Pelley out at CBS Evening News

Georgie56

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OH! OH! OH! IDEA!

Elaine and Reena together...miniority female co-anchors!

I just want to hear racist old people's heads explode.

Why? Two females in an evening broadcast being impossible? Gwen and Judy did it at PBS. It can be done at the commercial level too.

This almost isn't even worth posting since it's from that trash Rich Liebermann, but I see he has a piece from last week saying CBS has offered Veronica de La Cruz a spot on CTM but she doesn't want to leave the Bay Area. Who knows if there's any truth to that at all, or whether they would do a shuffle with Alex Wagner in that too, but maybe we shouldn't discount so soon Norah O'Donnell's chances at getting the evening chair.

OH! OH! OH! IDEA!

Elaine and Reena together...miniority female co-anchors!

I just want to hear racist old people's heads explode.

Minority anchor? Works for NBC.

Dual-female anchor team? Worked for PBS.

Can Charlie Rose be the anchor?

I think it would be a waste of Charlie's talents to put him in the evening anchor chair. Watch today's evening broadcasts or most of the ones in history, and the on-air part on most days doesn't require too much more than linking package to package, correspondent to correspondent.* The on-air part of that role is almost an afterthought compared to the managing editor requirements. While I'm sure he could do that very well, Charlie's strong interviewing and flowing conversational nature is much, much better suited on CTM. Plus, his PBS show is an evening show as well, so it would probably cause some viewer confusion. And if you took him off CTM, then you'd be making two big talent changes while trying to simultaneously rebuild two flagship shows. Trying to do that with one show is enough as it is.

*The only other time an evening broadcast radically broke from that mold was the Katie Couric era, but that is proof that trying to shoehorn longform interviews into a 30 minute evening newscast fronted by a warm interviewer by trade doesn't work too well.

I certainly didn't see this coming. I knew his numbers weren't great, but color me surprised.

If somebody tried to color me,.. I would kick their ass with their own crayons.

Ok...funny aside...

The local AM DJ said that Pelly needed surgery...to get the stick out of his butt.

that was funny

I was actually quite shocked by this, I thought Pelley was exactly what CBS wanted in an anchor and was doing a fine job. That said, I wasn't aware of the tension between him and Rhodes, and that's all that really matters I guess (unfortunately).

As for a replacement, I'd be surprised if Anderson Cooper doesn't get the gig. He's already within the CBS family, a (mostly) serious journalist, has star power and could definitely help the younger demo.

But how about Clarissa Ward? Talk about chops, she made such an impression on me when she was with CBS as a foreign correspondent and continues to do so in her meaty role at CNN (on the rare occasion I get to catch her). She may be a tad young, but she's beyond qualified and has already more than proven herself ready and worthy of such a position. Substance over style too, which isn't to say she isn't easy on the eyes or doesn't know how to dress. She is, and she does. She just knows how to present herself appropriately and professionally, which is more than I can say for some of these news babes today. Oh yeah, she's female too! Another plus.

Or what about Jim Acosta? His star has risen lately, maybe not for the best reasons, but in today's political climate that may not be such a bad thing. He's certainly got the depth as well, the experience, and those George Clooney-lookalike-good looks. Been a fan of his since he was here in Chicago at WBBM.

Or just give the job to John Roberts like maybe they should have just done after Dan Rather. He's got it all going on too.

Or just give the job to John Roberts like maybe they should have just done after Dan Rather. He's got it all going on too.

I say you offer it to Paul Joncich(Fmr KLAS) or Graham Ledger (OAN) because they will work cheap, and you could make them also be roomies to save more money.

Paul is out of work...and Graham needs some lovin.

graham.jpg.d331c8a0951290470e447a0bfba17a6d.jpg

skippy.jpg.ec9386c2a70bea9013f58fe8ee11998a.jpg

I was actually quite shocked by this, I thought Pelley was exactly what CBS wanted in an anchor and was doing a fine job. That said, I wasn't aware of the tension between him and Rhodes, and that's all that really matters I guess (unfortunately).

As for a replacement, I'd be surprised if Anderson Cooper doesn't get the gig. He's already within the CBS family, a (mostly) serious journalist, has star power and could definitely help the younger demo.

