Sinclair and Tribune Part 2: The Redux

Weeters

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could more companies go after the Tribune stations following the FCC bombshell? I'm not to sure that WJW back to Fox is a sure thing anymore. What about another network or company?

Lots of us have been speculating that Trib could be split if the Sinclair deal dies, which is all but a lock at this point.

They are trying to predict what the FCC issues are but may not be accurate. The issues may be with ALL the sales of stations to Sinclair controlled sidecars, not just these stations. And if the court rules to reverse the UHF discount, the deal is dead anyhow. As earlier suggested, Gray came in with a divestiture plan that should have no issues. Sinclair got greedy and cocky without a real plan so they could remain in control of most spun off stations.

Rupert Murdoch is a very happy man. When the deal falls through, Fox can swoop in and buy Tribune wholesale. They'll keep most if not all the Fox affiliates they can and split the rest of the spoils between Nexstar and Sinclair.

Looks like this deal is...DEAD

To elaborate on this, this:

On Wednesday evening, the FCC unanimously voted to adopt a Hearing Designation Order regarding the Sinclair-Tribune merger. The commission said it expects the order will be released publicly on Thursday. The decision came the same day Sinclair announced it was changing some of the divestitures proposed in the deal, it withdraw the proposed sales of KDAF Dallas and KIAH Houston to Cunningham Broadcasting.

In other words, the amendment to sell KDAF and KIAH and acquire WGN directly wasn't enough to sway Pai; so, Sinclair-Tribune is going to be dragged into an ALJ.

Rupert Murdoch is a very happy man. When the deal falls through, Fox can swoop in and buy Tribune wholesale. They'll keep most if not all the Fox affiliates they can and split the rest of the spoils between Nexstar and Sinclair.

Even then, the largest five stations in the Tribune chain - WPIX, KTLA, WGN (TV and AM), KIAH and KDAF - all need to be sold separately. Plus unless "New Fox" wants to rework WGN America into Fox Sports 3, they aren't wanting that.

Assuming that Starboard Value breaks up the company, Fox will swoop in for all the New World spinoffs plus all the Tribune Fox affiliates ... and KZJO and WPHL. That's all they'd need.

The rest is Speculatron-worthy, and my brain is still trying to wrap itself in how quickly this deal collapsed the way it did.

Even then, the largest five stations in the Tribune chain - WPIX, KTLA, WGN (TV and AM), KIAH and KDAF - all need to be sold separately. Plus unless "New Fox" wants to rework WGN America into Fox Sports 3, they aren't wanting that.

Assuming that Starboard Value breaks up the company, Fox will swoop in for all the New World spinoffs plus all the Tribune Fox affiliates ... and KZJO and WPHL. That's all they'd need.

The rest is Speculatron-worthy, and my brain is still trying to wrap itself in how quickly this deal collapsed the way it did.

What I'd be interested here is not only what Fox does with the original agreement made with Sinclair to purchase some of the former New World stations back as well as KCPQ/KTXL/KSWB/WSFL but especially, Soo Kim, Deb McDermott and Standard, do they want to return to the broadcast industry with just all Tribune stations rather than with Sinclair stations and WXMI/WPMT?

The speculations as to the futures of both Standard and Fox deals along with others who may want a piece of Tribune is going to be fun to speculate on

What I'd be interested here is not only what Fox does with the original agreement made with Sinclair to purchase some of the former New World stations back as well as KCPQ/KTXL/KSWB/WSFL but especially, Soo Kim, Deb McDermott and Standard, do they want to return to the broadcast industry with just all Tribune stations rather than with Sinclair stations and WXMI/WPMT?

The speculations as to the futures of both Standard and Fox deals along with others who may want a piece of Tribune is going to be fun to speculate on

If the Sinclair deal dies the Standard and Fox deals are dead too and Tribune is back at square one.

[quote name='oknewsguy']What I'd be interested here is not only what Fox does with the original agreement made with Sinclair to purchase some of the former New World stations back as well as KCPQ/KTXL/KSWB/WSFL but especially, Soo Kim, Deb McDermott and Standard, do they want to return to the broadcast industry with just all Tribune stations rather than with Sinclair stations and WXMI/WPMT?[/QUOTE] When the Sinclair-Tribune merger dies, as it now a certainty, those deals which were almost entirely contingent on that deal going through are concurrently dead. Fox and Standard were going to buy those stations from [B]Sinclair[/B], [I]not[/I] Tribune. Now that is not going to happen. Seriously, forget about those divestitures entirely, @oknewsguy. Everyone is back to square one. And you have a private equity firm in Starboard Value that got humiliated big-time in trying to force the Sinclair-Tribune merger. They want their money, fast, and J.G. Wentworth isn't going to help them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWahg4LA86c

Fox is, without a doubt, the real winner here.

