Charlie Rose accused of sexual harrassment

Amra

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I almost feel for Rose. Unless I missed something, all of the allegations are from 10+ years ago, and even just 10 years ago, society had a much different culture and it's only recently that this stuff is coming to light. Not to say what he did was okay, but when you get away with this behavior for so long (a lifetime) you begin to think this behavior is normal. And every generation before ours grew up that way. I bet when Rose had to report story after story of another star going down for sexual harassment, he learned his lesson and realized what he had done was wrong. Maybe not, I don't know the man. Fortunately or unfortunately, he'll likely learn another lesson when he is fired from CBS any day now.

He'll almost certainly be terminated shortly, and it will be the right decision on the part of CBS. There simply has to be a zero-tolerance policy for this, particularly when the accused admits that (some of) the accusations are truthful. Whether or not he behaved with malicious intent, he made those who worked for him feel uncomfortable. No, it doesn't diminish the impressive journalistic work he's done, but it is certainly a stain on his reputation and prior judgment, and he has no place being the face of CBS in the morning.

Bottom line: it wasn't okay back then, and it's not okay now.

It is only Norah and Gayle anchoring this morning.

This, I think, was a great move on the part of CBS. Whether it was because they couldn't find a credible substitute in time, or it was intentional, it has a few strong effects in my mind:

1) As wabceyewitness pointed out, it doesn't stoke speculation about Rose's replacement.

2) It makes clear that this is not just "another day" -- that this is a serious moment for CBS.

3) It highlights the strength of the two women on the show -- that they are credible in their own right, are capable of leading the show themselves, and aren't reliant on a male figure to make it a successful operation.

This, I think, was a great move on the part of CBS. Whether it was because they couldn't find a credible substitute in time, or it was intentional, it has a few strong effects in my mind:

1) As wabceyewitness pointed out, it doesn't stoke speculation about Rose's replacement.

2) It makes clear that this is not just "another day" -- that this is a serious moment for CBS.

3) It highlights the strength of the two women on the show -- that they are credible in their own right, are capable of leading the show themselves, and aren't reliant on a male figure to make it a successful operation.

It may have been both intentional, especially with regards to #3.

I kinda doubt that there would have been an issue finding a replacement... more that Norah and Gayle wanted to address this as directly and bluntly as possible, in absolute agreement with CBS News proper.

It's arguable that CTM can continue along with just the two of them at the helm.

Agreed, kudos to CBS overall for their reporting on this story.

I kinda doubt that there would have been an issue finding a replacement... more that Norah and Gayle wanted to address this as directly and bluntly as possible, in absolute agreement with CBS News proper.

It's arguable that CTM can continue along with just the two of them at the helm.

What a great and easy way to get rid of high priced talent.

The so-called "Social Media Outrage" does all the dirty quasi-legal work for you.

The network gets to skate on this one.

Just wait....

1 year from now TV, movies, and the NFL will be pussy whipped.

This is becoming the new Battle of the Sexes....2017 style.

Male vs Female.

I seriously applaud Norah and Gayle for speaking as open and honest as they did, and speaking on the scandal for as long as they wanted.

It was honestly unexpected but absolutely astounding. I also applaud CBS and the producers taking the time to let them do that (and at the top of the show).

The responses to this are very telling of the people posting them.

Sorry but Bill O’Reilly and Charlie Rose deserved to be publicly reprimanded the way they have been. One network has pretty much cut ties with their accused colleague, the other is invited back on prime time hours by an equally abhorrent host amid much fanfare. Tells you all you need to know about the quality of the operation and the people behind it.

The Charlie / Norah / Gayle dynamic was one of the best on television across all decades. So good that it was parodied.

Really unfortunate a situation arose that will see it disbanded and a loss for the fight against vapid morning TV (where GMA and TODAY have gone the last 15 years).

Yes the trio played off of traditional male dominance - but it was damn good television.

As was Gayle's statement this morning.

But hard to replicate the quirky personality that was Charlie Rose. It was something different - that drawl, the willingness to pause and reflect. Agree or disagree with him, his presentation was from another era, and a wonderful foil to Gayle's equally unique, yet grand, broadcast personality, with Nora the calm voice of the viewer.

Magic kids. It was a magic group.

In the wake of the recent sexual harassment allegations, this is probably one of the ones I am the most upset and disheartened by. I very much enjoyed watching Charlie Rose's reporting, and his on air chemistry with Norah and Gayle. However, I thought this morning's CBS This Morning was incredibly strong and well done. They made no effort to try and use a third substitute anchor (as they always do when someone is away, or on vacation) nor sugar coat and/or not mention the allegations. They made the decision to deliberately show the broadcast missing one of their key anchors. I appreciate that their reporting was straight-forward and candid as well as the responses from Norah and Gayle showing the incredibly difficult side of having known someone personally who has been accused of misconduct.