But how about Clarissa Ward? Talk about chops, she made such an impression on me when she was with CBS as a foreign correspondent and continues to do so in her meaty role at CNN (on the rare occasion I get to catch her). She may be a tad young, but she's beyond qualified and has already more than proven herself ready and worthy of such a position. Substance over style too, which isn't to say she isn't easy on the eyes or doesn't know how to dress. She is, and she does. She just knows how to present herself appropriately and professionally, which is more than I can say for some of these news babes today. Oh yeah, she's female too! Another plus.

Or what about Jim Acosta? His star has risen lately, maybe not for the best reasons, but in today's political climate that may not be such a bad thing. He's certainly got the depth as well, the experience, and those George Clooney-lookalike-good looks. Been a fan of his since he was here in Chicago at WBBM.

I think Roberts is just fine in his role at Fox as White House correspondent.

I was surprised tension with Rhodes was the issue. I thought Rhodes was in the role when Pelley was elevated, but who knows maybe it was the first time they worked together closely and things wore down.

Enjoyed Pelley's delivery myself, and really liked the broadcast when it first went 'back to basics' around 2012. But I guess his delivery was too polarizing and who knows what else behind the scenes. There's something about CBS News and Texas bred anchors with a hot streak.

The more recent theme music and pacing changes just didn't jive with me and now if I watch the evening news it's Lester Holt.

I wonder if they'll go to one of the O&Os for a replacement ie: Maurice Dubois he's very well liked here in NY and I'm sure people would follow if he moved the network

My 9 picks if CBS Goes That Route from 3 CBS O&Os i know well.

WCBS: Maurice Dubois, Kristine Johnson, Chris Wragge (used to be on The Early Show)

KCBS: Rick Garcia, Paul Magers, Pat Harvey

KDKA: Ken Rice, Stacy Smith, Susan Koeppen (used to be on The Early Show)

Do you think they'd try and get Savannah Guthrie? She did a great job filling in for Lester the other day. I don't think it'd be smart for CBS to hire away a Today Show anchor again. Katie didn't turn out to well for them.

WCBS: Maurice Dubois, Kristine Johnson, Chris Wragge (used to be on The Early Show)

Chris and Susan were both on the same show...thus a CONFLICT...so Chris should be sold to Nexstar, and Rick and Susan can be traded to Sinclair....Buffy can go to Gray... The remaining CBS o&o employees will be bought by ABC.

Oh...

I forgot.

ABC won't buy...

Cuz someone at TVNT sez so.

This game is soooo confusing.

You do know that Magers retired due to a battle with alcoholism, correct?

Chris and Susan were both on the same show...thus a CONFLICT...so Chris should be sold to Nexstar, and Rick and Susan can be traded to Sinclair....Buffy can go to Gray... The remaining CBS o&o employees will be bought by ABC.

Oh...

I forgot.

ABC won't buy...

Cuz someone at TVNT sez so.

This game is soooo confusing.

. Don't you Love the news business? LOL

Paul Magers is NOT even a long shot and will never happen. The average viewer doesn't even know who in the hell he is. No O&O anchors will be given that chair.

I really have a feeling they'll go with Anderson Cooper.

Paul Magers is NOT even a long shot and will never happen. The average viewer doesn't even know who in the hell he is. No O&O anchors will be given that chair.

I really have a feeling they'll go with Anderson Cooper.

That would surprise me if Anderson Cooper would Leave CNN to work CBS full time. I think an O&O anchor could be a possibility more then you think. You should look at how Stacy Smith and Ken Rice anchor the news here in Pittsburgh. I think they could easily be national news anchors.

That would surprise me if Anderson Cooper would Leave CNN to work CBS full time. I think an O&O anchor could be a possibility more then you think. You should look at how Stacy Smith and Ken Rice anchor the news here in Pittsburgh. I think they could easily be national news anchors.

Yes, they are very good anchors. But, people who don't live in Pittsburgh have no idea who they are.

If they wanted to go with some uninspired, white bread, dime a dozen, middle-aged man, then they might as well just go with Mason, Glor, etc.

Archived