Pelley out at CBS Evening News

Georgie56

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? These kinds of job openings don’t come up on CareerBuilder everyday....a once in a lifetime opportunity to anchor a network newscast! Who gives a crap if the CBS Evening News ratings are in the toilet. Half of the fun is in the challenge of turning the product around to make it more successful and bringing the numbers up!

I know. I guess I always imagine me in the position and how I would react to the offer. I would see the job as a no win situation. If he works out, I'll be surprise. Knowing CBS history I'll probably wouldn't have taken the job because they are quick to fire you in a second haha!

I know. I guess I always imagine me in the position and how I would react to the offer. I would see the job as a no win situation. If he works out, I'll be surprise. Knowing CBS history I'll probably wouldn't have taken the job because they are quick to fire you in a second haha!

You never know, you could’ve turned the CBS Evening News around! Truth is stranger than fiction! Lol!

Any company (in any industry, for that matter) is always quick to fire anybody (for whatever reason) in a second, whether it’s CBS or not.

Am I missing something here?

Interesting that Major Garret was the source for the announcement on twitter.

Found it interesting as well.

But I must say that Major is one awesome dude. If only because he's a Padres fan--but he's a pretty damn good journalist as well.

Well, when forced to, both have shown some personality.

I'm curious to know how many they offered the positioned to, and turned it down-- for whatever reason. I can't imagine them not even trying to lure a recognizable face.

On a side note, Jake Tapper or Shepherd Smith would have been solid choices.

Jake Tapper told many sources he wanted the job, and not sure if he had any outs in his contract at CNN. Now, if Jake Tapper was doing the CBS Evening News I would watch. CBS would have a ballgame if they went that route.

My old habit has been ABC WNT growing up with Jennings on WNT was top notch. Muir eeh, but prefer Lester Holt on NBC Nightly News.

I actually prefer CBS’s boring style to David Muirs bizarre inorganic writing style “the images today, that mother clinging to her child as the flood waters raged around them, desperate for hope...”

If WNT just said it plainly and wasn’t a hype fest I might consider it.

Unfortunately, ratings seem to indicate that's what the public enjoys. I loathe Muir. He seems smug and arrogant and is always leaning on his left elbow. It's as if the left side of his body is heavier than the right and pulling him down.

But back to CBS, it's a very unimpressive move. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

We should all be relieved they at least didn't try to pull anything stupid by hiring someone from outside the company.

Glor is a safe bet. When he did the Sunday edition during the Katie Couric era, I always thought of him as a David Muir analogue. They both have the look of someone born to be an anchor, whether or not they actually deserve it. (For the record, I think Glor does. Muir is still too self-serving for me. Talk about Me-Roll.)

It would have been nice to see another woman anchor network evening news again. I think the best way CBS could have done it would have been to move up Norah O'Donnell and put Margaret Brennan on CTM. I think they must have considered this seeing as Brennan was O'Donnell's main fill-in this summer. But on the other hand, I can see how they wouldn't want to risk blowing CTM's momentum. At least David Muir has the gay thing going for him. Oops, did I say that?

Jeff Glor is not a mistake. The mistake was getting rid of Scott Pelley.

I agree with what most of you said.

Unfortunately, ratings seem to indicate that's what the public enjoys. I loathe Muir. He seems smug and arrogant and is always leaning on his left elbow. It's as if the left side of his body is heavier than the right and pulling him down.

But back to CBS, it's a very unimpressive move. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the left side of his face.

We should all be relieved they at least didn't try to pull anything stupid by hiring someone from outside the company.

Glor is a safe bet. When he did the Sunday edition during the Katie Couric era, I always thought of him as a David Muir analogue. They both have the look of someone born to be an anchor, whether or not they actually deserve it. (For the record, I think Glor does. Muir is still too self-serving for me. Talk about Me-Roll.)

It would have been nice to see another woman anchor network evening news again. I think the best way CBS could have done it would have been to move up Norah O'Donnell and put Margaret Brennan on CTM. I think they must have considered this seeing as Brennan was O'Donnell's main fill-in this summer. But on the other hand, I can see how they wouldn't want to risk blowing CTM's momentum. At least David Muir has the gay thing going for him. Oops, did I say that?

Jeff Glor is not a mistake. The mistake was getting rid of Scott Pelley.

Have any of you seen his Instagram? Filled with highly posed photos looking for positive comments (maybe he’s still getting over Gio). Lester is in many of his own photos but they seem more to show the scene.

Even Brian Williams would probably get better ratings.

I always had a soft spot for Brian, but I think now people either hate him or love him. Something about the newsman voice or the long drawn out questions. ( Really liked this interview he gave with Vanity Fair). I’ve never heard this guy’s name, has Jeff Glor been at CBS long?

I myself was hoping for Anthony Mason to be permanent anchor of the CBS Evening News Chief Anchor for breaking news and election coverage, but my mind is already made up. Congrats, Jeff! No offense to naysayers who would be like "the new era of the CBS Evening News and CBS News itself will drool."

I always get Anthony and Jeff confused.

Nice enough guys both of them. I think Jeff's the one that looks like he's about to crack up on CBS This Morning, but manages to hold it together.

While I agree that he is a safe choice, I think Glor is a good choice.

I've enjoyed his tenure as anchor of the weekend News (back under the EN name)

and was excited when he was chosen as the newsreader of the final years of The Early Show.

He's a great journalist but it'll take a lot more than enough to try to fill the gaping mistake of letting another great journalist, Scott Pelley, go from the broadcast and waiting more than five months to find his successor (even if one possibility was right under their noses).

Also...if some of you say you have nothing against him, but then post something that clearly says otherwise...it's fair to say you kinda do have something against him. And like any of the fantasy choices would make a big wave in the ratings like it would on social media. CBS has never made higher than third for years either way and never will.

Just saying.

I also believe Glor is a good choice as well. He seems pleasant and versatile, he’s been groomed by CBS for better things. He’s done so many things internally: 60 Minutes Sports, pops up from time to time on CBS This Morning, does CBSN, and has done the weekend shifts for a number of years. The network is obviously going younger in order to make the broadcast appealing, I wonder if the show will somewhat evolve even more.

I think the next closest person internally was going to be Josh Elliott, but he obviously screwed himself royally by ego.

Personally, I think Ann Curry would have been suited, her strong journalistic personality would have been more suited at CBS News and it would have been great PR to give her another chance in the big leagues.

My money is on either Jeff Glor or Norah O'Donnell

Woo! Nickp's prediction from 4 months ago was actually correct! This must be a sign for something...

CBS would have been bold and hired Brian Williams

....spoke too soon.

I watch World News because of David Muir. If he's not on, I don't watch.

I cannot staaaaaand David Muir - and that forest fire, and those horrendous winds, and that desperate woman's unforgettable cries for help, even when she knew that nothing could save those two desperate cats.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to break this tread but I was looking at Demarco Morgan insta stories while he was anchoring CBSN, and he panned the newsroom. It appears that studio 47 is now closed off with a wall instead of the previous glass wall that was there before.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived