Pelley out at CBS Evening News

Georgie56

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll have to wait for official confirmation, but this sounds about right. The May book just ended, and looking at the numbers on TV Newser, it wasn't good for CBS News.

I don't really love Scott as an anchor, but the CBS Evening News is a very good newscast. In this media and political climate, it's nice to still be able to sit down and watch a well-curated 30 minute broadcast at night. With that said, if it's perennially in third place with no recent improvement in the ratings, it's no surprise they would want to make a change.

It will be interesting to see who takes that chair. The way I see it, there really isn't any obvious choice to fill that seat. A year or two ago, I would have maybe said Norah O'Donnell, but I don't think they would want to break up the CTM trio now. Charlie Rose's interviewing panache would be wasted in such a role too. Anthony Mason wouldn't be too much of a departure from Scott in terms of style or personality. Maybe Jeff Glor, but I don't think he's done that show in months, has he? Or maybe they don't pick anyone and just have it as a continuing roster of strong anchors like what the BBC does with their flagship news. Any other guesses?

For the record, Jeff Glor was on tonight, and I don't know if they've assigned him to anything ever since the 60 Minutes sports edition ended.

Jeff Glor filled in yesterday if I remember correctly. He is one of their best candidates for the seat.

Edit: He filled in today too per his recent twitter posts.

We'll have to wait for official confirmation, but this sounds about right. The May book just ended, and looking at the numbers on TV Newser, it wasn't good for CBS News.

I don't really love Scott as an anchor, but the CBS Evening News is a very good newscast. In this media and political climate, it's nice to still be able to sit down and watch a well-curated 30 minute broadcast at night. With that said, if it's perennially in third place with no recent improvement in the ratings, it's no surprise they would want to make a change.

It will be interesting to see who takes that chair. The way I see it, there really isn't any obvious choice to fill that seat. A year or two ago, I would have maybe said Norah O'Donnell, but I don't think they would want to break up the CTM trio now. Charlie Rose's interviewing panache would be wasted in such a role too. Anthony Mason wouldn't be too much of a departure from Scott in terms of style or personality. Maybe Jeff Glor, but I don't think he's done that show in months, has he? Or maybe they don't pick anyone and just have it as a continuing roster of strong anchors like what the BBC does with their flagship news. Any other guesses?

For the record, Jeff Glor was on tonight, and I don't know if they've assigned him to anything ever since the 60 Minutes sports edition ended.

Jeff Glor filled in yesterday if I remember correctly. He is one of their best candidates for the seat.

Edit: He filled in today too per his recent twitter posts.

Now that my mind has had more than five minutes to digest this, I think you might be right. I was going to ask about what Jeff Glor has been up to in the chatbox the other day; maybe we have our answer here.

The NY Daily News confirms the story and says Anthony Mason is the frontrunner.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/scott-pelley-cbs-evening-news-article-1.3207900

Anthony Mason is the 'fill in' host until they find someone permanent. I will say that CBS needed to do something, Scott delivery for the flagship newscast wasn't that good and 60 Minutes was/is his best platform. I knew something was up when they moved into the CBS TM studio.

Damn.. I knew Scott's delivery wasn't for everyone but I liked him. I may be a little biased considering he went to my university but truly I did like him.

Not sure how CBS figures Anthony Mason is any better, I really don't see anyone at the network who can suddenly turn around 20+ years of 3rd place finishes for that broadcast.

Don't hate ... but here are my two choices. And yes, I know both of these are far out there ...

Dan Rather.

Keith Olbermann.

Bring back intergirty. And ratings. You will with any one of these.

-- Matt

Olbermann is shooting online propaganda videos for a men's magazine. He has no business being anywhere near a news desk.

Rather lost all his credibility.

Anthony Mason is the 'fill in' host until they find someone permanent. I will say that CBS needed to do something, Scott delivery as the flagship newscast wasn't that good and 60 Minutes was/is his best platform. I knew something was up when they moved into the CBS TM studio.

I agree. They didn't start tinkering with the format and presentation in the last year just for kicks. I also didn't think it was a strong sign of confidence when they didn't have Scott front the election night coverage by himself, as is what typically happens. Instead, they had him basically co-anchor with Norah.

Bringing Rather back or Olbermann or anyone from the outside again are terrible ideas.

