Sinclair and Tribune Part 2: The Redux

Weeters

I’m sure the buyer would get it.

According to the DOJ, St. Louis is a market that can support one duopoly, but not two. Otherwise KPLR would have been in Meredith hands and the merger would have already played itself out.

If Sinclair was smart enough it would've not only sold KPLR to Meredith (which would've formed a duopoly with KMOV) but Standard would've gotten KTVI as well (WDAF probably would've been included in the deal since I'm sure KTVI would've wanted WDAF to have gone with them as well) and Sinclair would've kept the lousy KDNL with no news department whatsoever.

If Sinclair had done that, they would not be in the situation they are in right now

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny, after all is said and done, Sinclair didn't accomplish a great deal with buying Tribune. They got into the top markets, and they got us... lucky us. But they had to sell a lot of good stations to FOX, and others to a new company. I can't imagine stations like KDAF or KIAH or WPHL generate the kind of "top ten" revenue SBG wants.

It's funny, after all is said and done, Sinclair didn't accomplish a great deal with buying Tribune. They got into the top markets, and they got us... lucky us. But they had to sell a lot of good stations to FOX, and others to a new company. I can't imagine stations like KDAF or KIAH or WPHL generate the kind of "top ten" revenue SBG wants.

All three of those stations aren’t exactly highly-rated to begin with, and probably generate hashmarks for most of their broadcast hours.

Speaking of KDAF, KIAH, and WPHL, what will Morning Dose’s fate be after the purchase?

Speaking of KDAF, KIAH, and WPHL, what will Morning Dose’s fate be after the purchase?

I heard Sinclair will keep Morning Dose on, and expand it to some of their stations (including WPGH, which is long overdue for a morning newscast, the currently air infomercials).

All three of those stations aren’t exactly highly-rated to begin with, and probably generate hashmarks for most of their broadcast hours.

I heard Sinclair will keep Morning Dose on, and expand it to some of their stations (including WPGH, which is long overdue for a morning newscast, the currently air infomercials).

I think EyeOpener/NewsFix/Morning Dose will all just be combined into News Central 2.0 and spread it to other stations with no news departments

They don't generate a lot of revenue, but they also fulfill strategic goals related to ATSC 3.0.

Politico reporting that Pai has "serious concerns" about the deal. Grab the popcorn, folks.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/16/fcc-sends-sinclair-mega-deal-to-likely-doom-722423?cid=apn

If I were cynical enough, I'd say that Sinclair can't find a buyer for KPLR as a standalone (and they're too stubborn to sell off KTVI and KPLR, leaving them with just KDNL) and they're hoping Paid Off can basically get them out of an unwinnable situation by now showing some sort of "serious concern." Yeah, right.

Remember, if this merger collapses, Sinclair still wins anyway because they'll get the sizable breakup fee from Tribune next month. Plus if Starboard elects to blow up Tribune and sell piecemeal, there's a good chance Sinclair will still get some prized stations out of this, possibly still the coveted trio of WGN, WPIX and KTLA.

Something is up, big time.

Remember, if this merger collapses, Sinclair still wins anyway because they'll get the sizable breakup fee from Tribune next month. Plus if Starboard elects to blow up Tribune and sell piecemeal, there's a good chance Sinclair will still get some prized stations out of this, possibly still the coveted trio of WGN, WPIX and KTLA.

Even then, there's no ironclad guarantee that Sinclair might get them under that scenario because many groups would make a run for those three.

Even then, there's no ironclad guarantee that Sinclair might get them under that scenario because many groups would make a run for those three.

True. The bidding for those stations, and others in the chain, will be ludicrous. Fox may have to overpay big-time just to get the stations they want, but now may be in a position to get them all, and more.

RIP the Speculatron board lol

I also won't be surprised if Paid Off got tipped off in advance about the fate of his UHF Discount revival in court, thus forcing him to backtrack in a manner that makes Kabuki theatre look realistic and believable by comparison.

Paid Off saw no problems whatsoever with this until now. None. And he was committed to speeding up the consummation of the merger, no questions asked. Now he sees a problem? Absolute CYA territory.

Is it possible that the FCC approves the Standard Media and Fox deals but rejects Sinclair-Tribune altogether?

Because if Pai only has concerns about the sidecar deals Sinclair made and not the deals to unaffiliated third parties (Standard and Fox) I would have to think that Standard and Fox deals get approved and consummated regardless if the Tribune deal falls apart or not

Is it possible that the FCC approves the Standard Media and Fox deals but rejects Sinclair-Tribune altogether?

Because if Pai only has concerns about the sidecar deals Sinclair made and not the deals to unaffiliated third parties (Standard and Fox) I would have to think that Standard and Fox deals get approved and consummated regardless if the Tribune deal falls apart or not

Sinclair is buying all the stations and selling the select stations to the third parties. So why would they buy only the ones they’re divesting? It is not Tribune selling to Fox and Standard Media.

Sinclair is buying all the stations and selling the select stations to the third parties. So why would they buy only the ones they’re divesting? It is not Tribune selling to Fox and Standard Media.

That wasn't what I was asking what I was asking is does the FCC approve the Standard Media and Fox deals that Sinclair is selling and still reject the entire merger

That wasn't what I was asking what I was asking is does the FCC approve the Standard Media and Fox deals that Sinclair is selling and still reject the entire merger

I understood what you were asking. How can Sinclair sell them if their purchase of them doesn’t go through? You can’t sell something you don’t got.

Give Pai credit for dropping the bomb during the Russia presser, lol

I understood what you were asking. How can Sinclair sell them if their purchase of them doesn’t go through? You can’t sell something you don’t got.

THIS.

This effs a lot of parties, not the least of which is FOX, in the middle of their fire sale of some of their most important creative assets to Disney.

The New Fox plan to go all-in on sports can't really succeed without this deal. They'll certainly have the money after the Disney transaction is done to get what they want, but they'll have to use a decent chunk of their earnings from the sale to do it, and that's not what they wanted.

One then begins to wonder how Toys R Us'd the rest of Trib becomes under Starboard.

Woof.

The FCC can't approve the second part of the equation when the first part is unresolved.

Tribune proposed to sell all stations to Sinclair. Sinclair can only divest what it won't or can't keep after the original action closes.

I've had to be Debbie Downer at work. Some of my co-workers think the deal is dead. They were genuinely excited. It's not dead, just delayed. We're still being sold, and I still give the odds to Sinclair.

The FCC can't approve the second part of the equation when the first part is unresolved.

Tribune proposed to sell all stations to Sinclair. Sinclair can only divest what it won't or can't keep after the original action closes.

So in other words, if the Sinclair-Tribune merger collapses so does the Standard and Fox deals correct?

So in other words, if the Sinclair-Tribune merger collapses so does the Standard and Fox deals correct?

Yes, if in the unlikely event the Sinclair-Tribune deal collapses, then the spinoffs collapse too. Afterward, it's game on, and as mentioned above, R.I.P. Speculatron.

If I want to sell you five houses, and you want to turn around and sell two of them to Weeters, but then you find out you weren’t approved for a loan to buy them from me, how can you continue selling them to Weeters even if he was approved for a loan? You can’t.

Yes it collapses for the millionth time. How many people need to explain it for you understand. Nice thing is you got snappy at first.

Yes, if in the unlikely event the Sinclair-Tribune deal collapses, then the spinoffs collapse too. Afterward, it's game on, and as mentioned above, R.I.P. Speculatron.

I wouldn't necessarily say "unlikely" because in the past when the FCC has taken mergers like Sinclair/Tribune to an administrative judge, the companies ultimately ended up calling off the deal

Archived