In the wake of the recent sexual harassment allegations, this is probably one of the ones I am the most upset and disheartened by. I very much enjoyed watching Charlie Rose's reporting, and his on air chemistry with Norah and Gayle. However, I thought this morning's CBS This Morning was incredibly strong and well done. They made no effort to try and use a third substitute anchor (as they always do when someone is away, or on vacation) nor sugar coat and/or not mention the allegations. They made the decision to deliberately show the broadcast missing one of their key anchors. I appreciate that their reporting was straight-forward and candid as well as the responses from Norah and Gayle showing the incredibly difficult side of having known someone personally who has been accused of misconduct.

Let's remember he is not accused of any crime.

He is just accused of being a pig.

Most crimes have statues of limitations...

But the is no limitation to being a pig.

Eye for an Eye??

Maybe.

But in the end...they are all just pigs.

And bad pigs...

...Have bad Karma.

So men...please don't be pigs.

I seriously applaud Norah and Gayle for speaking as open and honest as they did, and speaking on the scandal for as long as they wanted.

It was honestly unexpected but absolutely astounding. I also applaud CBS and the producers taking the time to let them do that (and at the top of the show).

Between this and Rose's suspension being the second story on last night's CBSEN, I think CBS may have set the new gold standard for how to announce these things.

While out working overnight, I heard reports about Rose on every airing of CBS radio news on the hour, as well as mentions of it on the local CBS radio station's news on the half-hour. So even radio from CBS is not shying away from the story.

I didn't get to watch CTM as much as Rose's PBS show over the years. I remember how, after Tom Snyder's Late Late Show went off in 1999, thinking, well, now all we have for good, one-on-one interview programming is Charlie Rose. Now we won't have that, and it will be missed.

Guest Former Member 207
The responses to this are very telling of the people posting them.

Sorry but Bill O’Reilly and Charlie Rose deserved to be publicly reprimanded the way they have been. One network has pretty much cut ties with their accused colleague, the other is invited back on prime time hours by an equally abhorrent host amid much fanfare. Tells you all you need to know about the quality of the operation and the people behind it.

I watched the

...just the tone of their feelings alone pretty much emphasized and foretold that Rose was going to be done at CBS. CBS did the most appropriate thing they could, and their credibility alone would taken a bigger hit (perhaps as bad as the Dan Rather-George W. Bush fiasco) if they didn't act fast enough.

The Charlie / Norah / Gayle dynamic was one of the best on television across all decades. So good that it was parodied.

Really unfortunate a situation arose that will see it disbanded and a loss for the fight against vapid morning TV (where GMA and TODAY have gone the last 15 years).

Yes the trio played off of traditional male dominance - but it was damn good television.

As was Gayle's statement this morning.

But hard to replicate the quirky personality that was Charlie Rose. It was something different - that drawl, the willingness to pause and reflect. Agree or disagree with him, his presentation was from another era, and a wonderful foil to Gayle's equally unique, yet grand, broadcast personality, with Nora the calm voice of the viewer.

Magic kids. It was a magic group.

Well said.

That now open third chair is probably Anthony Mason's to lose, but there's no doubt Gayle and Norah could continue CTM as a duo if they wanted--and they well might.

But I'm also not the average TV viewer in a red flyover state who probably still wants something formulaic.

This is bad news for CBS News, because outside of 60 Minutes, the entire brand in recent years has been built around the success of CTM, which has now been jeopardized way too soon. And the worst thing is that it was a tenuous formula to begin with because the durability of talent really isn't there. Even without the Washington Post story, Charlie was getting up there in years, and Gayle is nearing retirement age if she chooses to go that route. The nucleus only had a few more years to survive anyway--granted, by then there would have been a real shot at a solid second place showing, if not more, with (hopefully) some long-term planning building a talent bench to show. This is all now, at best, a significant setback toward that goal.

And as abhorrent as the recent rash of allegations all around have been, we're probably about to learn what the "average" person thinks of all this mess really soon--say, on December 12th in Alabama.

And as abhorrent as the recent rash of allegations all around have been, we're probably about to learn what the "average" person thinks of all this mess really soon--say, on December 12th in Alabama.

With all due respect to the good people in Alabama (and no respect for the lousy people), I refuse to let any one state speak for an entire nation, but I get your point. I just don't know that that's the best measure of our national mood.

Archived