CNN is reporting the same thing, with a brief article by Dylan Byers. Interestingly, Byers is noting that Pelley will continue anchoring the broadcast for "an indefinite period" before being replaced by Mason. This is a terrible idea. Make a clean break.

I don't like it but with the lagging ratings, I can see why it had to be done. This makes Muir the longest serving evening news host, shockingly enough.

One thing that seems surprising, they weren't prepared for this to leak out, or at the very least weren't prepared for a reaction.

[MEDIA=twitter]869748483904782336[/MEDIA]

(Not much from Stelter, understandably, since he just became a father. Given his workaholicism, though, I wouldn't be shocked if he was wishing he was at work right now.)

Or maybe they don't pick anyone and just have it as a continuing roster of strong anchors like what the BBC does with their flagship news.

Even the BBC has regular presenters, though. They just don't trumpet them the way we do in the US. Sophie Raworth does the 1, George Alagiah does the 6, Huw Edwards does the 10. Even on World they have designated shifts, notably Mike Embley doing US primetime.

But while I'd love it to be just the "CBS Evening News", US newscasts have never been sold on the merits of the news department alone.

Could Elaine Quijano step right up? Or was she too damaged from the VP debate?

I thought she did good in the debate though...?

Don't hate ... but here are my two choices. And yes, I know both of these are far out there ...

Dan Rather.

Keith Olbermann.

Bring back intergirty. And ratings. You will with any one of these.

-- Matt

Hahaha, CBS, wouldn't let Dan back into the building, but that funny. In this climate where they want young people looking pretty. Right, now Josh Elliott, at some bar right now becoming a lush! I wasn't a fan of his, but if he had played his cards right. This job could of been his. I'm no fan of CBS NEWS, but I will say that their 6:30PM news is more balanced than ABC and NBC (I preferred) One thing you can say is Scott Pelley, was a steady force for CBS.

Damn.. I knew Scott's delivery wasn't for everyone but I liked him. I may be a little biased considering he went to my university but truly I did like him.

Not sure how CBS figures Anthony Mason is any better, I really don't see anyone at the network who can suddenly turn around 20+ years of 3rd place finishes for that broadcast.

CBS News will continue to be in third place. It not like CBS NEWS does well in the top ten markets. Not to offend anyone, but does the network at 6:30pm need another white male anchor? NBC & ABC have their diversity anchors, so CBS should go with a female. It doesn't need to go with the hype like it did with Katie Couric, but Norah would do well and move Alex Wagner into the AM role. The world is changing.

Well, this was not expected IMO even if these are currently reports. Although, with the third place ratings, I can see why.

I find Scott a very good personality as anchor and brought humility, humany, severity, honesty, attention and actual news to the Evening News (and CBS News by extension), even if it is quite literally the news program for the 65-dead.

I do have a few more opinions and a few personalities in mind as successor, but I'll wait for an official release from CBS for better conformation.

One thing that seems surprising, they weren't prepared for this to leak out, or at the very least weren't prepared for a reaction.

It's really surprising. Like this is a talent fuckup that's more characteristic of NBC. Not quite Ann Curry or David Gregory-level bad, but close. They've clearly been thinking about this for months, and they haven't picked out a successor yet, much less not have anticipated it would leak to the press? Only thing I can think of is that maybe Scott himself or someone very close to him is leaking all of this to Page Six.

But while I'd love it to be just the "CBS Evening News", US newscasts have never been sold on the merits of the news department alone.

Coincidentally, Dan Rather's renewed fame on social media has had me recently looking back at the Rather-to-Couric-to-Pelley timeline. A few days ago, I came across this piece from the LA Times from when Scott took over the chair. I vaguely remember reading this at the time, but this is especially interesting to re-read now that Scott actually petitioned CBS suits to remove his name from the title:

CBS, meanwhile, will return to its own ranks for a successor. Scott Pelley, 53, has spent 22 years at CBS News and been best known in recent years for his reporting on "60 Minutes," still the most-watched news program on TV. Pelley has said he wants the nightly news to be driven by, er, news, not his personality or any new flourishes.

His most telling gesture prior to his June 6 start came when Pelley told his bosses that he would prefer his name be dropped from the "CBS Evening News With Scott Pelley." They told their fledgling anchor that Cronkite and all those who followed had their names in the title. So would he.

