KSDK Getting New Set

tvweatherman

• 2 weeks later...
It's not a terrible logo, but it looks super retro.

that's what I thought too. not sure I liked it at first until I studied it... and then I saw a poor accent of the arch in the 5 and thought of 5 logos of yore and forgave its shortcomings. Will be interested to see if they keep the standard, generic Tegna graphics or give us something market-centric. KSDK was always a strong station in the nation... wondering if they can recapture the magic.

Naming the newscast 5 on your side is dumb. Is the whole newscast a consumer report? Set change, graphic change is long overdue, and they are finally embracing the fact they are a NBC station, for years they didn't include the peacock anywhere.

Finally an original logo...feels like it's been forever since we've seen something that isn't just a digit set in a generic weight of Helvetica or Gotham. It might have been nice to do something a bit different with the tail of the 5 (that looks very Helvetica-y to me), but they get props for trying something new.

The set looks like a natural evolution of the standard Tegna stuff that we've seen. Recall this trend started at KARE, which looks a bit different than what KING got, and eventually KUSA and KHOU. The "guitar pick" desk looks more or less the same though.

Let's just hope that we don't get a repeat of WTSP out of it! KSDK has always been one of my favorite stations.

I don't think KSDK has the ratings problems that WTSP and KXTV have so they're not going down the "Information Center" route. I watched my first KXTV Late News Tonight show this past weekend and hung my head in shame. Oddly my mid-60s parents were into it though—"At least they're doing something different."

The set looks like a natural evolution of the standard Tegna stuff that we've seen. Recall this trend started at KARE, which looks a bit different than what KING got, and eventually KUSA and KHOU. The "guitar pick" desk looks more or less the same though.

In KARE's case, they built their new set in-house with the help of a local architect. The Jack Morton/PDG sets-in-a-can really began with KING and KUSA.

Finally an original logo...feels like it's been forever since we've seen something that isn't just a digit set in a generic weight of Helvetica or Gotham. It might have been nice to do something a bit different with the tail of the 5 (that looks very Helvetica-y to me), but they get props for trying something new.

I don't think KSDK has the ratings problems that WTSP and KXTV have so they're not going down the "Information Center" route. I watched my first KXTV Late News Tonight show this past weekend and hung my head in shame. Oddly my mid-60s parents were into it though—"At least they're doing something different."

Great to see a distinctive logo. Wasn't expecting that out of TEGNA, but they haven't messed much with distinctive logos that other stations had in the group.

you should watch WXIA's 11pm newscast called "#The Late Feed", it's so bad

Growing up watching KSDK always felt like community TV. I see the On Your Side branding along with this new logo as a return to that heritage.

Good luck to them. Saint Louis, and the country, needs community right now.

you should watch WXIA's 11pm newscast called "#The Late Feed", it's so bad

It's amazing how bad these experimental Tegna newscasts are doing in the market laggard stations. Moving the newscast to a newsroom and not putting much thought into the content of the show beyond having a social media anchor breathlessly read Tweet fullscreens while standing up isn't going to work. It's a classic Joel Cheatwood trick to move the broadcast to a newsroom from day one, and it never seems to look good or do anything, aside from at least one notable exception.

Meanwhile, while Next on KUSA has been a middling ratings success, it at least seems to be doing well online partly because it's not that radical of an idea: get good reporters to tell stories that people are interested in, and tell them in a conversational way. It's not hard, and they're not throwing everything at the wall to make it look visually different — it's still a tight shot of an anchor at a desk for almost the entire show. Good writing and planning is all it takes.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: that desk would look soooooo much better if they etched the stations' logos into those gray panels. Still a weak design, but it would do a lot to break up the nothingness in that space.

Just saw the professional photos on NewscastStudio. Aside from the desk the set looks better than the recent TEGNA in the round sets. I really like the concept of the movable panels to cover the bricks and the V shaped corner set.

The floor looks nice but isn’t doesn’t this type require more upkeep?

Archived