Out & About

TexasTVNews

This is apparently over

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/foxs-local-news-experiment-in-charlotte-is-scrapped/152257

Never even knew it was a thing, but the idea sounds terrible.

This sounds almost like the quite unwatchable 'Newsfix' and it's predecessor on KDAF in Dallas. Thankfully the other newsers in the market haven't gone the cheeeap/homemade/phone-it-in route with their newscasts.

WALA Fox 10 in Mobile is adding a 2 hour weekend morning newscast from 6-8am beginning on August 8. They become the third station in the Mobile/Pensacola market to take the weekend AM plunge and will offer 2 hours on both Saturday and Sunday.

This leaves WPMI, who may not be able to start one due to their ownership structure since any additional Sinclair programming (newscasts) could violate their JSA/SSA. This could be why they recently dropped their 4:30am show (and why sister station WHAM did the same)

Are my eyes tricking me, or does KUSI have new studio cameras, or better lighting? There's no more of the orange tint on the anchors faces anymore.

I does look different, actually a bit like the "detail" was mushed back a bit. But I really don't know.

I thought the orange tint was just me.

Are my eyes tricking me, or does KUSI have new studio cameras, or better lighting? There's no more of the orange tint on the anchors faces anymore.

I does look different, actually a bit like the "detail" was mushed back a bit. But I really don't know.

I thought the orange tint was just me.

The orange must have been from Allen Denton's tan. But, Carlos Amezcua said yesterday that they got new teleprompters and filters (perhaps some new studio cameras as well?). It looks a million times better. I'll see if I can get some screen grabs to show side by side.

**on a side note** KFMB was back in the crappy Chopper 8 yesterday.

However it does look like KFMB has finally upgraded their field cameras and live shots to true HD, more than 8 years after they made the switch.

I noticed that. Although, they are still using some non-HD cameras as well.

**On a side note (not related to tv news)** But SDRadio is reporting of a format switch for possibly a few stations. One of the commenters mentioned that it could be the KFMB radio cluster and that several CBS suits were seen in the building. Anyone have any info? I hate to speculate, but could the owners be looking to sell KFMB cluster as whole (radio,tv)?

CBS radio has lopped off 300 heads in the last few weeks so that's usually not a sign of a group looking to aquire more stations. Granted the head of the KFMB radio stations just "retired" last week.

Unless there is a real sweet offer on the table, I cannot see KFMB breaking off the radio side. The radio stations are NOT losing money by a longshot. They also run radio pretty lean.

Just a wild guess....

The local CBS radio stations become part of KFMB?

CBS radio has lopped off 300 heads in the last few weeks so that's usually not a sign of a group looking to aquire more stations. Granted the head of the KFMB radio stations just "retired" last week.

Unless there is a real sweet offer on the table, I cannot see KFMB breaking off the radio side. The radio stations are NOT losing money by a longshot. They also run radio pretty lean.

Just a wild guess....

The local CBS radio stations become part of KFMB?

The radio stations may be profitable, but probably could do better in revenue. They just switched their national sales rep last month.

On the move for today:

Martha Sugalski is looking forward to August 6 when her future will be revealed according to Orlando Sentinel

Also according to www.ftvlive.com there hearing that Stephany Fisher is to head to FOX owned WAGA-TV after her non-complete clause is up. I think this would be perfect for Stephany. If they can move Tom Haynes to Good Day and have Stephany on the 5 & 11pm broadcast good for you WAGA.

Julian Johnson to leave KMOV and to move to WGCL to stay in the company fold. Also it reporting that KMOV to start a 4pm news in the fall which will shuffle the programming schedule on Channel 4. Either The Price is Right will stay at 11am or move to 10am. Y&R currently airs at 4pm will move to 11am or 3pm like (WGCL), or Dr. Phil could move to 9am a lot is going on at KMOV.

For something a little different... this clip has gone viral. During an interview with KMAX's "Good Day Sacramento", model-turned-actress Cara Delevingne caught some flak by the program's anchors after an increasingly awkward live interview via satellite from a New York press junket for the recently released film "Paper Towns".

It started with Marianne McClary calling her the wrong name, the other anchors chiding Cara for her sarcastic responses to some of their questions (before giving them her real response) and behaving a little condescending to her and after it abruptly ended, McClary, Ken Rudolph and film critic Mark S. Allen's comments about what just happened, rivaled the cattiness of Mike Jerrick following that interview with the Kardashians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTav-TowVLo

Even more departures from WPMI in Mobile.....

Morning Meteorologist Deitra Tate is leaving in September, and current weekend meteorologist Kelly Foster will return to the AM shift next month, reversing a swap that happened almost 2 years ago when Kelly Jones was brought aboard to anchor mornings. She may end up staying longer if a replacement for Derek Beasley still hasn't been found, as her departure would leave them with only Kelly Foster as their sole meteorologist.

Sports anchor Paxton Boyd is gone as well, after less than a year at the station.

With all of these upcoming moves and departures, it could be a reason why the Sinclair-ization hasn't taken place yet.

Here's the story from Lagniappe, as well as several anonymous reporters and anchors talking about the over-usage of "exclusive" in Mobile's newscasts....

http://lagniappemobile.com/reporters-going-exclusively-overboard/

On the move for today:

Martha Sugalski is looking forward to August 6 when her future will be revealed according to Orlando Sentinel

Also according to www.ftvlive.com there hearing that Stephany Fisher is to head to FOX owned WAGA-TV after her non-complete clause is up. I think this would be perfect for Stephany. If they can move Tom Haynes to Good Day and have Stephany on the 5 & 11pm broadcast good for you WAGA.

Julian Johnson to leave KMOV and to move to WGCL to stay in the company fold. Also it reporting that KMOV to start a 4pm news in the fall which will shuffle the programming schedule on Channel 4. Either The Price is Right will stay at 11am or move to 10am. Y&R currently airs at 4pm will move to 11am or 3pm like (WGCL), or Dr. Phil could move to 9am a lot is going on at KMOV.

Wow, this is big news because the Y&R have been on KMOV at 4pm for a very long time. But since KSDK and the KPLR/KTVI duopoly both have 4pm newscasts, it was inevitible KMOV would join in too. My guess is that they're trying to copy their sister KCTV and start an hour-long 4pm newscast and have TPIR and Y&R air at their regular timeslots (10am for TPIR and Y&R at 11am). Then the question is where will they move "Great Day St. Louis".

A lot of people have left KMOV lately, first Robin Smith retired earlier this week, Craig Cheatham left KMOV to take an assistant ND job up at KSTP and now this. Gotta wonder what is going on at KMOV.

Wow, this is big news because the Y&R have been on KMOV at 4pm for a very long time. But since KSDK and the KPLR/KTVI duopoly both have 4pm newscasts, it was inevitible KMOV would join in too. My guess is that they're trying to copy their sister KCTV and start an hour-long 4pm newscast and have TPIR and Y&R air at their regular timeslots (10am for TPIR and Y&R at 11am). Then the question is where will they move "Great Day St. Louis".

Great Day St. Louis at 9am?

Also Y&Rs regular time slot is 11:30am CT I believe.

I don't have a link handy but Maryland Public Television has outsourced their master control to WGBH. If I recall correctly the article said they had eight master control operators - two are staying on, three retired, one found another job and the remaining two have yet to find another job.

I don't have a link handy but Maryland Public Television has outsourced their master control to WGBH. If I recall correctly the article said they had eight master control operators - two are staying on, three retired, one found another job and the remaining two have yet to find another job.

Here's the Baltimore Sun story:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/bal-downsizing-mpt--master-control-wgbh-boston-20150727-story.html