Pelley out at CBS Evening News

Georgie56

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure what a Dan Rather return would accomplish other than nostalgia. He was the one in the chair when CBS slipped to where they've been for over 30 years now.

Why not also trot out Sam Donaldson and the two of them can give us all a good "finger wagging"...

• 2 months later...
[MEDIA=twitter]923211497551138816[/MEDIA]

Jeff Glor over Scott Pelley? Really CBS? I agree with Daybreak about this being a David Muir type move for CBS However, I don't see ratings improving with this move. David and Lester are already going back and forth in ratings and I believe CBS won't make a dent in this see-saw battle. Scott was moving ratings way better then Dan Rather or Katie Couric but I don't see Jeff doing the same thing.

No offense to Jeff Glor, he's a capable anchor, but this is beyond stupid. Scott Pelley was great in that role and is superior to Jeff. And if ratings were an issue Jeff Glor isn't going to more the needle at all.

Rolls eyes! I guess they want to go the David Muir way. Hiring a younger looking guy to see if it splash ratings. If I was Jeff I wouldn't have taken the job.

Jeff Glor over Scott Pelley? Really CBS? I agree with Daybreak about this being a David Muir type move for CBS However, I don't see ratings improving with this move. David and Lester are already going back and forth in ratings and I believe CBS won't make a dent in this see-saw battle. Scott was moving ratings way better then Dan Rather or Katie Couric but I don't see Jeff doing the same thing.

Ratings of WNT have improved under Muir so this type of move has proven to be successful before. Might I mention though that Muir worked his way up the ladder. He was on location at many breaking stories. Then he added weekend WNT to his work schedule, and 20/20, and slowly began subbing for Diane on the weekday WNT before getting the position himself. ABC does a great job of building the resumes of their reporters.

CBS operates things on the cheap. Not always on location for big stories, also doing their weekend and overnight newscasts on the cheap. Nobody knows any of their reporters other than the big stars. They might be saving money, but that's why they're in third place.

Jeff would be stupid to not take the job, even if he doesn't move the ratings needle. Scott did NOTHING to improve ratings (okay maybe he doubled the 80+ years old audience).

Ratings of WNT have improved under Muir so this type of move has proven to be successful before. Might I mention though that Muir worked his way up the ladder. He was on location at many breaking stories. Then he added weekend WNT to his work schedule, and 20/20, and slowly began subbing for Diane on the weekday WNT before getting the position himself. ABC does a great job of building the resumes of their reporters.

CBS operates things on the cheap. Not always on location for big stories, also doing their weekend and overnight newscasts on the cheap. Nobody knows any of their reporters other than the big stars. They might be saving money, but that's why they're in third place.

Jeff would be stupid to not take the job, even if he doesn't move the ratings needle. Scott did NOTHING to improve ratings (okay maybe he doubled the 80+ years old audience).

David definitely deseverd the job. That's beside the point but David track record at ABC was better than Jeff's at CBS. You have to remember, Jeff been moved and demoted at CBS a few times...a la CBS Early Show and Weekend Evening News. Both times they moved him off when things weren't working out. So if they did that with those shows, what about their flagship broadcast. I was just saying that of CBS view this as their savior than they are lost haha. I guess they don't want to make another gamble and hire a star from another network because of the Katie Couric era (which BTW I liked her in that job).

David definitely deseverd the job. That's beside the point but David track record at ABC was better than Jeff's at CBS. You have to remember, Jeff been moved and demoted at CBS a few times...a la CBS Early Show and Weekend Evening News. Both times they moved him off when things weren't working out. So if they did that with those shows, what about their flagship broadcast. I was just saying that of CBS view this as their savior than they are lost haha. I guess they don't want to make another gamble and hire a star from another network because of the Katie Couric era (which BTW I liked her in that job).

Agreed. Another thing that doesn't help is that most of the CBS affiliates newscasts in the larger markets that lead into EN are in third place as well.

