until 2027, I believe. But they can get out of it, pending they're able to secure a new ballpark in the region.

Plus, MLB has indicated that they prefer other areas for an MLB franchise, before Las Vegas. Like:

*Charlotte, N.C.

*Portland, OR

*Montreal, Canada (Believe it or not)

*Mexico, City

*Austin, TX

Population decline?

Is that why home prices and rents are some of the highest in the nation?

Is that why traffic is worse?

Trust me...

They are NOT leaving....if they were leaving I would be sooooooo happy!

Tourist taste like chicken.

About what you said in the first paragraph, it's actually the other way around. Rent is too damn high in San Diego, which is among the greatest reasons why the city, and by extension, the entire metro area, is facing a population decline to Los Angeles, the entire state of Arizona, and most of all, Las Vegas.

lmao the Padres won't Leave cause they have a modern stadium even though it's 12 years old

Even if what you said about a population increase in San Diego was true, Las Vegas and Austin will both experience a bigger increase in their populations than San Diego would. That being said, I still don't get why people would want to live in the desert like Las Vegas, except maybe to have easy access to gambling, but like I said, as long as solar panels are viable in the deserts of the southwest, I digress.

How is he right? He mentioned the San Diego Padres. Not Tampa Bay.

And FYI, the Oakland A's are in the same predicament as well... Yet, both teams haven't exhausted all the avenues for a new ballpark.

P.S. Tampa Bay is locked into a lease at Tropicana Field until 2027, I believe. But they can get out of it, pending they're able to secure a new ballpark in the region.

Plus, MLB has indicated that they prefer other areas for an MLB franchise, before Las Vegas. Like:

*Charlotte, N.C.

*Portland, OR

*Montreal, Canada (Believe it or not)

*Mexico, City

*Austin, TX

Then why doesn't the Oakland A's move to Vegas or Austin instead? Or if Las Vegas isn't in the MLB's radar, isn't it on the NBA's radar?

About what you said in the first paragraph, it's actually the other way around. Rent is too damn high in San Diego, which is among the greatest reasons why the city, and by extension, the entire metro area, is facing a population decline to Los Angeles, the entire state of Arizona, and most of all, Las Vegas.

Even if what you said about a population increase in San Diego was true, Las Vegas and Austin will both experience a bigger increase in their populations than San Diego would. That being said, I still don't get why people would want to live in the desert like Las Vegas, except maybe to have easy access to gambling, but like I said, as long as solar panels are viable in the deserts of the southwest, I digress.

Then why doesn't the Oakland A's move to Vegas or Austin instead? Or if Las Vegas isn't in the MLB's radar, isn't it on the NBA's radar?

Stand back people.....

This really needs to be done....

https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/san-diego-cw-affiliation-moving-from-xetv-to-kfmb.15861/page-16#post-175899

Where the hell are you getting these assumptions from? The City of San Diego is the 7th or 8th largest city in the COUNTRY. Don't correlate San Diego's population size with it's market size. Larger markets like Sacramento include 3 or more counties. The San Diego market only takes into account San Diego County. If this market had southern Riverside Co. and Imperial County included, then this would be a top 20 market.

During the recession, Las Vegas experienced a population decline. Austin has been on the upswing for several years now.

As far as the A's moving: If you had read my previous post, you would know that the A's have not exhausted all options to construct a ballpark in their home market. As such, they just can't move whenever they please. It has to be voted on by the other owners. Also, the San Francisco Giants blocked them from moving to San Jose several years ago. And no, MLB won't be considering Vegas any time soon. Too much baggage. Not to mention that the area is claimed by several MLB teams as part of their viewing territory. Any team wanting to move there would face a lot of hurdles and no's from the other teams.

I was just in Vegas this weekend, and watched a spring training game with a Vegas resident. While most teams have fans there, Las Vegas is currently Cubs (and Mets) country. Those would be 2 hard fanbases to crack.

Where the hell are you getting these assumptions from? The City of San Diego is the 7th or 8th largest city in the COUNTRY. Don't correlate San Diego's population size with it's market size. Larger markets like Sacramento include 3 or more counties. The San Diego market only takes into account San Diego County. If this market had southern Riverside Co. and Imperial County included, then this would be a top 20 market.

