WJZ Drops Eyewitness News, Slowly Rebrands, New Logo Roll Out and New Set

rkolsen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's coming in 2018.

I could be wrong but if it does, I made the prediction first.

Things are slow but my prediction is surely coming through. Its almost here.

You know, when there a million signs that changes are coming and small changes are actually happening, and on Dec. 31 you predict that the official change will happen in 2018, it’s not really a prediction. It’s common sense.

What’s with the foot-dragging here? Are they waiting for the Grammys to debut the rest of it (if there is a rest of it)?

If there isn’t a “rest of it”, God help the vision of all Baltimoreans who watch.

At this point it’s like the vomit of someone who was sick, but is getting better, but is still kinda sick.

You know, when there a million signs that changes are coming and small changes are actually happening, and on Dec. 31 you predict that the official change will happen in 2018, it’s not really a prediction. It’s common sense.

Not really because they could've done it in 2019 instead or in 2020. My prediction was that 2018 would finally be the year.

Not really because they could've done it in 2019 instead or in 2020. My prediction was that 2018 would finally be the year.

Yeah, okay. When have you ever seen a graphics change take more than a year from start to finish? We saw signs of this throughout the month of December. You made your prediction Dec. 31, 2017. It’s obvious the change was going to happen in 2018.

Yeah, okay. When have you ever seen a graphics change take more than a year from start to finish? We saw signs of this throughout the month of December. You made your prediction Dec. 31, 2017. It’s obvious the change was going to happen in 2018.

IIRC, WSB's current graphics package took over a year to roll out. Weather graphics updated in mid-2009, then promos a few months later, then finally the rest of the package came along in September 2010.

IIRC, WSB's current graphics package took over a year to roll out. Weather graphics updated in mid-2009, then promos a few months later, then finally the rest of the package came along in September 2010.

And that WSB package pulled a WTEN and still went strong even if they changed the set, music, graphics and L3’s... At least WSB didn’t cheaply cut their open down to bits and loop the footage at the end, thankfully.

I wonder if ‘JZ could mix Chroma Cues into the Enforcer...

What’s to say these aren’t all mods to the existing graphics package meant to extend it for a few more months? I mean, the ticker is clearly homebrew...

They might need to change that "13" to the same font like KYW's 2003-present "3"...

Heh. I think of the KOVR logo, which is a remnant of Sinclair’s proto-McStation branding and is quite generic.

What WJZ needs to do is revert the “13” back to the actual typeface, not the redrawn one of 1998.

I think of it as WJZ being a victim of having so much stability. Why change things up or rock the boat when they enjoyed dominance in the market for decades.

They couldn’t keep up this look forever.

Dominance is fading fast plus those who kept the look aren't there to keep it going. CBS has now put yes men in place. My question is why is this rollout taking is good-ass time? Just roll it out already.

Fading fast? They haven't dominated in well over a decade at this point. Probably closer to two decades.

Fading fast? They haven't dominated in well over a decade at this point. Probably closer to two decades.

Up until a decade ago (when NBC had crappy ratings) WJZ did great with the late news but they’ve always been neck and neck. I want to say that over the past five seasons WBAL has become the consistent market leader winning most news time slots that they air in. WBAL only releases some figures and I think they have a 20% (don’t count me on it) edge on WJZ at 11.

What’s to say these aren’t all mods to the existing graphics package meant to extend it for a few more months? I mean, the ticker is clearly homebrew...

Yeah. The new ticker threw me for a loop design wise. Despite some of the small changes they’ve had introducing a ticker that doesn’t match any other CBS package doesn’t make sense -especially if their ultimate goal is the CBS O&O look. Unless the new GM came in and asked why they don’t have a ticker when everyone else does? So they had to come up with a quick design that semi matched their current look.

However the fonts, logo, and live bug seem to be the only changes made that follow the O&O look. Their transitional stings “Your x Connection” are all original.

Heh. I think of the KOVR logo, which is a remnant of Sinclair’s proto-McStation branding and is quite generic.

What WJZ needs to do is revert the “13” back to the actual typeface, not the redrawn one of 1998.

Is Bruno Cohen available? This Group W veteran, was the guy who reintroduced the Original Group W '5' to KPIX when he was (or perhaps still is) the GM of KPIX. I am sure he can find the 'right' 13.... Borrow him for a day or so...

Is Bruno Cohen available? This Group W veteran, was the guy who reintroduced the Original Group W '5' to KPIX when he was (or perhaps still is) the GM of KPIX. I am sure he can find the 'right' 13.... Borrow him for a day or so...

He retired last year.

Still not sure what the huge outrage is about that 3... It's close enough that 99.999% of people wouldn't notice (and even fewer care). Maybe they modified it to be like that on purpose...

Like, it's one thing to screw up the CBS eyemark, but thickening some tiny part of a logo that still mostly looks like the original is not a huge deal and could very legitimately be a design choice.

He retired last year.

Still not sure what the huge outrage is about that 3... It's close enough that 99.999% of people wouldn't notice (and even fewer care). Maybe they modified it to be like that on purpose...

Like, it's one thing to screw up the CBS eyemark, but thickening some tiny part of a logo that still mostly looks like the original is not a huge deal and could very legitimately be a design choice.

I literally can't really tell the difference... and this is coming from a guy who was regularly exposed to the "3" part of that logo. It's not as bad a choice as stretching the hell out of the "WJZ" Westinghouse font.

I know. Lol. I was late. :p I was just being foolish.

Up until a decade ago (when NBC had crappy ratings) WJZ did great with the late news but they’ve always been neck and neck. I want to say that over the past five seasons WBAL has become the consistent market leader winning most news time slots that they air in. WBAL only releases some figures and I think they have a 20% (don’t count me on it) edge on WJZ at 11.

WJZ only briefly regained the late lead because of the Jay Leno fiasco. WBAL regained the lead after that. I'm just saying WJZ hasn't been dominant in probably two decades. Changes should've been made a long time ago.

He retired last year.

I literally can't really tell the difference... and this is coming from a guy who was regularly exposed to the "3" part of that logo. It's not as bad a choice as stretching the hell out of the "WJZ" Westinghouse font.

The three isn’t that bad just like anything that ages you loose your sharp features and things become a little more round.

The three isn’t that bad just like anything that ages you loose your sharp features and things become a little more round.

Hey - I resemble that remark!

Into reality: WJZ's going to do what WJZ's going to do (just like Sinclair, Nexstar, Hearst, etc.). We can lament about "a wrong design of a logo" or "use of a font" all day long, but obviously the powers that be are happy (or at least contented) with what's going on-air and on-line, otherwise things would be changing faster or immediately replaced.

I am surprised that WJZ has been able to hold on as an outlier as long as it has, but things will progress, whether or not we (as TVNewsTalk junkies) like, don't like or don't care. At a major-owned station, out thoughts/inputs probably has a 0.01% influence. At a small-market, small owner station, there may be a larger interest, but it's still their station, and not ours...

Sorry for my rant, but IMHO, this thread has gone a bit overboard... (along with the Sinclair/Tribune merger thread which I've completely ignored - whatever happens will happen, I know that I have no influence in decisions being made...)

I'm going back to focusing on finding old newscasts and posting them (now that I have Internet back at home - yea!)

Jim

Archived