Agreed. Another thing that doesn't help is that most of the CBS affiliates newscasts in the larger markets that lead into EN are in third place as well.

I know KDKA is first in every category except Mornings where they are 3rd and 10 PM which they are 2nd. I'm surprised people like Ken Rice or Stacy Smith weren't even considered for the EN Job.

It's hard to compare Jeff to Scott, since there was a clash of egos that apparently made continuing with Pelley impossible. That makes the Glor hire logical, if they're looking to not have those same battles with a "star".

That said, (while there isn't really anything wrong with Jeff, per se,) you don't take 5 months to settle for him, and THAT'S why I question the move.

I'm somewhat confused because under Charles Gibson & even under Diane Sawyer WNT ratings were stronger and competitive and of course ABC & NBC duke it out while CBS was in the cellar. I just don't get excited about Muir, and WNT doesn't even you give news around the world unless it a major story. CBS News is so boring, but they do better on the quality of stories, but again their news is BORING!!!! NBC News fast and to the point, and ABC does well in strong aggressive coverage.

Jeff probably won't last long just like the others before him. If his ratings aren't good enough then they will get rid of him. I will say Scott Pelly did bring a certain strength to CBS. They want young people who can hit those demos, but again not many young people are watching news.

That said, there isn't really anything wrong with Jeff, per se, but you don't take 5 months to settle for him, and that's why I question the move.

A part of me wonders if there was another name at CBSN (my guess is Norah O'Donnell) that they were planning to move into the spot but something changed and they went to Glor.

If I was Jeff I wouldn't have taken the job.

Really? These kinds of job openings don’t come up on CareerBuilder everyday....a once in a lifetime opportunity to anchor a network newscast! Who gives a crap if the CBS Evening News ratings are in the toilet. Half of the fun is in the challenge of turning the product around to make it more successful and bringing the numbers up!

Make no mistake, this was the: "Oh shit, we messed up in firing Pelley. Now we're screwed. Ehhh, let's just replace him Jeff Glor" excuse.

Nothing against Glor, but replacing one vanilla anchor (Pelley) with the sugar-free vanilla option (Glor) is not going to help CBS long term.

Make no mistake, this was the: "Oh shit, we messed up in firing Pelley. Now we're screwed. Ehhh, let's just replace him Jeff Glor" excuse.

Nothing against Glor, but replacing one vanilla anchor (Pelley) with the sugar-free vanilla option (Glor) is not going to help CBS long term.

I agree and I like Jeff Glor and he's very solid but after hearing some of the names that were rumored as CBS targets, this definitely feels like they settled for someone in-house. Regardless of what happened with Pelley, for them to go through the whole process of announcing his ouster from the Evening News and then to end up with Glor feels like a let-down and almost a question of what was the point? At this rate, why not just make Anthony Mason the full-time anchor?

I myself was hoping for Anthony Mason to be permanent anchor of the CBS Evening News Chief Anchor for breaking news and election coverage, but my mind is already made up. Congrats, Jeff! No offense to naysayers who would be like "the new era of the CBS Evening News and CBS News itself will drool."

I actually prefer CBS’s boring style to David Muirs bizarre inorganic writing style “the images today, that mother clinging to her child as the flood waters raged around them, desperate for hope...”

If WNT just said it plainly and wasn’t a hype fest I might consider it.

Messed up in the sense that they had no suitable replacement. Make no mistake, Pelley needed to go.

I think you have your vanilla flavors backwards. Pelley is the sugar-free version. Glor does have some personality.

Messed up in the sense that they had no suitable replacement. Make no mistake, Pelley needed to go.

I think you have your vanilla flavors backwards. Pelley is the sugar-free version. Glor does have some personality.

Well, when forced to, both have shown some personality.

I'm curious to know how many they offered the positioned to, and turned it down-- for whatever reason. I can't imagine them not even trying to lure a recognizable face.

On a side note, Jake Tapper or Shepherd Smith would have been solid choices.

Archived