See, the seven stations they were going to buy - including the prized KCPQ - totaled $900M. But you have to remember that Sinclair is notorious for playing hardball and only parted with stations they were willing to part with. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Fox wanted back KTVI and WDAF, but Sinclair rebuffed them.

Now, the picture is totally different. Tribune is a very wounded animal with investors willing to sell for the right price, or even, at any price. And Fox is now going to be in a position of major strength, possibly driving down the overall price but willing to get more... way more than they ever dreamed of.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Fox might just be able to get all of Fox affiliates in the Tribune group. Why not, just to stick it to Sinclair?

Best part is, they don't have to sell WPWR and KTBC in order to get what they want.

[QUOTE="Myron Falwell, post: 213831, member: 2210"]When the Sinclair-Tribune merger dies, as it now a certainty, those deals which were almost entirely contingent on that deal going through are concurrently dead. Fox and Standard were going to buy those stations from [B]Sinclair[/B], [I]not[/I] Tribune. Now that is not going to happen. Seriously, forget about those divestitures entirely, @oknewsguy. Everyone is back to square one. And you have a private equity firm in Starboard Value that got humiliated big-time in trying to force the Sinclair-Tribune merger. They want their money, fast, and J.G. Wentworth isn't going to help them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWahg4LA86c[/QUOTE] I didn't say Standard would get the Sinclair stations I asked if Standard was serious about getting back into the broadcasting game would they be willing to pay Sinclair for the breakup fee (which I don't know how much that Standard would have to pay to Sinclair for walking away from the deal) and end up with stations like WHO, KFOR, WGHP, WTVR and WNEP instead of KDSM, KOKH, WXLV, WRLH and WOLF+ Because there's going to have to be some compensation for Standard for not getting the Sinclair stations (I think they end up with WXMI and WPMT regardless)

Fox is, without a doubt, the real winner here.

See, the seven stations they were going to buy - including the prized KCPQ - totaled $900M. But you have to remember that Sinclair is notorious for playing hardball and only parted with stations they were willing to part with. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Fox wanted back KTVI and WDAF, but Sinclair rebuffed them.

Now, the picture is totally different. Tribune is a very wounded animal with investors willing to sell for the right price, or even, at any price. And Fox is now going to be in a position of major strength, possibly driving down the overall price but willing to get more... way more than they ever dreamed of.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that Fox might just be able to get all of Fox affiliates in the Tribune group. Why not, just to stick it to Sinclair?

Best part is, they don't have to sell WPWR and KTBC in order to get what they want.

I agree with you on WDAF, but I'm not sure how much of an appeal KTVI has since the Rams left town. That said, selling KTVI/KPLR probably would've alleviated some of their biggest conflicts.

Looking at the big picture, I would not be surprised if Tribune has been making up a Plan B if this merger officially heads south, I'm sure Fox and Tribune would be talking quite a bit and like you said, possibly acquire even more Tribune Fox affiliates out of the deal.

Could it be theoretically possible that AT&T WarnerMedia could acquire WPIX, KTLA, and the other CW stations and make those official CW O&Os? The problem with CBS would be the indys they own in New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, and others. That's why I would imagine maybe WarnerMedia jumps in?

Could it be theoretically possible that AT&T WarnerMedia could acquire WPIX, KTLA, and the other CW stations and make those official CW O&Os? The problem with CBS would be the indys they own in New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, and others. That's why I would imagine maybe WarnerMedia jumps in?

I don't think WarnerMedia will be interested in buying the Tribune stations, as it is AT&T is too busy trying to fight the Justice Department to keep WarnerMedia

WarnerMedia, or more specifically Turner Broadcasting, hasn't been interested in conventional television since they spun off WPCH from the TBS network a decade ago. Selling it to Meredith was a total formality.

Tegna would benefit getting KIAH and KDAF as duopoly partners for KHOU and WFAA, respectively.

Technically, WLNY isn't a New York station (CBS said as such so they could buy 101.9 FM in 2012 and remain under the market cap) so why not have CBS go after WPIX?

Can WBBM count as a "failing station?" ;)

I actually meant to say JUST WPIX, as I doubt they are anywhere near the top 4 in NYC.

Do WPIX and WLNY overlap significantly because if they don't, then CBS could make a case for getting PIX. Highly doubtful that they will but just keeping an open mind. I can see Standard walking away with the big 3.

Archived