During the recession, Las Vegas experienced a population decline. Austin has been on the upswing for several years now.

As far as the A's moving: If you had read my previous post, you would know that the A's have not exhausted all options to construct a ballpark in their home market. As such, they just can't move whenever they please. It has to be voted on by the other owners. Also, the San Francisco Giants blocked them from moving to San Jose several years ago. And no, MLB won't be considering Vegas any time soon. Too much baggage. Not to mention that the area is claimed by several MLB teams as part of their viewing territory. Any team wanting to move there would face a lot of hurdles and no's from the other teams.

So to give an idea, he is right about the A's moving. Now with the Raiders leaving it actually gives the A's prime opportunity to start the project certainly if Oakland is willing to play ball.

Tampa is the only one and Las Vegas is not on MLB's radar but Portland and Charlotte and yes Montreal are on MLB's radar at this instant.

So to give an idea, he is right about the A's moving. Now with the Raiders leaving it actually gives the A's prime opportunity to start the project certainly if Oakland is willing to play ball.

Tampa is the only one and Las Vegas is not on MLB's radar but Portland and Charlotte and yes Montreal are on MLB's radar at this instant.

The thing is that Oakland leaders have shown a reluctance in contributing taxpayer $$ to an A's ballpark. Right now, there's several proposals on the table one of which included an A's ballpark on one end of the coliseum parcel, and a Raiders stadium on the other end. This was submitted a few days prior to the Raiders > Vegas announcement. I will say that Oakland's mayor has said in the media repeatedly that her focus was on finding a ballpark solution for the A's.

Also, the A's majority owner (or one of the owners) Lew Wolff, sold his controlling stake to the other stakeholders. John Fisher will take operational/majority control of the team going forward. The hope is that a new set of eyes and direction for the team can finally help them achieve in getting that new ballpark.

If anyone knows about MLB and how the tv deals operate, will know that it differs greatly from the NFL. Each team gets to keep a huge amount of their tv rights money, while they put in a small amount for revenue sharing. In the NFL, the league negotiates the tv deals directly with the networks and then divies up the monies equally to each team. MLB tv rights are handled by each club, as such, the amount they can make varies greatly from team to team- market to market. So even though the Oakland A's play in a dump at the coliseum, i'd be willing to bet that their tv deal with CSN is worth more than what they would make in Las Vegas-- based on the fact that they're in the Bay Area market. This is one of the major reasons why they're finding it difficult to leave the region- not to mention that if they were to move, then they cede territorial rights to the Giants.

And if people don't think tv rights/market size, etc. matter, then I suggest you google MASN/Washington Nationals/Baltimore Orioles and get acquainted at that whole mess that both clubs are in when they started to squabble about tv rights fees.

This Oakland situation has escalated into clusterfuck real quick. https://t.co/zIdjeqvRja

If push comes to shove, why Raiders haven't consider using the UNLV Rebels facilities sooner rather than possibly play in San Antonio during transition is beyond me. End the awkward before '17 season arrives, it's over.

This Oakland situation has escalated into clusterfuck real quick. https://t.co/zIdjeqvRja

If push comes to shove, why Raiders haven't consider using the UNLV Rebels facilities sooner rather than possibly play in San Antonio during transition is beyond me. End the awkward before '17 season arrives, it's over.

From what I heard, the UNLV stadium is too small, the locker rooms are too small, and there isn't enough of a buffer around the stadium for security purposes.

I liked the suggestion I read elsewhere: they should play in Mexico City, as early as this coming season. It would be a test to see if they could support a full-time home team there. They could still practice and have their real "home city" in LV, but play their home games in MX City. If it goes well, then the Raiders go to LV when their new stadium is ready, and a new expansion team is created for MX City to replace them.

If it doesn't... the next season, they could go to another city that the NFL wants to do a test run in. London, perhaps, or Oklahoma City, while still eventually ending up in LV when their stadium is ready.

Archived