Still, Pelley had made his point. As much as possible, he wants his news show to be as little about him as possible.

So, in an era of endless opinion making and personality-driven reporting, a return to basics promises a certain retro allure.

I wonder if Scott is perhaps a victim of his own lack of marketability. I'm willing to bet that very few Americans would be able to identify him by name outside of those who regularly watch the CBS Evening News. To contrast, I would bet that most people could identify Lester Holt by name, or David Muir, or even Charlie Rose and Gayle King as the ones who are on CBS in the morning.

Scott was probably the right pick at the time post-Couric as someone who could reach back to the hard hitting nature of CBS News, yet he wasn't someone people would immediately identify with the Dan Rather era. And as managing editor, he was able to bring the newscast back to what it was: a nice, hard-hitting curation of the day's news with no personality-driven finishings. And while he's not a nails-on-a-chalkboard sort of anchor, he certainly isn't as telegenic, warm, or energetic as many predecessors and competitors are or were.

CBS suits must now be thinking that there must be a middle ground between someone who can front a serious, well-produced Evening News yet with more personality and viewer attachment than Scott ever had.

This just illustrates the issue that CBS has had for decades, that I knew would eventually come back to hurt them. They lack a properly-groomed anchor bench, unlike ABC and NBC. I know you don't want to make the top talent feel like their job is in jeopardy, but it's just good business to have a solid back-up at all positions, no matter the career field. As accomplished and reliable as their reporting ranks are, CBS just has this perpetual inability to build a star. One could make the argument for Norah, but as stated before, her value is currently at another outlet. Everyone tosses Jeff Glor's name out there with regularity when rumors of changes swirl, but let's face it- he's this decade's Russ Mitchell; someone competent that could've had the potential to be a known entity (combination of recognizable face, name AND depth/style of work), but seem to never had their brand effectively built at CBS.

David Muir worked weekends at ABC for 7 years, gradually building a profile by appearing on and filling in on other ABC News shows, including being formally established as the primary fill-in for the woman he eventually succeeded. No surprises. Smooth transition.

Lester Holt was in a similar boat, even though many figured he'd never get his well-deserved chance at the lead spot. Even at friggin' NBC, who can't execute a talent change to save their life, they established and installed a familiar face when their main man fell from grace. What should've been an absolute disaster for NBC was kept off-screen because they successfully executed their doomsday scenario.

CBS doesn't have any of that, and they only have themselves to blame. If Pelley did something career-damaging like BriWi, they might get a pass. If he dropped dead, they might get a pass. But really, if you know you're going to make such a change, there is zero reason why they might feel like they're being caught with their pants down. They weren't ready for this. They've never really been ready for this.

This just illustrates the issue that CBS has had for decades, that I knew would eventually come back to hurt them. They lack a properly-groomed anchor bench, unlike ABC and NBC.

I agree with much of what you said, though if we're going back that far, let's not forget John Roberts. He was almost certainly groomed to be Dan Rather's successor. When he was passed over for the Katie Couric outsider flash, he bolted to CNN. And CBS certainly has plenty of secondary people they can pick from now — it's just that they've never gotten the primary anchor role right. From taking over from Cronkite at first place in the ratings to cementing CBS as the perennial laggard, Dan Rather probably lasted far too long. Then, once he needed to go, the outsider path they went with was clearly a gamble, and one that didn't pay off. That left them with Scott, who was never anchor material or ever really destined for that chair. So now, that leaves, who exactly?

I agree with much of what you said, though if we're going back that far, let's not forget John Roberts. He was almost certainly groomed to be Dan Rather's successor. When he was passed over for the Katie Couric outsider flash, he bolted to CNN. And CBS certainly has plenty of secondary people they can pick from now — it's just that they've never gotten the primary anchor role right. From taking over from Cronkite at first place in the ratings to cementing CBS as the perennial laggard, Dan Rather probably lasted far too long. Then, once he needed to go, the outsider path they went with was clearly a gamble, and one that didn't pay off. That left them with Scott, who was never anchor material or ever really destined for that chair. So now, that leaves, who exactly?

True. Different viewpoint, same result.

Oy. Am I the only one who liked Pelley compared to Muir or Holt? I liked him because he was helping to spearhead the revival of CBS News. I fear without him on the EN, they'll start sliding back into mediocrity.

Archived