Pelley out at CBS Evening News

Georgie56

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if they'll go to one of the O&Os for a replacement ie: Maurice Dubois he's very well liked here in NY and I'm sure people would follow if he moved the network

He has filled in quite a few times. I'd like that.

This makes Muir the longest serving evening news host, shockingly enough.

It's interesting how the cycle of each network's evening anchor finds a way to evolve in sync with other networks.

Jennings, Brokaw and Rather all started and ended their solo anchor careers within the same time frame. Short-term anchors covered the periods of Gibson/Sawyer (plus Vargas/Woodruff), Williams, and Couric/Pelley. And now we have the new trio of Muir, Holt and TBD.

If true that Anthony Mason takes over, I have a feeling that he will be the modern Bob Schieffer, in that CBS is placing him on the Evening News because he is a steady hand to be the interim anchor, which gives CBS enough time to look internally, or externally for the full time replacement.

Honestly, I think that Pelley brought the news back in CBS Evening News. Even though he had very little charisma, he was excellent at giving the news straight. Since CBS has no clear-cut successor to Pelley, maybe they should throw in the towel and give the 6:30pm slot to the affiliates. I'm sure they would love to have extra ad time in that slot.

Honestly, I think that Pelley brought the news back in CBS Evening News. Even though he had very little charisma, he was excellent at giving the news straight. Since CBS has no clear-cut successor to Pelley, maybe they should throw in the towel and give the 6:30pm slot to the affiliates. I'm sure they would love to have extra ad time in that slot.

They're not going to give that time back. They'll find someone to replace him.

I don't like this at all. I can get why Scott isn't everyone cup of tea because of his delivery, but he's a real newsman and presented CBSEN as a "hard news" alternative to ABC and NBC. I feel like its silly to dump him because of "ratings issues". CBS has been dead last for decades, you can't turn it around in a couple of years, and considering today's media consumption landscape I doubt it will ever change.

I must be one of the few that liked his delivery. His presentation, along with the rest of the show, felt very calm compared to the other network newscasts, and especially compared to cable news.

I watched CBSEN the other day for the first time in a very long time. I wanted to change the channel almost immediately. His presentation is so dry, monotone, and quiet; he sounds as if he's asleep half the time. I never got an inviting feeling with him.

I'm not discrediting the work he's done or how much of a hard newsman he is, he just didn't seem to have any personality that made me want to tune in.

To be honest, Scott Pelley never felt like he was comfortable in that position. He isn't someone who can hold you captive for 30 minutes. CBS EN used to be a staple in my household but when he took over, I started turning more to ABC/NBC. That's fine if this wasn't the job for him bit why did CBS water nearly 6/7ish years to come to that conclusion. Part of me think that they didn't wanted to have to change up the newscasts that fast after Couric left. As for Pelley's replacement, that's a tough one.

Norah seems like the Best overall candidate but with the success and resurgent of CBSTM, I do not think they would want to mess that great dynamic. Then there is both Anthony Mason and Jeff Glor. Both have anchored the weekend version. To me they would be the "safe choice."

Outside candidates should highly be considered. Like John Seigenthaler, or someone like John Roberts and Peter Alexander.

If true that Anthony Mason takes over, I have a feeling that he will be the modern Bob Schieffer, in that CBS is placing him on the Evening News because he is a steady hand to be the interim anchor, which gives CBS enough time to look internally, or externally for the full time replacement.

And it's confirmed that Anthony Mason will be the interim anchor.

http://pagesix.com/2017/05/31/anthony-mason-named-interim-anchor-on-cbs-evening-news/?_ga=2.43783973.1475555591.1496167603-234534610.1483118219

Hahaha, CBS, wouldn't let Dan back into the building, but that funny. In this climate where they want young people looking pretty. Right, now Josh Elliott, at some bar right now becoming a lush! I wasn't a fan of his, but if he had played his cards right. This job could of been his. I'm no fan of CBS NEWS, but I will say that their 6:30PM news is more balanced than ABC and NBC (I preferred) One thing you can say is Scott Pelley, was a steady force for CBS.

CBS News will continue to be in third place. It not like CBS NEWS does well in the top ten markets. Not to offend anyone, but does the network at 6:30pm need another white male anchor? NBC & ABC have their diversity anchors, so CBS should go with a female. It doesn't need to go with the hype like it did with Katie Couric, but Norah would do well and move Alex Wagner into the AM role. The world is changing.

I say Tamron Hall, she's available...

I must be one of the few that liked his delivery. His presentation, along with the rest of the show, felt very calm compared to the other network newscasts, and especially compared to cable news.

Scott's premiere as the CBSEN anchor was a return to CBS to it's news roots, even by going back to their original 1987 news theme that was shelved by the Katie Couric era.

I guess the wheels began to fall off when the weekend news was moved under CBSN and the music changed.

I just hope they don't screw up CBS this Morning by trying to beat GMA and Today at their own game. It's failed miserably before and it will fail again.

The Daily Beast article provides some good insight. Basically, it all comes down to David Rhodes.

...Second, Pelley was the choice of Rhodes’ predecessor, former CBS News Chairman Jeff Fager, to replace Katie Couric in June 2011, and Fager was essentially Pelley’s corporate rabbi. Rhodes—who sources said has an occasionally acrimonious relationship with his former boss, Fager—had no particular psychic investment in keeping Pelley in the anchor position once Fager left as the news division’s top dog in January 2015 to executive-produce 60 Minutes full time, a job he had continued to do part-time after being named CBS News chairman in early 2011.

Third, and perhaps most troublesome, Rhodes is said to have been irked when Pelley hired sharp-elbowed Hollywood super-agent Ari Emanuel three years ago to aggressively negotiate a massive raise from the $5 million a year he was reported to be earning in 2014. In Pelley’s defense, he was among the more productive journalists at 60 Minutes while holding down his evening gig—and his compensation was a fraction of that of his peers at the other networks...

Also, I can't help but think that Scott, or someone very close to him or his agent, must have intentionally leaked this to Page Six to make CBS look bad. Interesting times...

Edit: Here's another article that elaborates on Scott hiring a tough agent. Sounds like he overplayed his hand.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/31/scott-pelley-regrets-agent-ari-emanuels-harball-tactics-in-cbs-negotiation

Don't hate ... but here are my two choices. And yes, I know both of these are far out there ...

Dan Rather.

Keith Olbermann.

Bring back intergirty. And ratings. You will with any one of these.

-- Matt

If Dan Rather returned, the next time he left would be in the back of a Hearse.

The chances of CBS poaching someone from another network or bringing in an unknown from the O&Os are slim to none. They gambled with Couric and lost; they won't go with that kind of risk again. Ditto with Chris Wragge.

Maurice and Kristine have done well in my opinion in the times I've seen them fill in, but unless if they ever transition to network fulltime, I don't think you'll ever see them jump from the O&O to the most venerated anchor chair at the top of the network. They are unknowns to regular CBS News viewers outside of WCBS viewers and us diehards.

It's very odd that they aren't immediately announcing a replacement, though this was clearly unexpected. It may end up not being unlike how Lester Holt was the interim anchor before being officially named Brian's cleanup act.

It's either going to be Anthony or Jeff, with a very slight possibility of it being Norah or Elaine.

Archived